デンジはまた読んでる — denji’s reading thread

I take it you are talking about the で in 僕らの桃源郷である ? If so, that is because it is the literary / formal である form, which is the formal equivalent of だ. I would translate it like it’s our “Shangri-la”

2 Likes

You mean ‘panel on the left’, with アメリカ発のレストランチェーンで I assume, since there isn’t a で in the panel on the right. That’s just the -te form of the copula だ, linking two related sentences. Often ends up translated “and”.

3 Likes

yeah left💀idk why i said right

and i didnt know that but makes sense

sorry abt the confusion matskye i hadnt read that part yet, ive come across である before and that explanation makes sense

3 Likes

That’s a good one to know.

Also, hello. I’m caught up with the few days I was busy. :raising_hand_man:

1 Like
ニシキ

not 100% sure how this sentence fits together

so kaneki was in the area that this guy (nishiki) claims to be his feeding ground (theyre both ghouls now), so he was beating him up
then touka came to defend kaneki so shes arguing with nishiki

anteiku is like a cafe that helps hungry ghouls out yk and ig they manage 20区?

anyway this is what i cant figure out

second page bottom right (confirmed its on the right this time) 「あんていく」のヒヨった連中にゴチャゴチャ言われる筋合いねえだよ
assuming it means smth like ‘i dont need to be told what to do by the fools (scaredy cats? chickens? ヒヨった means to become scared afaik) at anteiku’ 筋合い is whats tripping me up most

1 Like

Don’t have the right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ohh and ゴチャゴチャ is like complaining kinda so hes saying they dont have the right to complain prob

1 Like

this is pretty far back in volume 1 (chapter 4 or smth) compared to where i am now (like almost done w chaoter 7) but even though its been sitting for a couple days i cant figure it out

hide said 焼いたら but thats a conditional? my caveman brain cant compute that

context is theyre at a restaurant and kanekis wondering why his food tastes like shit

1 Like

I think here the tara is used as a suggestion. Because it’s only half-baked, he suggest heating the stone up. See the second entry under “たら for Reference and Suggestion”

2 Likes

If you cooked it on the stone?

3 Likes

I think he suggests baking something on the stone (石で, not 石を)

4 Likes

i alr told matskye but my phone got beat up so ill prob take a day or two break from reading and stuff js until i can get my whole situation settled with jisho (jisho has been my savior this past week ong)

3 Likes
Summary

長近 (ながちか) is hide’s famoly name

so nishiki is abt to eat hide and kaneki is trying to stop him (by getting beat up again)

im having a hard time on the last panel on the second page

also i cant figure out how to break down こなくちゃ

(this is the next page)

1 Like

Isn’t it like, “stand up, or do you want me to start with killing Nagachika/ start from the other person/over there?”

You say break down, so do you already know the meaning?

I thought so, I suspected as much, Just as I thought, Now you are talking, That’s the spirit

From そうくると思った

2 Likes

ちゃ is a contraction of ては, so that’s こなくては. You’ll often see “have to …” constructions contracted like this as well, dropping the いけない/ならない/ダメ part of the construction and keeping only the conditional part, so こなくちゃ is a contraction of こなくては which could be a contraction of こなくてはいけない, which means I’d interpret そうこなくちゃ as “that’s the way it has to be” or something along those lines.

Does that help?

I don’t think that’s quite right, I don’t think you can contract と思った like that, but maybe I’m wrong. Did you find this somewhere?

2 Likes

this coming from 来ない?

1 Like

Yes.

~なくてはいけない is “have to X” (or more literally: not X is no good). こなくちゃ being a contraction of that means have to [whatever 来る is expressing here].

来る in this sentence I interpret as meaning “to come to pass” essentially. The Japanese definition I’m going off is

事態が進んで、ある状態に至る。

So in a literal sense “the state of affairs progressing into a given situation”

1 Like

Oh, I hadn’t thought of it like this.

I meant that that’s the intended meaning, since I couldn’t figure out how to get from そうこなくちゃ to that. I was at least trying to present a similarly worded phrase with a similar meaning.

2 Likes

ohh i get it now, ik abt the ‘have to’ meaning (that and きゃいけない do the same thing afaik), mostly confused about taking 来ない literally or not

maybe having trouble breaking this down wasnt the best choice of words but thanks that helps a lot

1 Like

Yup, なきゃ is a contraction of なければ

You do, just not in the “physically come to a place” sense. 来る has a bunch of meanings, one of which is about things happening, like how it’s used here. Besides those two, Goo lists seven other meanings, including “to come” in the sense of time (as in “winter is coming”), or a reaction to something happening (like someone getting a joke or having an emotional response to something). I don’t think this particular meaning is any less literal than others.

1 Like