チーズスイートホーム Reading club [Finished]

Hi! Yeah I’m a bit behind with not just Japanese, but with everything at the moment. :sob:
Everytime I finished the week’s chapters and checked the thread, all questions I had were already answered.
It did make me feel a bit bad seeing that only 2 people were posting, but I didn’t want to come up with whatever just so I could make a post.
That said, I think I’ll try to read a few pages of each book instead of one week worth of chapter before I move to the next book.

頑張って!

It makes me sad as well, I hope you can join us soon :slight_smile: (and also @Abstormal! Don’t hide behind your new furniture :stuck_out_tongue:)

How many books do you currently read?

2 Likes

よし!

I’m currently reading Kitty Detectives (though no kitties so far :sob:) and Flying Witch. And Chi’s… so not that many. Oh and a manga I’m following w/ 1 Chapter a month release cycle.

What a scam!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seeing as I struggle with only Chi, I can understand that you are “a bit behind” with 4 things to read ^^

the kitties have arrived! (or at least one has…)

I was never here… :ghost:

3 Likes

Ready or not, there will be blood! volume 3 week 1 thread is here :smiley_cat:

I did not create a vocab sheet as we did not use it for volume 2, tell me if you think there should be one.

1 Like

I thought I was a cat, turns out I’m a white rabbit: so terribly late… x_x

Anyway, we are taking a break this week and will return on the 27th to read about (spoiler if you didn’t finish vol3) Chi changing home!

As decided in the last thread, we will only have 1 thread per book from now on.

Here is the planning, let me know if you want to change something.

Week Start Date Chapters
Week 1 December 27th Chapters 57-59
Week 2 January 3rd Chapters 60-62
Week 3 January 10th Chapters 63-65
Week 4 January 17th Chapters 66-68
Week 5 January 24th Chapters 69-71
Week 6 January 31st Chapters 72-74+special menu

Happy holidays everyone :slight_smile: (if I say it in advance, I won’t be late, right? :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

Count me in!

3 Likes

Wow, it’s already that time… here is the volume 4 thread :heart:

How will Chi fare in her new home?

1 Like

Hello everyone :wave:

As we start the last volume of the story, we thought to revive this main thread to tell you that we plan on reading 4 additional books: 『今日のこねこのチー』 (Chi’s sweet adventure)

Photo of the books by Toyger

It seems that books 3 and 4 only exist as ebooks (in Japanese) so here are links to BookWalker:

If you are interested, we should be starting on January 8.

Do you want to read along?
  • yes
  • yes but please wait a bit more
  • no
0 voters

:crabigator:

3 Likes

Don’t mind me, I voted accidentally

2 Likes

I think I start reading this series in between my graded readers.

1 Like

Don’t hesitate to ask questions in the corresponding threads :smiley_cat:

1 Like

How is the cat/kid talk? Is it manageable after a while?

The kid learns to speak properly and you get used to the kitten talk (it doesn’t improve much but it’s always the same substitutions).
Someone posted this video last year (then removed the message), it might help: Casual Japanese and Baby Talk in Chi’s Sweet Home チーズスイートホーム - Kanata Konami こなみかなた -
At worst, you can skip what チー is saying until the end of the chapter (or of the next) and go back when you have more context.

From what I recall, overall, once you get past the first 3 books (chapter 43 in volume 3 was the worst for me because of a lengthy discussion between adults) there is nothing really hard to read.

@vol2 how long would you like us to wait before reading?

@ everyone, what should we do about the pacing? Most chapters seem to be around 7 pages long (at least for vol 1 and 2) but with text in almost every frame (2 columns of 4 frames per page).
Do we continue with 3 chapters a week? Do we use a count of pages? Read the whole book at once? Other?
For reference, the first volume chapters:

chapter page
1 3
2 10
3 17
4 24
5 32
6 39
7 47
8 54
9 61
10 67
11 73
12 78
13 83
14 88
15 89
16 90
17 91
2 Likes

I read the first volume in one sitting while my cat Eevee had a tooth cleaning at the vet =P

But even though I CAN read it in one sitting, I have no rush getting through it. I’d rather enjoy it over a spaced interval =)
3 chapters a week could be good still

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think it will be difficult for us to read a whole book in one seating but I don’t know for zheke and vol2.

I think, we can read the last 4 chapters as one since they are 1 page long each.
That would take us 5 weeks (1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-17)

2 Likes

That sounds good to me =)

2 Likes

I can try to follow along. I got the book on bookwalker, so I have it.

Sorry it took me awhile to respond, been distracted by holiday stuff.

2 Likes