デンジはまた読んでる — denji’s reading thread

I’m always around. :eye::lips::eye:

Lol Denji W. (Not you btw)

こんなトコで話すのもアレだからさ

Talking about it in this kind of place is that, you know…

That probably being not allowed? 禁止

Like they can’t talk about it at school.

Afaik, も only negates particles in negative sentences.

3 Likes

ohhh i get what you mean

yeah も doesnt negate in positive sentences afaik but i was grasping at straws cause otherwise it seemed like he was saying ‘lets talk abt it here’ or smth

which makes no sense lmao

also now its on a bi-monthly release schedule i think😢

3 Likes

You can think of アレ in this case as a sort of “you know what” kind of deal. You’ll see it (and other words like it, such as あそこ) used in that way fairly frequently.

So in this case it’s a bit like “talking about that here is… well, you know

You’ll also see it for referring to a person’s naughty bits for instance, depending on your preferred reading material. Basically if you want to mention something but don’t want to mention it explicitly, you put some kind of indicative word in its place.

3 Likes

my username and his name matching might be a slight issue💀

2 Likes

I’ll just use Denji (csm) and denji (you/derogatory).

2 Likes

ah yes as it should be

2 Likes

my friend recently got volume 0 and is willing to let me borrow it, should that be read early on in the series (its a prequel iirc) or like later or smth like after the first few volumes like the anime

1 Like

For jujutsu kaisen I assume? You can read it anytime, really, since it was written first. I’d recommend at the latest, you read it before the main character from it (Yuta Okkotsu) shows up in the main series. Which I think is quite a ways in.

1 Like

alr ykw fuck it, i wanna read smth that ill actually wanna read every day (like csm) so even though its super intimidating im gonna read tokyo ghoul

i alr hv the manga and stuff so thats sorted out but ill prob have more questions than usual cause furiganas out of the picture now

so no more switching this is my final decision idk how its gonna go but i think im ready to tackle tokyo ghoul

@Kazzeon ill be back with my regular questions very soon no more stalling😭

3 Likes

based on context im guessingg おっかねぇ means smth like scary but where does it come from (as in like is it a contraction or smth? or smth else)

2 Likes

-ee endings are often variations of what is more normally -ai. In this case:

おっかない (adj-i) (1) (col) frightening; scary; (adj-i) (2) (arch) extreme; exaggerated; huge

(I only know this because the word came up in the senryu thread…)

3 Likes

Incidentally, I guess that manga has a “furigana all proper nouns on first use” policy – I have no other idea why they’d furigana 東京 there given all the other stuff they don’t give furigana…

1 Like

yeah i was pretty confused by that too
theres also furigana on 漁る on the page before it for some reason, not sure how common it is but i knew it so maybe ishida js likes to do that randomly

kaneki hit it off w rize and hes telling hide abt it, am i right that こともあるもんだ means sometimes or?

2 Likes

That is indeed how I would read it, something akin to “sometimes I get lucky too” or the like. But maybe someone more experienced can confirm or deny :person_shrugging:

Edit : Actually bothering to look up a link so I can be at least somewhat helpful : 【N3文法】~ことがある/こともある | 毎日のんびり日本語教師

2 Likes

oh so something like ‘there are times when’

2 Likes

Something that occasionally takes place. So sometimes is quite fitting. You could use “there are times when” as well, but sometimes is a very apt way of translating ^^

2 Likes

wooo finished the forst chapter

honestly this isnt as hard as i thought it would be im excited as hell

2 Likes

This word just turned up in the book that the 金田一 book club thread is reading. It always amuses me when some apparently super-obscure word crops up in multiple places like this…

(In that book, it got furigana and an in-text explanation by way of the protagonist having looked it up in an encyclopedia.)

3 Likes
退院オメ!

hides inviting kaneki to go to a restaurant they both like (ビッグガール) cause kaneki got out of the hospital

for wtv reason i cant figure out how to parse で in the panel on the right, cause marking the location seems wrong here (idrk how to explain what で does thats my best approximation)

the past few weeks in decision purgatory made me rusty👎

2 Likes