チーズスイートホーム: Vol 2 Week 5 Discussion (Chapters 33-35)

Join the チーズスイートホーム Book Club here!

Chapters 33-35

NEOBK-1545741
Start date: October 18th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 30-32
Next Chapter: Chapters 36-38 + Special menu

Vocabulary list

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

1 Like

Meow, by the way the title just above the image of the cover of volume 2 says “Chapters 33-36”, I think it should be “33-35” like in the topic title:

Thanks, I made a mistake when creating the thread, changed the title and the links in last week thread and the home thread but forgot about the line above the image ^^’

Ch33

• (p100)「むにむに
    => むに is “matchless” but why is it repeated?
  • (p102)「どっかいいとこないかなー」
    • どっか => “somewhere”
    • いいとこ => “good thing”?
    • ない => non-past negative of る, “to exist”
    • かな => “I hope that”? (3rd meaning)
      => I hope there is a good (sleeping) spot somewhere?
  • (p104)「チー一所懸命いっしょけんめいなにしてるんだ?」
    • チー => “Chi”
    • 一所懸命いっしょけんめい => “with all one’s might”
    • なにしてる => “what are you doing”
    • んだ => even though, it is cut in the bubble, I can only make sense of this as んだ/のだ (asking for explanation)
      => Tell me Chi, what are you doing with all your might??
  • (p106)「ふみふみして」
    => Should be kneading but… wut? Does he only realize now? Why else would she have done that?
  • 「おでこおしつけてた」
    • おでこ => “forehead”
    • おしつけて => “to press” in て-form
    • た => past of “to sleep”
      => She went to sleep with her forehead pressed [against me]?
  • 「なんだかチーにすごくかれてるがするなー」
    • なんだか => “somehow​”
    • チー => “Chi”
    • に => location
    • すごく => “very”
    • かれてる => passive of 好く(“to be fond of”) + て(い)る
    • がする => “to have a certain mood or feeling”
    • な => “wow”? (5th meaning on Jisho)
      => Wow, I somehow have the feeling that Chi is very fond of the place she’s at? (Using less words but maybe more natural Wow, I think Chi likes being here)
  • 「このかんじってなんっけ」
    • この => “this”
    • かんじって => deformation of かんじて? (て-form of 感じる, “to feel”)
    • なんだっけ => “what is it?”
      => What is this feeling I have??

I am envious of the father: I want a sleeping kitten on my belly too :pouting_cat: (he’s lucky that she didn’t use her claws ^^)

2 Likes

I believe this isn’t the “matchless” むに, but some onomatopoeic word (it is very common for onomatopoeic words to duplicate sounds) but sadly I can’t find its meaning (might be because Chi’s baby-talk is changing the sounds somewhere).

I guess he’s just not used to Chi doing that while sitting on him, so maybe that’s why he’s surprised? I am not sure either…

When I read this I interpreted this as meaning Somehow I feel Chi’s has gotten very fond (of me). 好かれている, as you mention, is in passive, and when a sentence has a passive verb, に doesn’t mark location; instead it marks who is actually executing the action (in this case, Chi would be doing the action of being fond of). The one “receiving” the passive action is the subject of the sentence, which I guess implicitly it is probably Dad.

I believe that って, in this sentence, is the informal quotation marker; だっけ is an expression used when the speaker is trying to recall information.

So, I believe this translates to This ‘feeling’… what was it…?"

I agree with the rest of your translations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t even thought about that u_u
I found this that seems about right: “We use that when we express something soft”
Since Chi didn’t want to sleep on the hard floor, that should be it.

Oh! ナイスー! Thanks :smiley_cat:
It’s kind of the opposite of the usage I saw this morning in my Bunpro lessons: に indicating the person receiving with あげる x)

And, once again, I guessed right before trying to understand and messing it up :sweat_smile: (well, it was obvious from the image alone)

I have no excuses… I learned that on Bunpro two days ago x_x

2 Likes

Nice find! That definitely fits perfectly.

1 Like

Ch34
(I know I said I’ll do the reading during the week-end but… you know… catching on some sleep between reviews was more appealing :stuck_out_tongue: )

• (p107)「きょうはなにちにきたんら」
    • きょう => 今日 “today”
    • は => topic marker
    • なに => 何 “what”
    • ちに → しに => from する? I would say “do here” but I’m really not sure…
    • きた => past of 来る? (“North” doesn’t make sense ^^)
    • んら → んだ => asking for explanation
      => What did you come do here today?
  • (p108)「チーのにわとおりみちにちてった」
    • チーのにわ → チーの庭 => “Chi’s garden”
    • とおりみち => “path”
    • に => “on”
    • ちてった → してった => する[て]・いる + past?
      => Chi’s garden was on his path?
  • 「こことおってどこいくんら」
    • ここ => “here”
    • とおって => て-form of 通る? “to pass through”
    • どこ => “where”
    • いく => “to go”
    • んら → んだ => asking for explanation
      => Where are going, passing through here?
  • (p109) 「たまにはいいぞオレたちの種族しゅぞくには」
    • たまに => “once in a while”
    • は => topic marker
    • いいぞ => “way to go!; attaboy!” … let say “it’s good” or something like that ^^’
    • オレたち => “we” (so, it really is a male, right?)
    • の => genitive
    • 種族しゅぞく => “species”
    • には => “for”
      => It is good for our species [to eat some [grass]] once in a while.
  • おな仲間なかま~ってことだ」 (He looks like he’s about to eat Chi :scream_cat:)
  • (p110)「チーはよーへーとオトーサンオカーサンのなかまらよ」<3
    => Why isn’t there a と between オトーサン and オカーサン? Is it because of Chi-talk or is it optional when obvious?
  • 「まずいの?」
    => It’s unappetising? Because the other cat seems to have thrown up (not unusual for a cat after eating grass)
  • (p112) 「こわいかくれんぼらった」
    => This hide-and-seek was scary?
  • (p113) 「かくれんぼじょうずにならなきゃ」
    • かくれんぼ => “hide-and-seek”
    • じょうず => “good at”
    • にならなきゃ => になる + なきゃ => “has to become”?
      => I have to become good at hide-and-seek?
  • たかいといにいればあいつらはこわくないさ」
    • たかい => “high”
    • とい => 樋 “gutter”? (although he is on a wall…)
    • に => at
    • いれば => ?? (“false tooth” doesn’t make sense here…)
    • あいつら => “they”
    • は => topic marker
    • こわくない => “not scary”
    • さ => indicates assertion (meaning two on Jisho)
      => Something along the lines of They aren’t scary if you are on a high place?
  • 「チーのぼえないもん」
    • チー => “Chi”
    • のぼえない → のぼれない => potential-negative of のぼる “to climb” => “can’t climb”
    • もん => 物 “thing”? (see “other form” on Jisho)
      => Chi can’t climb this thing
  • (p114) 「ね…こ…? ちがうよ」
    => Hu?
  • 「ねこじゃないよ」
    => Wait… What‽ You don’t know that you are a cat‽ That does explain some things…
    「チーらよーつ」
    => I’m Chi!? (I don’t see how that contradicts what the other cat said)

Will the black cat become some sort of mentor for Chi? :stuck_out_tongue:
Did someone read ahead to see if he has a name? Otherwise, we could name him :smile_cat:

Yep, I concur that this is probably しに from する.

にする is a special grammatical construct that means “to decide on” (BunPro link). So here we have something like You decided to make Chi’s garden your pathway". Note that 通り道 can also mean “one’s way”, and I believe that’s what’s being used here.

I believe ぞ is a (mostly male) way to say よ; so yes, this is basically “it’s good”

Well, it is not such a bad try… I mean, saying that “species” are “animals of the same group” does simplify things a bit…

I am not sure either…

Hmmm this one is more like “It was a scary hide-and-seek”. It might be both because she was scared, and because they were hiding from something scary.

You have a small typo here, it is actually 高いとこにいれば (if you are in a high place…)

もの / もん is a very casual ending that is used to give an explanation or excuse. (BunPro link). So this is more like But I can’t climb there!

The “Hu?” you placed here makes me unsure if you are just surprised by Chi’s reaction or if you need help to understand this part :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess that since Chi doesn’t know what a ねこ is, or for that matter, what ‘human’ is, she thinks ねこ is a name…? Maybe.

I watched the anime but it was so many years ago I don’t quite remember. However, MyAnimeList has him listed a クロイの (lit. “the black one”).

2 Likes

Thanks, it is way better like that ^^

x_x I had two more in this sentence, I should have re-checked everything… And with 高いとこ, it matches what I was expecting him to say u_u’

No, it is simple enough to understand ^^

Oh! that makes sense!

Meh… That’s not a name :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: Well, I think the issue is that this is a stray cat, so there’s no owner to give him a proper name. Unless he gets adopted somewhere later in the manga…

1 Like

Ch35

Mainly Chi talk here, she likes to talk to herself u_u
Most of what’s below are comments directed toward Chi, I like speaking to fictional characters (please, don’t call the shrink on me :crazy_face:)

• (p115) 「ねこ、おうちかえる」
    => I hope her sense of directions improved since volume 1 :stuck_out_tongue:
  • (p116)「おうちどこら?」
    => Off to a bad start :')
  • 「ここどこら?」
    => That’s a very good question, pay more attention next time you go out u_u’
  • 「あえ?」
    => Is that her mom and her siblings on the wall!? Look to your left (and up! (and back?)) Chi! (It’s a bit sad, she’s in front of her previous home, her family is on the wall but none of them are aware of her nor her of them :crying_cat_face:)
  • 「ここきたことあるきがすう」
    • ここ => ‘here’
    • きた => 来た => “came”
    • ことある => “the incident happened”
    • きがすう → きがする => “to have a certain mood or feeling”
      => I feel like I came back to where the incident [losing sight of her mother] happened
  • 「いつらっけ」
    • いつ => “when”
    • らっけ → だっけ => expression used when the speaker is trying to recall some information​
      => That incident… when was it?? (That’s actually a good question: how much time passed since ch1? Probably less than or around a month since they’ll only take her back to the vet for the 1-month-after appointment in ch 37, it depends on how long they waited before the first visit)
  • (p117)「いやなのくる~どうちよ」
    • いやなの => “the detestable one” (Adj+(な)の)
    • くる → 来る => “to come”
    • どうち => “the same place”
    • よ => emphasis
      => The detestable thingdog is coming. It’s the same place as that time, you know! (Not very literal x))
  • 「そうらかくれんぼら!」
    => That’s right! Hide-and-seek!
  • (p118)「チーやりまちた」
    => Chi did it!? おめでとう、チーちゃん! :stuck_out_tongue:
  • (p119)「おうちどっちら」
    => Do you really think that the sky will answer?
  • (p120)「きっとあつちら」
    => But… how!? (Some smell perhaps?)
  • (p122)「みんなたらいま」
    => Sorry but nobody noticed your absence ^^’
    「なんかいいことあったのかな?」
    => I wonder if something good happened?

I looked back at ch1 and, wow, Chi and the humans are quite different from back then. Chi is now in a lighter grey and better drawn (IMHO) and the father’s hair were black ^^ (in ch14, they were brown but went back to black for ch15 then brown again from ch16 onward xD maybe it was because of the sweat caused by sneaking Chi into the vet’s clinic? :stuck_out_tongue:)

Also, while she got lost all the way to the park, she know lives almost next door from her mother, there probably will be contact at some point, right?

3 Likes

Given the patterns on the fur, they are indeed very similar to the ones in the first chapter…

I believe this is using the grammatical pattern たことがある (though I am not 100% sure since I don’t think I’ve seen this used without the が before). This is used when something has been experienced before. In this case, the thing experienced has to be described by the preceding verb, in this case, 来た. So instead of an incident, it would be the experience of “coming here”. “I have the feeling I have come here before…”; I am not sure Chi actually realizes what exactly happened here before..

I believe どうちよ, in this case is actually どうしよう; Chi is wondering “What do I do?”

Yeah, this part is kind of mysterious. I does seem she smelled something.

2 Likes

I agree that she doesn’t seem to realize but I didn’t see the たことがある (it’s one of my ghosts… Edit: and I just failed its review again x_x).
She forgot about her own mother in less than a month? :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Hop, it’s that time of the week again: the next thread is here.
This time, 4 chapters because the last one is pretty much empty of dialogues.

I have these two keeping me company while I read <3

3 Likes

It definitely is. Same area, same colors, and the title of “going home” has a double meaning! D=

1 Like

Oh! right, I didn’t think about that… I tend to forget titles once I start to read ^^’ (when I read them at all, which I do here but is not always the case, especially with mangas)

1 Like

I usually glance over or ignore the titles too =P