チーズスイートホーム: Week 2 Discussion (Chapters 4-6)

On page 34, the first long panel, I think I get the gist, but I’m not sure:

ねこたんはなんで玄関で寝るの?

Based on some help from the spreadsheet:
ねこ - cat (maybe ねこたん is supposed to be ねこちゃん?)
は - topic marker
なんで - why
玄関 - entrance
で - at?
寝る - to sleep
の - asking a question? (6th definition from Jisho)

So I understand the individual parts, but I’m having difficulty putting it together.

So maybe

“Cats are why entrances are meant for sleeping in?”

Or

“Entrances are the place for cats to sleep, right?”

Can someone help clarify a bit?

3 Likes

I understood this as “Why does the kitty sleep in the entrance?”/“Why is the kitty sleeping in the entrance?”

Sure, it’s 寝る not 寝ている, but it’s a kid speaking and it’s a casual/inner-circle convo, so they wouldn’t be focussed on the grammar/structure here.

7 Likes

You were pretty much there.

ねこたんは - as for the cat
なんで - why
玄関で - at the entrance / in the hall
寝る - sleep
の?- question

As for the cat + why + in the entrance + sleep + ?

“Why does the cat sleep in the entrance?”

Yes, that is where たん comes from, but it’s not like the cat talk, this is actual Japanese. It’s like ちゃん but even more cute.

5 Likes

Oh! I thought it was the cat speaking as it was going to sleep, not the kid in the background, so I was getting confused at how the cat was referring to itself.

It makes much more sense as “Why is the kitty sleeping in the entrance?” if it isn’t the cat saying it :sweat_smile:

Thank you for your help!

3 Likes

That’s good to know! Again, for some reason I thought the cat was talking, not the kid in the background, so I thought it was strange kitty-speak. I didn’t know there was even one more level of cute after ちゃん :grinning:

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

OH! I can totally understand how you got confused. :slight_smile: A good thing to point out for all us readers (and this would help with any of this kind of confusion in the future): Any of Chi’s dialogue not in speech bubbles is “human speak”, and any of Chi’s dialogue in speech bubbles is always just cat noises like にゃあー etc. :smile: Flip through the beginning chapters and you’ll notice that. xD

3 Likes

Yes, specifically for the cat.
Human speech is in speech bubbles.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in the same boat, my partner used to have cats when he lived with his parents and told me that this is just how they are and I really don’t see the appeal personally.

1 Like

When I said Chi I was referring specifically to the cat. Is he/she not named Chi?

And when Chi (the cat) communicates, his/her human speech is NOT in speech bubbles:

nya

1 Like

That makes sense for the cat.

It seems when humans talk they always get a bubble? I didn’t notice until it was mentioned (but it makes a lot of sense).

Out of the bubble is like the cat’s “internal thinking,” but the bubble is what is said aloud, no matter if human or cat (if I’m understanding the formatting correctly now).

3 Likes

Yep yep! I posted a spoiler pic with my last comment but I guess it doesn’t really spoil anything so here it goes again without the blurring lol.

nya

And yeah you put it more aptly - Out of the bubble is like the cat’s “internal thinking,” but the bubble is what is said aloud, no matter if human or cat (if I’m understanding the formatting correctly now).

I think in this case it probably means “flushable” - it’s kitty litter you can flush down the human toilet rather than needing to put it in the bin.
Here’s a real life example I found online:

For those of you who haven’t learned the kanji yet, it says
流せる(ながせる)猫砂(ねこすな)
猫砂 is the actual translation for kitty litter (I learned a new thing! :joy_cat:)

10 Likes

Nailed it! Nicely described!

1 Like

Ok, now I’ll have to get the books I guess :thinking:
In any case, I’ll read it until the end even if I have to switch to the english translation (but it will be way less fun and useful) because I don’t like to stop reading in the middle of a story (unless I really don’t like the story but even then I’m uneasy about it…)

Not yet, I’ve started reading ahead (if you can call it reading…) and it happens in chapter 7

2 Likes

I’ll need your help.

I have to cats and one of them (I have a suspect) is peeing on my son’s bed and in front of the littler box, at the door…

She is not named yet.

I know it’s a she because I watch the cartoons with my son in Amazon Prime Video

Frodo peed in the bed too. I banned him from the bedroom.
Right in front of litterbox is an indicator something is not to their liking.
Could be a lid, litter type or cleanliness. If you have two cats you need three litterboxes (one per cat + 1)
Other than that it’s important to note that if it’s a new development it could also indicate illness, especially urinary track infections.
If suddenly doing it now, time for a vet visit.

Well… I don’t have space for 2 litter boxes…

Also, there’s have been a lot of changes, and I also changed the Littler… :sob:

Frodo always gets worse whenever there is a change. The reason he peed more lately is cause I washed the sofa pillows! XD

I might need to get a second littler box with different litter, but I don’t know where to put it

1 Like