デンジはまた読んでる — denji’s reading thread

Summary

so makima is lecturing power and denji because they just killed a devil that wasnt their responsibility, and in the bottom panels しないと means unless, or if you dont, right? so いけないね means shes teling power she cant go (?) unless she thinks about her actions/conduct a little more. but she ends her sentence on しないと for denji, basically ‘unless you control power…nothing??? and she doesnt continue her sentence on the next page so ig my question is am i even reading this right because my interpreatation doesnt make much sense

1 Like

しないと if you don’t
いけない it’s no good

しないといけない you must

しないと(いけない) you must

2 Likes

so she just shortened the last part when she addressed denji?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a common way to say it.

Basically, “if you don’t…”

2 Likes
context

power found a cat and is now rattling on about her past (while denji gets horny)

question

うぬ means something like idiot afaik

is she saying ‘dont you have emotions that arent understandable to idiots or to things like cats’ ?

1 Like
same topic just a different panel

also what does denji mean by ‘でも犬だったらまだわかるかもな…’ ? pretty sure it translates to ‘if you were a dog you might still understand’ but that just kinda comes out of nowhere

1 Like

If it was a dog, I might understand.

2 Likes

why didnt i think of that💀

1 Like

Thinking of a way that this makes sense.

I ended up cheating a bit, so sue me.

猫ごときにと towards (something like) cats
ウヌには you
わからぬ to not understand
感情 feelings
じゃろう probably
がな emphasis or something

You probably don’t understand the feelings I have towards cats.

This shit’s hard, get me off Power’s 20th century lecture.

1 Like

Because you’re not a dog.

4 Likes

It’s an impolite second person pronoun:
Daijisen defines it as
二人称の人代名詞。相手をののしっていう語。「おの」の音変化ともいう。きさま。てめえ。

though I think it’s more obscure than きさま or てめえ. This looks like it’s part of her oddball speech pattern (compare how she’s using ワシ for her first-person pronoun, じゃ for copula and how she negates verbs).

3 Likes

yeah she talks so damn weird there was even a page where denji made fun of her for that

1 Like
if you finished the manga
2 Likes
end of volume 1 spoilers

so for context, power brought denji to this bat devils house and tried to feed him to the bat devil (it was holding her cat hostage so she would bring it a person to eat). but the bat devil thought denji tasted bad so to punish power it ate her and her cat, then flew away to eat more people denji grabbed on

im not quite sure what the devil is saying in that last panel? i think its talking about how it didnt like how denjis blood tasted (human blood heals devil wounds so it drank denjis blood)? but im not sure

1 Like

i think i figured it out

i have no intention of drinking your strange blood!

thoughts?

I FINISHED VOLUME ONE WOOO!

3 Likes

Apparently it’s something like など or なんか.
So not exactly, but close. Though it’s more of a coincidence than anything else.

Congrats on finishing volume one.

1 Like

yeah jisho and a few other websites said なぞ was like mystery or riddle or something, thats what i went with

colloquial japanese is so hard

1 Like

Haha, yeah. That’s the common meaning, but you have to think about the context. Like I said, it does make sense here, but it’s just a coincidence.

I don’t think なんぞ or なぞ like the actual meaning here is that common.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think with this sort of oddball speech pattern dialogue you pretty much just have to know that in standard speech なんか would be the obvious fill-in-the-blank word to use there, and then you can guess/assume that’s what なぞ is doing…

2 Likes