Week 8

And the last week is upon us!

Next week: Week 9 (TBD)
Previous week: Week 7
Home thread

Reading

7th Chapter

Vocab List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Characters

(In order of appearance, feel free to edit this and only this section)
as discussed, pick roles you want to read in the read aloud. Do so by writing your name in the part * column. Feel free to break roles into smaller parts. Don’t remove other peoples role w/o their permission. Let’s try to leave roles for people who’ll visit the thread later or haven’t yet read the chapter.

name furigana description role part 1 (to pg. 172) part 2 (from pg. 181)
日向 ひなた bouncy ball read&translate rainy sunday
菅原 すがわら nice setter read&translate dmner
田中 たなか aggressive spiker read&translate sycamore
影山 かげやま angry setter read&translate JuiceS
月島 つきしま salty blocker read&translate caraage
----- ----- 北川第一 coach read&translate* -----
----- いずみ Hinata’s basketball friend read&translate* -----
山口 やまぐち Tsukki’s wingman read&translate* -----
大地 だいち captain read&translate* -----
*) those only got one line each

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Read Aloud

This week’s read aloud should be on the 2021-02-20T20:00:00Z. It’s in the discord channel in Japanese Book Club

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting on this poll.
  • I’m reading along
  • Already read it
  • Planning to catch up later
  • Dropped this book
  • Never even started
0 voters

Questions

favorite line/ panel?

just finished it and omg it ends on a cliffhanger! …can I stop myself reading ahead lol

Will hopefully find the time to go back through in more detail and pick out things I didnt get or fave bits but for now, that was another nice read!

4 Likes

Done!! Phew.

My favorite part was when Kageyama was like スパイカーの前の壁を切り開く。。。その為のセッターだ
I don’t really know why, I just liked it

Bonus: Suga’s reaction suga

Lots of great facial expressions again, especially from Hinata :smile:

3 Likes

Didn’t you say you’ve seen the anime? Doesn’t that mean you already know what happens :joy:

1 Like

I have…it’s still a cruel place to end it though lol

2 Likes

p. 184 second panel in the middle Kageyama’s saying お前反応早いんだからもっとこうバッ!っと来いよグワッ!っつ! I get the first part as Your reaction is fast, so more… but I have trouble with the rest. Is it some kind of sound effects like Hinata’s always making?

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty sure that’s it.

Your reaction is fast, so come in more like バッ, グワッ!

Whatever that means exactly :joy:
That one sfx sound library website has a bunch of entries for バッ, for example
(7) Sudden motion;
(8) Sudden appearance, like in a fight
- I think that more or less makes sense here. Not sure what グワッ is except for screaming, but I’m assuming also something speed related or something similar?

(もっとこう is short for もっとこういった → more like this)

2 Likes

Late once again, but I finally managed to finish up the first volume. There’s a ton of vocabulary I still don’t understand, but the more I read in Japanese the fewer times I’m going to have to look up words (I hope!). I think I’m going to try to continue with Haikyuu on my own -probably at the slowest pace ever-, so count me in if there’s ever a book club for the second volume! I love these dumb boys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you all for the help! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

There is one already :smile:

4 Likes

Omg, I even checked the forum but obviously did a really bad job at doing so! Thank you :joy:

2 Likes