デンジはまた読んでる — denji’s reading thread

FISNISHED:
チェンソーマン chainsaw man

CURRENTLY READING:
東京食種 tokyo ghoul

so i saw another thread on here with someone trying to read attack on titan and i wanted to try to do the same thing with chainsaw man, i can get by ok on my own reading this but i also need a little bit of help on some stuff so like what better than to create a thread so that i can get help and stuff

so my first question is

this

having trouble with the 俺たちにしている? what does the usage of に translate to? i know hes talking about denji paying back his debt, so does it translate to something like hes using us to pay off his debt? (im bad at grammar if you couldnt tell lmao)

and this might also have updates on my progress

UPDATE
after finishing chainsaw man i thought i would read some more stuff so im gonna make this just a general reading thread and keep the questions all on here

8 Likes

Hey there. I thoroughly encourage you to embark on this journey and wish you all the best of luck with your endeavour. I have a slight unrelated nitpick though. Would you mind moving your post from the Campfire Category into the Japanese Language/Reading category?

Everything that’s related to reading is currently under this category and it makes it easier for other interested people to find your thread.

If you have problems moving it (I’m not even sure you can? ^^) you can also give me the okay and I will move it for you.

6 Likes

I’m not entirely sure without context but I understand it as “debt to us”.

借金 is being modified by 俺たちにしている, where に is a particle showing direction

3 Likes

I recently read this and wasn’t sure about this line either. I ended up interpreting it as “the debt owed to us”.

3 Likes

idk if i can either so yeah you can move it sorry about that

1 Like

Agreed about wanting more context (as always :-)), but are you sure the 俺たちに here isn’t attaching to 返させる ?

1 Like
full page for context

I’m not sure but I find it to be less likely. And even so, the meaning doesn’t change much. It’d be obvious with context.

1 Like

The に shows that 俺たち is the object here. The に indicates the WE don’t owe the debt, YOU owe it to US. The している defines the 借金, so the phrase 「俺たちにしている借金」literally means “the debt that (you) owe to us”. The “you” in brackets because it doesn’t specify who owes it.

6 Likes

ohh ok got it that makes sense

Mmm, especially after reading the whole page I agree. If the 俺たちに here was attached to 返させる there wouldn’t be any need to have している in the sentence; so it’s theoretically grammatically possible but not a natural reading.

5 Likes
context: denji just bought some bread with the money he earned

usage of は here?

は can be combined with numbers to express a “minimum of”/“at least” AFAIR

4 Likes

や particle? or smth else

ex.
オレたちや instead of オレたち
にや instead of the に particle

1 Like

Don’t know exactly what it is, but that looks like にゃ to me.

Probably some sort of verbal tick?

Or dialect, like じゃ、だ、etc.

Ah, it’s probably は.

オレたちは、パンには、etc.

2 Likes

i was thinking it was a small ゃ but it seems too similar in size to the big kana so my guess was he mightve been talking w his mouth full? (he was eating)

は makes a lot of sense though probably because of his super casual way of speaking (lots of contractions and things like that)

1 Like

Haha, if he was talking with his mouth full, it’d be harder to understand.

They usually either put it in parenthesis or something, or it’s just gibberish.

1 Like

ill prob stop putting the context in the summary title if it gets too spoiler-y but for now i think its fine

denji was trying to sleep but he got woken up to go kill another devil

assuming くらい here means at least? as in ‘i wish theyd at least let me dream…’

1 Like

Ya.

2 Likes

two questions here

devils and spoilers from chapter 1

what does ~すか coming after verbs mean?

and then is っつったら a weird form of something like i said i’d … ? the devil afaik made a deal with the yakuza to help them kill denji