デンジはまた読んでる — denji’s reading thread

yeah hes pretty insane (rezes more insane though lmao) so almost all of what he says is like very random and odd

1 Like
festival

ive seen ても used this way a few times where it doesnt really work as ‘even’ or ‘even though’, so is it being used as like listing off things? for context reze asked denji if he wants to ruj away with her and hes trying to tell her why he doesnt want to

1 Like

I think it can work as “even” here.
監視がなくても 遠くにいけるようになったし
監視(monitoring, supervision)がなくても => Even without supervision/Even though I’m not being monitored

Possible translation: Recently, I’ve been getting appreciated at work. I can go farther away even without any supervision.

Since Makima said she’d kill him if he ran off, it’s a big deal that he can move a little more freely now, so that’s why this counts as his reason to not go with Reze.

(I’ve started reading Chainsaw Man because of this thread :grin: )

2 Likes

ahh ok that makes sense

and have fun with reading, im going through it way faster than i expected cause i cant put it down lmao

2 Likes
on top of a moving car

denji is arguing with reze on top of a car because hes mad that she killed a few people and is now trying to kill him, as one does

but it looks like hes saying ‘because if any more people doe because of me (reze killed them to ‘show denji her power’), waking up wont be bad!’

waking up wont be bad doesnt seem right

1 Like

寝覚めが悪い is an expression! It means like “to feel guilty/bad” or “weigh on my conscience”.

I know its a little different, but I remember it by thinking of the English expression “I can’t sleep at night”/“How can you sleep at night?”

1 Like

honestly expressions are so hard to figure out, especially like idioms and stuff (even in english, i should pay more attention in english)

1 Like
denji sad at the beach

reze is walking away from denji because she doesnt wanna get arrested (a lot of shit happened lmao), and denjis upset cause he thinks shes hot, so he says ‘today at noon…wait for me at that cafe’ (the one she works at)
anyway what does から mean here? i doubt its since or because but maybe it is idk

also im almost done with volume 6 alr and officially halfway through the manga!

1 Like

If you’re getting the “won’t” from な, it’s なるから abbreviated.

He does say in the translation, “I won’t be able to sleep at night.”

1 Like

He is the one who waits…

(Breaking bad joke)

So it’s not really “since/because”, but similar.

Just saying, “I’ll be waiting(, so…)”

Or maybe you could think of it as, “(go,) because I’ll be waiting”

1 Like

was debating between that and ない but that makes more sense on second though

1 Like

quick question just in general about な, using 食べる as an example

so is there a way to tell the difference between 食べるな! (dont eat that!) and 食べるな (食べる + な particle), or do you just have to rely on context

or am i js making the second one up completely

1 Like

Yeah I’m pretty sure the second な has to come after a noun.

3 Likes

Wait until you see 食べな.

2 Likes

so i was making up 食べる+な particle💀

i was trying to ask about what you js said but conflated it with 食べるな (imperative negative or wtv) and ended up confusing myself and stuff

2 Likes
more 関西弁?

if context is needed for this js lmk but is ちゃうくて some kind of thing they say in the kansai region or something? i cant find anything on it

1 Like

You can’t? :thinking:

Do you want to know if it’s kansai ben or do you want to know what it means?

1 Like

uh both

idk how its supposed to function in that sentence

1 Like

Can I get more context?

Seems like it might be じゃなくて, makes more sense here.

basically some guy (kurose from kyoto) is crashing at another guys (js gonna call him guy 2) place

guy 2 lives in tokyo, so he asked kurose why hes crashing at his place instead of going to like a hotel or his gf’s house (she lives in tokyo too ig)

and im confused about how ちゃうくて works here, looks like hes telling him NOT to stay with him, so じゃなくて is probably correct

i assumed it was kansai-ben because they both talk to each other in that dialect im pretty sure

1 Like