ハイキュー・Haikyu! (Beginner Book Club) - Week 2

please vote for the next read aloud date in the chat!

Was catching up with some reading this morning, should be done by the end of the week. Gotta love these volleyballers.

2 Likes

Haha, totally agree! I got the physical copy too, and feel like I need to buy a magnifying glass to decipher most of the kanji.

1 Like

Some practical background for better perspective of the length of the match:

Summary

総試合時間わずか31ぷん。
A set (until one team has 25 points with leading by 2) usually lasts about 20 min. Between sets you got 3 min break and then there’s some time needed for when the helping referee notes down on what position the players are starting. So a match with 2 sets would normally take about 50 min.
If you got two equally strong teams one single set could take 31 min; though personally I’ve only experienced that once.

2 Likes

Why do they write down player start positions?

Also this is super helpful

So that a team doesn’t do an illegal rotation or substitution.

Summary

A volleyball rotation overlap or player out of alignment fault is called for players not being positioned correctly on the court at service. The fault for out of alignment is point for the other team and loss of service (if your team was serving).

More info: Volleyball Rotation, Setter Overlap

15.6.1 A player of the starting line-up may leave the game, but only once in a set, and re-enter, but only once in a set, and only to his/her previous position in the line-up.

15.6.2 A substitute player may enter the game in place of a player of the starting line-up, but only once per set, and he/she can only be substituted by the same starting player.

3 Likes

Thanks so much @JuiceS & @alo for the volleyball info! Particularly on the set timings - I got from context that 31 mins was a short match but didn’t realise it was that exceptionally short! Poor Hinata :disappointed:

1 Like

On page 43 and 44 the kanji 左 and 右 both have the furigana そこ. Why is this? I have encountered a few kanji where the reading is different than what I thought it would be. Like I understand the sentence and how そこ can kind of be interchangeable but I’m really curious as to the why of it.

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, it’s my first book and I’m really struggling so much without my beginner textbook training wheels xD There have been a few pages so far (mainly 35 and 36 I think) where I feel I hardly understood a word.

We talked about that regarding the schools names last time. I think it was they way that they “said” what was written in with the furigana and the kanji than made clear what they were talking about. So in that case Kageyama would said that Hinata was “there” (そこ) and for him it would be clear which “there” he meant. To make it clear to the reader as well and specify which “there”, they put the kanji 左 so the reader knows that Kageyama meant “to the left”.

5 Likes

@yukinet this will all be just in time for summer 2021 Olympics. :sweat_smile: hopefully

1 Like

Oh haha sorry, I must have missed that or forgotten it. That makes sense though, thank you for the explanation! Do you know if that is normal in other literature as well, that doesn’t necessarily use furigana regularly?

On another note, I finally finished reading for this week!

2 Likes

I haven’t read that much in japanese yet except for the texts in my grammar book; or at least not much that doesn’t use furigana. I think in some manga, even when they generally furigana don’t use furigana, you can sometimes see it if a reading is somehow special though, like for names.
Maybe someone else has more experience.

1 Like

In light novels they will also clarify things like this even when the rest of the LN doesn’t use furigana.

Plus, pretty much all media will use furigana for non-jouyou Kanji.

1 Like

only for the first appearance.

1 Like

Aye good point.

Looks like we need to fill more roles so have also put myself down for sugawara as he also just has a few lines and he’s one of my faves. If parts happen to fill up though then happy to offer him back up!

tenor (1)

2 Likes

Whoops, forgot to ask my question!

Page 56

Why the passive? Is it in a general ‘trying to create a polite distance’ sort of way?

sugamama <3

1 Like