チーズスイートホーム: Week 3 Discussion (Chapters 7-9)

I think you got the analysis slightly wrong. “Chi is her own name” would use が instead of を. It’s not totally impossible to get a sentence such as 「ちー」を自分の名前だ but there is a more likely explanation in this case: the object 「ちー」 is actually outside of the quotation and attaches to 思う. Lit. “she thought of ‘Chii’: ‘it is my own name’”. That’s the most likely analysis IMHO.

About 「ちー」を自分の名前だ

To make this work, you would need to consider that some transitive verb was dropped since we have a direct object 「ちー」. Possibly a contraction of …名前にするのだ. “It is that she made ‘Chi’ her own name.” But the parse I gave above as XをYと思う is much more likely.

3 Likes

Or, to word it in slightly more natural English, “It seems she thought that「ちー」is her own name”

4 Likes

Seeing as you quoted 2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz’s post verbatim, if this is supposed to be some passive-aggressive comment implying that my contribution is unwelcome, please feel free to ignore me.

Obviously, I was pointing out that the grammatical breakdown was unlikely, not that the translation was bad.

I’m not saying your interpretation is wrong, just that there’s a time for vector analysis, and there’s a time for just sitting down and going “well, what does it actually say?”

3 Likes

After I posted my reply I was looking at that を and definitely thought it was strange. Originally I thought that maybe I was just missing some rule that changes particles when sentences get embedded (like が becoming の in some cases, I think?).

Your explanation makes more sense. My mind usually goes and grabs everything before a quoting と as the embedded sentence, but it seems I need to think that more thoroughly.

Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

I’m just reading along and I have to say these chapters were a lot easier and thus more enjoyable than the last 3 chapters. I actually understood some stuff on my own.

On page 51, the two sentences said by the father I interpreted as “It’s pointless [to give the cat a name], because we don’t keep it” and “It’d be too difficult if we become attached”? Though I’m really not sure about the second one, really tough sentence.

Though, a few questions remain:
On page 63 there’s あ~あ まただめだったよ = Ahh, in vain again (as in the person she called didn’t want to take the cat)?
Also what does the father mean with “とつ” and “おつ” on page 64?

あれれ 伸びちやつた or is it あれれ 伸びちやった? What does it mean? Besides 伸びる - to stretch from the vocab sheet I can’t make sense of the rest, which is probably grammar?
Also is there any way to reliably tell if it’s っ or つ? This and the often unreadable furigana is very frustrating.
The same on page 74: ここはとつてもいいねどこ or ここはとってもいいねどこ? Though, I think it means something along the lines of “This place is good for the time being”?

Would be great if somebody could clarify these things.

I’m glad and quite exhausted now after going through the chapters. Sometimes it feels like I wont learn a lot if I have to look up the whole sentence to make sense of it, but I guess things will stick and it’ll be easier in the future.
I just wonder if I should try to read it out loud? I guess it’s not really useful since I have no idea if I pronounce it right especially because there’s no way to hear it spoken. I guess it’s more wise to just shadow from videos/shows. Heck, even trying to pronounce a simple sentence can be a real tongue twister. :smiley:

5 Likes

p63 I think you are right here
p64 I think the father is just making noises of surprise, particularly the おっ
p73 あれれ is like “ah” or “aw”, it’s kind of a filler word people say (like あらあら)
伸びちゃった = のびてしまいました - he’s completely stretched out
のびる:to stretch
しまう:to do completely (use after て form of a verb)
p74 it’s とっても which is an emphatic form of とても、very

Unreadable furigana - magnifying glass? (I’m serious! I use one sometimes!)

7 Likes

100 % yes! It is, I must admit, something I often neglect to do, but the more you can read this out loud, the better.

You might not be able to hear these exact pages spoken, but there is plenty of material on-line where you can hear Japanese spoken while following along with the hiragana. A really excellent place to start are the “Japanese Ammo with Misa” videos on YouTube. Here’s a playlist for her vocab lessons, which will provide lots and lots of practice on the sounds of hiragana.

And yes, reading manga I need my strongest glasses, and keep a magnifying glass handy too!

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanations, that helped clear up a lot! :slight_smile:

I’m reading the e-book and the more I zoom in the more pixelated it gets, hah. It’s not terribly bad, though. It just takes an additional 30 seconds or so to figure out the kanji/word and most of them are included in the vocab sheet anyway.

Yeah, I’m using Forvo for words I haven’t heard pronounced in either learning material I’m using. I think it’s more about the fact that when I’m reading it out loud my brain is already overloaded with mapping the kana to the appropriate sound, then gluing it together + trying to speak it out loud. This usually results in mumbling it in how I’d pronounce it in my native language rather than how it could sound in Japanese. I’m not sure if this is bad or not; It’ll probably get better over time though.

Thanks for the link. I’m currently watching her grammar videos, but I didn’t realize she also has vocab videos.

1 Like

New thread is here \o/ チーズスイートホーム: Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 10-12)

2 Likes

p56 dialogue typed out:

かわいい子猫が生まれましたさし上げます (panel 1)
子猫を保護していますもらってください (panel 2)
事情をあって飼えなくてなりました (panel 2, second speech bubble)
”もらってください”ばっかりじゃない (panel 3)

チ-
チ-してくる
は-い

Edit: p58 - ほらね-see, you see, ha (last panel, bellow mom’s speech bubble)

もらってくれる人はみつからないし means “We can’t find a person to take her”, right? I’m comparing my understanding to some fantranslation, and it says “Maybe the one who lost him is searching”, which seems wrong?

1 Like

I read it the same as you:

もらって = 貰う(to take, receive) in te (continuative) form
くれる = 呉れる (to give, to let someone have)
人 = person
は = topic marking particle
みつからない = 見つかる (to be found) in plain, non past, negative
し = at the end of a phrase indicates one of several reasons

The first two words modify 人 - so I read it as: the “receiving and letting someone have” person can’t be found; or in better English as you put it nicely - “We can’t find a person to take her, and…”

It’s helpful to try and remember to put the page number when asking a question - this one was page 73. You are catching up!

6 Likes

That’s it. The English version goes with the direction of “No one wants to adopt it, …” which is probably the best they could do considering the speech bubble size. The family also don’t know Chi’s female yet.

1 Like

It might be easier to parse if you think of てくれる as an action being favorable to you, or someone doing you a favor.
Instead of parsing the two verbs separately, I would say: a person “doing us a favor by receiving” her can’t be found.

7 Likes

Fantastic, thank you! I hadn’t come across this grammar yet (it looks like I get to it in chapter 16 of Genki).

Here’s a couple of links to this grammar point from googling just now here and a longer one here.

3 Likes

So yeah, I’m still here… I guess everyone moved on? Time to pick up where I left off…

Yep, but you’re still welcome to post questions and answers since we check back on new replies here.

5 Likes

It’s ok, we’ve got notifications turned on, so we’ll see if you ask any questions. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m still here. I post when I don’t find a good match to my question and someone always show up.

1 Like