デンジはまた読んでる — denji’s reading thread

trying to get to a point where i can read without furigana because all the stuff i really wanna read doesnt have it😩

2 Likes

Random Japanese connection: the book Urn Burial is mentioned in Natsume Soseki’s novel Sanshiro. The protagonist (a Japanese university student reading it in English) finds it an extremely difficult read :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was written in 1658. I think I’d have trouble reading it. :joy:

2 Likes

You can give it a try if you like… It’s in a somewhat florid style but the mid-17th century is Modern English, at least.

2 Likes

Aye fair enough, that was a bit facetious of me. :wink:

But now I’m wondering if it was the prose or whether a Japanese University Student of that era would have been familiar with Greek/Latin mythology since Pompey and Theseus get name dropped in the first 3 paragraphs.

2 Likes

Soseki taught English Literature at Tokyo Imperial University in that period, so he is “writing what he knows” both in Sanshiro and Wagahai wa Neko de Aru (which has various characters who’ve graduated from university). Both are stuffed full of offhand references to the Western literary canon including the usual Greek and Roman suspects. I don’t suppose Soseki was exactly a typical student, but I reckon a fair amount of this would have been on the Eng Lit undergrad curriculum. (Soseki is also assuming his own readers are able to take passing references to Plato in their stride, for that matter. My modern editions come with a big endnotes section to assist the less educated reader…)

2 Likes

is this a triple negative? for context gojo is introducing yuuji to the school and stuff

でも別に悠仁が戦う必要なくない?

1 Like

It’s a regular double negative. 必要ない is a phrase that means “not needed”. So 必要なくない is “not-not needed” and with 別に I’d say it’s something like “do you really need to fight?”

Especially since the next line is like “because (から) Fushiguro and I are going to get the finger”

2 Likes

i assumed 別に was like adding onto the alr double negative and i think it kinda made sense in my head but double negatives are hard either way thanks for the clarification sorry for the word vomit😁

2 Likes

Yeah 別に is like a qualifier or an intensifier and it’s usually associated with being kind of a double negative since it changes from “especially” to “not especially” in a negative sentence so I can see why.

2 Likes

alr so i got pretty bored the other day and decided to speedrun the rest of jjk vol 1, and i might comtinue the series if only just to get used to lots of text and stuff, but im not sure so ill look at other things

any recomemdations for manga on shonen jump plus? cause a lot of stuff on there afaik is free

1 Like

ステージS and maybe 推しの子 looks pretty good (推しの子 would be uh interesting to say the least) so ill prob check those out, and for the time being everyone who posts here i think ill have jujutsu kaisen on hold

1 Like

Aharen-san
Mato Seihei no Slave
Dandadan
Kuchi ga Saketemo
Kaiju No. 8
Spy x Family
Seihantai na Kimi to Boku
Emperor to Issho
Fire Punch
Jigokuraku
Kimi ga shinu made ato hyaku nichi
Boku no Hero Academia: Vigilantes
Takopii no Genzai
Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

im def planning on reading fire punch at some point, but it doesnt have furigana and thats gonna be a lot more time spent on jisho than i can handle🥲

but ive heard of jigokuraku and dandadan before and looking at them they look pretty cool, also will check out kaiju no. 8 thanks!

1 Like

istg im so damn indecisive

anothwr change of plans, been trying to read the new stuff but then i realized that a lot of the manga on shonen jump plus arent free and im broke so thats not gonna really work out

but i can get physical copies of jjk for free from my friend so im js gonna keep going with that, except maybe a little slower cause i have scjool and stuff now

1 Like

Check out ebookjapan, there’s a ton of free manga.

1 Like

ill take a look

1 Like

chainsa wman chapter 103…the hell is hegemony?

(not much context here its like one of those banners they slap on at the start of a chapter to promote it or smth idk no ones talking rn)

also i promise im reading jjk im js insanely slow

2 Likes

Hegemony is like leadership, authority, power.

Apparently 覇権キャラ are like the strongest characters in games and stuff.

2 Likes

while youre around, idk if its js cause im tired but i cant figure this out

久しぶり

on the second page, yoshida im assuming is saying he doesnt wanna talk about this with denji out in the open, but theres no ない or anything so is the も dping the negating or what?

2 Likes