Week 4

Start Date: Jan 8
Next week: Week 5
Previous week: Week 3
Home thread

Reading

Third chapter

Vocab List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Characters

(In order of appearance, feel free to edit this and only this section)
as discussed, pick roles you want to read in the read aloud. Do so by writing your name in the part * column. Feel free to break roles into smaller parts. Don’t remove other peoples role w/o their permission. Let’s try to leave roles for people who’ll visit the thread later or haven’t yet read the chapter.

name furigana description role part 1
日向 ひなた Orange haired MC read & translate whole (barelyfragile)
影山 かげやま Dark-haired secondary MC read & translate whole (dmner)
大地 だいち Dark-haired, team captain read & translate whole (JuiceS)
菅原 スガ Light-haired, team vice captain read & translate whole (softly_raining)
田中 たなか Bald dude, uses ス a lot read & translate whole

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Read Aloud

This week’s read aloud should be on the 2021-01-16T20:00:00Z. It’s in the discord channel in Japanese Book Club

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting on this poll.
  • I’m reading along
  • Already read it
  • Dropped this book
  • Never even started
0 voters
1 Like

I have grammar and vocabulary questions. On page 2 of the chapter, 菅原(すがわら) says

ていうか “チーム”とかって徐々になってくモンだろぉ

I think モン and とか are particles, but I don’t understand how they’re being used here. The same goes fro the く after なって— I think 来る is used after the ~て form of verbs to indicate direction, but that doesn’t seem to be completely conjugated.

The most I cam make out is

I mean, we will become something like a ‘team’ gradually, little by little.

Which kind of makes sense, but I feel like I’m kind of missing out on some grammar.

I also don’t understand the phase 「チームメイトだって自覚する」 or 日向(ひなた)'s shortened version, 「仲間(チームメイト)の自覚」. It might be that it’s supposed to be deliberately cryptic, given that they also seem to be confused.

とか things like, such things as
なっていく (なってく) will become (from this point on)
もの (モン) things

Rough translation: Or rather, teams (and such) are things that gradually form (from this point), aren’t they. (As in, keeping them out because they’re not acting like teammates might not make sense since it’s only the first day and something like a “team” takes time to form.)

(Self-) Awareness of being teammates? Not just something that other people say you are, but something you realize and feel for yourself. (Without knowing what page it’s on I’m not sure, but this is my interpretation.)

1 Like

Having some difficulty with 大地’s coercion of 田中 on page 98.

So he says:

問題児を牛耳れんのは田中くらいだと思ったんだけどな

The topic is the part I am losing it in, so I think he is basically trying to say that Tanaka is the one that he thinks can reign in the problem child/children.

「問題児を牛耳れ」 is a command to take control over the problem child, the fact that it is a command is making it fail to parse for me. So grammatically is it that he is saying “As for who?? I command to take control, I thought 田中 but…” But that doesn’t seem correct either, so do we have some odd potential game being played where they drop a character?

1 Like

Your translation feels good! The only part you seem to be reading incorrectly is that 牛耳れ here isn’t a command, it’s 牛耳れん, where ん is standing in for る, making it 牛耳れる, which is potential (as in ‘can’ in your translation).

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I figured it could be can but I couldn’t find out why it didn’t end with る but that explains it. Apparently it can be dropped to make it easier to say it seems.

1 Like

Sorry, I have another question, though thankfully it’s shorter this time. On page 8 of the chapter, 田中 says

「勝負して勝ったら入れてください‼」――とか言って来そうじゃないスか (アイツら)

I’m having trouble with the bold part; I assume means something like “say and try to do,” given the context, but that isn’t lining up with what the dictionary says. Is there something I’m missing?

I’d say it’s saying something like doesn’t it seem like they’ll come and say something like “if we win a match, let us join”. The そう following the 来る-stem hints at the “seems like”, and 言って来る would be to come to say, or something like that. The とか applies to the quote before it and gives a sense of “something like”, and the じゃない is just making it a “isn’t it?” type of question-statement rather than a “it is” (だ・です) one.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve been pretty ill this week and so haven’t yet even started this chapter :disappointed: will have to miss the read along this week but I hope to catch up next week! Hope it goes great!

5 Likes

Reminder that this week’s read aloud starts in a few minutes, if you want to join us.

1 Like

There’s this one line on page 101 I can’t make much sense of:

すぐレギュラーとって活躍できんじゃねーの?

Can anyone explain what meaning of とって this is supposed to be? And ‘regular’ what?

I believe the とって is just casually slurring として, and a regular is a member of a sports team that plays in matches…regularly. They are often, but not always I think, starters.

2 Likes

I’m now trying to catch up so expect stupid questions incoming but for now I just have to say that this panel made me laugh out loud as it’s just the most Kageyama of all Kageyama and totally deserves hinatas response.

3 Likes

I love the next few bubbles of Kageyama’s words to Hinata.

1 Like

I agree with what @BarelyFragile said about regular, but for とって, I think it’s from とる (example google search). Like, to take being a regular, aka to become a regular.

6 Likes

Haha yeah! Kageyama is so mean (but I do love him)

As predicted, I have come across a bit that I don’t understand at all. Hinatas line on p92 (screenshot below). I’ve tried putting it into ichi.moe like I usually do when I can’t parse a sentence but not getting any closer.

Do you mean the「ぐわああっってなった」portion? There he’s just saying something like it felt like gwaaa, where the gwaaa is a sound effect that Hinata is saying out loud.

1 Like

Yeah! That’s the bit! Ah cool, I thought ぐわああ was maybe another word that was being drawn out or altered or something but didn’t consider that it could be a sound effect!

It’s a running gag that Hinata doesn’t really know how to articulate his feelings about volleyball, so he just yells and uses onomatopoeia. Mostly the other characters don’t even understand him (though there are a few characters later on who also run on “instinct” who do get it)

1 Like

Okay! back again! I’m hoping to power through chapter 4 and 5 as much as I can this weekend to be caught up so expect more questions haha.

I’m having some difficulty figuring out what the ヤな is doing in Hinata’s second speech bubble here. For the rest of it, I think it means roughly No matter how much of a ”ヤな” guy you are" I’m getting to this by assuming that どんだけ has the meaning discussed in this article here:https://justalittlejapanese.com/post-402/ I’m guessing whatever the combination of ヤな +奴 is, it’s probably some kind of insult so I can move on and get the jist but just wondering if anyone has a better idea at the meaning is.

3 Likes