スキップ・ビート!Semi-casual book club (Now reading Volume 7)

I’m not sure, because I don’t expect many discussions. I’ve looked at other similar book clubs, and they often use a single thread. But probably we can create a separate thread for a volume rather that for a separate chapters, what do you think?

I’d prefer threads per volume over just this one, but yeah for a casual at your own pace club a thread per chapter is probably overkill :thinking:

Ok, per-volume threads will make it easier to navigate and search. I’ve created the thread: スキップ・ビート!Vol 1 discussion thread

4 Likes

Are we going to continue with volume 2 right away? Because then I need to look for discount coupons on booklive and buy volume 2 (and maybe a few more :wink:).

Yes, I think it’s too soon for a break. Unless someone needs it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the new volume thread: スキップ・ビート!Vol 2 discussion thread

2 Likes

Just wanted to say Skip Beat is one of my all time favorite manga / anime and I’m so happy others are reading it!

What I like to do for language study purposes is pick up an English copy as well and read it two pages at a time with the Japanese copy inside the English copy (so I can’t see the English) and refer to the English version after reading the Japanese to confirm my understanding. It’s probably a bit of a crutch but it keeps me motivated to stick with it when I would otherwise get discouraged by how much I don’t understand, even though I love the story.

4 Likes

This is a technique I’ve used as well. One advantage is you feel like you have a superpower of being able to understand what you’re reading even if it’s above your level. You don’t need to worry so much about unknown vocabulary, because you know what’s going on.

For anyone using this method, I recommend paying extra attention for grammar that’s above your level, and making sure you learn more grammar along the way. The more grammar you know, the more you’ll be able to feel your way through dialogue even when there’s unknown vocabulary.

2 Likes

We’re still reading volume 2, so it is a little bit in advance, special for @beckswithspecks:

1 Like

We’re approaching the 3d volume, so we need to decide on the schedule :slight_smile: Does someone need Christmas/NY break from reading? If yes, how long do you think it should be?

I personally don’t have any plans (thanks to covid), hence I’ll likely have more free time to read than usually.

I’m good to keep going through the holidays thanks covid

I don’t need a break :slightly_smiling_face: and even if I fall behind one or two weeks, it’s quite easy for me to catch up because I enjoy reading it so much and don’t lack motivation for catching up.

1 Like

Tomorrow we start reading new volume! How are you doing?

1 Like

Today we start 5th volume!

@fray @beckswithspecks how are you doing? I haven’t heard from you in a while, I hope everything is ok :cherry_blossom:

@valkow I know you’re ahead of schedule, at what chapter are you now? I wonder how much time it’ll take to catch up with you :slight_smile:

P.S. I also read future chapters (starting from vol. 32) when I have time, and I’ll add vocab sheets to the opening post for every other volume I finish. Now you can find there only 32th :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not very far ahead at all now, since I haven’t been reading much manga lately! I’m only a little ways into volume 6.

1 Like

Hi! Haven’t been studying any Japanese at all these past weeks but I plan on getting back to reading now :slight_smile: I guess I’m still at volume 3 :rofl:

2 Likes

Great to see you back)) Hope you’ll manage to catch up! We’re on the Curara arch, so many interesting stories are coming.

I also hope you are not overwhelmed with reviews :sweat_smile: Every time I don’t clear my queue, it takes at least a couple of days to bounce back.

I’m really sorry for not posting updates for such a long time. I hope someone is still here. I actually continued to read SB, just failed to keep this thread updated. I’ll update the OP with a new word list.

From now on I’ll create one thread for 3 volumes, since there are not many things happening.

Another update is that the book club becomes unscheduled at least till October, because I cannot keep up with the schedule for now.

3 Likes

I’m rather new here, but I have been reading this manga in English for a long time (around 10 years I think). I have always thought that when I learn Japanese enough to be able to read manga without too much struggle I will re-read it. The last time I visited Japan I bought 4 volumes and now after almost two years I gathered myself to start reading it finally. I managed to get through 2/3 of the 1st volume on my own somehow. It’s great to find a book club related to it here! I might not be able to catch up quickly but I hope this book club will go on in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great timing. So I have enough time to catch up until October!

1 Like