シャドーハウス Volume 4

r.e. interesting

Actually, they go into it early on in the manga, when Emilico is scared that Kate got disintegrated in that vacuum room (I don’t remember exactly what it’s called). Kate explains that even though Shadows emit soot, they are not themselves made of soot. So, they can take baths and stuff.

In fact, that’s part of the strenuous routine they and their living dolls need to do to keep things clean given all the soot they emit. They also change their clothes multiple times a day, I believe.

6 Likes
From the end of this volume's final chapter...

Is it just me, or does the alphabet on the letters look like it would be written right to left?

But the letters clearly line up with hiragana:

(I wonder what’s written before John’s name on the wax print.)

I imagine there are websites out there that have a legend of which letters match which kana.

Edit: Ah, no wonder. The letters are fairly close to stylized mirrored kana…

2 Likes

In the last page of the chapter 49 (page 170), Suzanna says さすってあげられないわね〜 and さすってあげたいわ〜 on the first page of the chapter 50 (p. 173) but I fail to understand what she says.

I couldn’t find a common noun spelled just さす so I’m guessing this is a godan verb in て-form but the only verb that would fit the bill is 摩る which means to rub, to massage but the possibility that this is the intended meaning is quite low I think.

Dictionary lookups and machine translations both point to this unlikely “rub” meaning.

From context, I’d wager that Suzanna may be saying “I want to open/reveal/read this letter”.

PS: Looking at page 178 (linked below), the rub meaning might not be so far off after all… Still, I don’t understand why she said she wants to give her rubs after she caught Kate.
rubrubrubrubrub

2 Likes

I’ve checked it and she sure fixates on giving pats/rubs.

She says she can’t give pats/rubs after capturing the letter.

2 Likes