ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 Vol. 3

Chapter 21 character sheet up!

Asahi and Sugawara are the big talkers, but Noya, Daichi, and Ukai all get one whole page of monologue to themselves.

Unrelated, went to a friend’s backyard bbq and got to play around with a volleyball. Bumping is hard!

6 Likes

Chapter 22 sign-ups live.

Everyone talks a little bit, including general team shouts.

4 Likes

Hope you guys don’t mind, but made a Kitsun deck based on the vocab sheet here. I’m not reading along but always liked the anime and noticed my lack of sports lingo. Will update as the list grows.

6 Likes

Chapter 23 sign-ups live.

Chatter-box Kageyama hogging all the lines. Hinata gets his share of lines too. Maybe want to split these if someone doesn’t want to take them all on.

Lots of other characters—getting 1 or 2 lines and some vocal reactions.

5 Likes

Kageyama in this chapter is such peak Kageyama hahaha.

:crown::crown::crown:

3 Likes

Chapter 24 sign-up sheet live.

Pop Quiz! Can you remember which Neighborhood Association dude is which? They all have at least one line this chapter.

Discussion prompt! Which Nekoma players do you think are saying which lines at the end of this chapter?

Kanji challenge! We’re trying our hands at identifying and translating the kanji on everyone’s shirts on the chapter splash page. Join in! Use spoiler tags for your answers so folks can try it for themselves.

3 Likes

Ooo, fun! Thanks for the signup sheet and the pop quiz.

Btw, @JuiceS had cracked this challenge (and I cracked myself up reading her translations :joy: It’s so good!). Check it out on Discord!

2 Likes

some of those t-shirts are really on point for them XD

does it count if you only remember them by their trade than by names? ^^

2 Likes

I won’t be able to join the read along this week because I will be on a train (I might join the audio to listen to you though!) :blush:

I love the Kanji t-shirts, it’s going to make me really happy if I come across those 四字熟語 later and think about Haikyuu!! I only knew 一期一会 and 七転八起

4 Likes

As Shimada is using his jump-float-serve this chapter, I tried making a short animation of how it looks from the receiver’s perspective (as well as I remember) to give you a better idea why it’s so difficult to receive (I omitted the jump and any possible rotation of the ball (though there shouldn’t be much to begin with) and it probably should’nt go as high over the net as I drew it -.-'; also the ball is an older design as what they use today and in Haikyuu).
For a good receive you should place yourself right behind the ball but that’s hard to do when the ball is moving (floating) to the side in a curve at the last moment.
float-serve_receive

6 Likes

This is so cool! Thank you, having this insider perspective is really helpful, I’m learning a lot :blush:

I guess the one shouting and getting all excited about using the Shinkansen for the first time is Yamamoto, since he’s the loudest. And maybe the one who says he’s never been to Miyagi prefecture is Yaku? But that’s just guessing

2 Likes

Those were my guesses too based having seen more of their personalities in the anime.

Grammar question for the larger group. On page 166 Tanaka is talking to Hinata after the game.

けどスゲーぜ
見事に全員
お前に
つられてたぞ
Breaks match how it is in the manga.

Has Tanaka dropped the が subject marker from 全員?

I understand his dialog to be (literal):
“But impressive opinion-expressing-marker”
“completely everyone”
“by-you”
“lure-got (て for some reason)(don’t know what た is doing here) opinion-expressing-marker”

Sorry for the awkwardness of breaking it down. I have Cure Dolly brainworms. I’m making the assumption that the つられる is つる in receptive/passive form. Maybe 釣られる is so common that the receptive form has overtaken the plain form? In any case, I’m wondering if the dropped が is an example of Tanaka’s super casual way of speaking. What do y’all think?

I know how the panel is translated in the English version so I’m doing a little working backwards

1 Like
Grammar responses

I’d say so, yes (though I guess は could also work here – anything that can mark the actors here). Dropping random particles from speech seems fairly common to me in the manga I’ve read, and は・が・を are particular offenders. Hard to say if it specifically makes speech more casual though.

つられてた = つられていた (the past form of つられている, where the ている indicates continuing action). It’s pretty common in spoken speech to drop the い sound so you’ll probably see it around.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. 釣られる and the passive form of つる both indicate that the action (luring/drawing in) is being received by the subject (i.e. someone being lured/drawn in) rather than being done by the subject. Here, the subjects are the opposing blockers and they are the one that the luring/drawing in is acting on, and the “direction” of the luring is “you” (Hinata). In other words, “they were completely drawn in by you”.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response!

In the above, I was surprised that 釣られる had a jisho.org entry in its own right, as opposed to being highlighted as a form of つる. Just a passing thought, though.

2 Likes

Probably a bit short-notice but I’m confused by the second part of the bubble in the top-right of p.167 (what the electronics guy says):
ちゃんとまとまったらイイとこまで行けんじゃねえーか
He’s definitely saying something positive/encouraging but it’s still the negative here. Or is it like some double-negative from 行けない (potential)+じゃない that makes it a positive again?

1 Like

Pretty sure he’s saying “if you guys properly come together you’ll get to a good place, isn’t that right?”

The 行けんじゃねぇ I broke down as 行けるの + じゃない where the じゃない is the standard “isn’t it that” sort of deal.

4 Likes

@BarelyFragile since you’re reading a lot, do you have any recommendations for things that are on a similar level to Haikyuu? I find this to be the right level for me, but I struggle to find other works like it (usually they’re too hard for me).

1 Like

What books have you tried so far?

Most of my suggestions for other manga similar to Haikyuu level is going to be other shounen/shounen jump manga. I started reading things like Naruto, My Hero Academia, Bleach, etc., at around the same time I tried reading Haikyuu, and they all followed the same learning curve (where the first few chapters seemed more difficult and everything since then has been very manageable except when someone starts monologuing). Something like Attack on Titan is more challenging, but not significantly more so, in my opinion – you just have to look up more words since there’s more text.

On the more shoujo side, I’ve read and would recommend「不可解なぼくのすべてを」 (a beginner book club pick), 「明日、私は誰かの彼女」 (something Amazon JP recommended to me that just seemed interesting – it’s about rental girlfriends from the girls’ perspectives), and 「トニカクカワイイ」 (a cute story about a very young married couple dating and living together). All of these have been about the same level, though the first two don’t use furigana, and have presented a similar level of difficulty as Haikyuu (though in some ways they’re a little easier to pick up since there aren’t very specific sports or fighting related terms). I’ve also picked up ホリミヤ, and a quick peruse through it tells me it’ll probably be around the same level.

Books chosen by the beginner book club and rated at around 2.5 - 3.5 should be at around the same level as well, as should most of the books already read by the beginner book club, if you want to take a look through their archives.

~~Unasked-for Advice Alert~~

In general, I’ve mostly been picking up whatever manga seems interesting and giving it a shot. If it’s too hard, then I put it down for a couple of weeks and continue working hard at everything else, and then come back to it. It’s important to read material that will keep you reading, and that’s usually stuff that interests you.

I’ve also found it important to frequently push/challenge myself so I can improve. This can take on many forms, though it’s usually “read a little bit more” or “read a little bit longer” for me, and only occasionally “read something a little more difficult”. The jump between different levels can seem like a lot, but it’s easier to handle when your speed and stamina have been built up. For example, after about a month of (almost but not quite) daily reading with the summer reading club, I’m finding that I can slowly (start to) read an intermediate book club (light?) novel.

4 Likes

would agree with everything in @BarelyFragile’s comment - just adding a couple of other suggestions that might be a decent level!

For shonen series - I’m currently reading 鬼滅の刃(Demon Slayer) and it fits the description above in that the first few chapters/first volume fling a whole bunch of vocab at you. But I’ve just finished vol 3 and it’s starting to feel fairly close to ハイキュー in difficulty once you’re past that initial spike (which to be fair, ハイキュー definitely also had, vol 1 was a struggle haha). I’d say I bump into new(to me) grammar points slightly more commonly in it than in ハイキュー, but wouldn’t say it’s significantly more challenging and the pacing means that (at least for me) it’s a really addicting read.

やがて君になる - is another manga I’ve read (the first two vols of) that felt fairly okay right from the start. It’s a school setting so mainly very common/everyday vocab and the grammar is around the same level as ハイキュー , potentially a bit more straight forward as there’s not as much slang etc. It’s a very cute and sweet story so far - would recommend!

3 Likes

@BarelyFragile @sycamore Thank you both for your recommendations and advice! It makes total sense to look at the other beginner book club titles at similar difficulty.

Very true. I was struggling to find stuff to keep my interest. Then I thought about what series I know or enjoy as much as Haikyuu. So I’m gonna give 月刊少女野崎くん (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun) a shot.

I really appreciate hearing this advice—especially the part about increasing stamina. I often gloss over tweets in Japanese at the first instance of a word I don’t know, and that’s been defating the purpose of following Japanese Twitter accounts for practice. I gotta train this brain muscle to not give up at the first sign of difficulty. So working with things that capture my interest makes sense.

3 Likes