シャドーハウス Volume 4

Ah, I suppose I’m missing some parts of the story as I’m going along. Admittedly I haven’t been focusing as much for the sake of catching up lol.

Oh ok, interesting, I hadn’t heard of that before.

6 Likes

Chapters 47 and 48

Start Date: 2023-01-13T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

this is fun…

this isn’t the title of chapter 41 :wink:

I have found of few of these easter eggs as I’ve been going through and fixing them but this one took me a minute

edit…oh yeah just got to chapter 41!

3 Likes

OCR + small font size (on my monitor) = missing more than I should be…

3 Likes

I already fixed it…
corrected

just like a spot the difference game :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Probably I should increase the font size on the page I use for managing the club…

Before:

After quick fix:

5 Likes

finally finished ch42… now I’m only 2 weeks or so behind…

5 Likes
Story Comments

All of the scheming and reveals aside, which is making it quite hard to not just dive ahead into the series headlong now, I have to say, this is my favorite use of double-meaning furigana I’ve seen yet. It was some great comic relief. :joy:

5 Likes

I wanted to randomly add a theory from the last few chapters.

ラム is apparently going to become a 顔の見えない人形。Her memory will be wiped using the special coffee.

However, one of the few special attributes she had, other than being timid, was a fantastic memory (able to memorise the whole map). So does that mean she may be partly immune??

4 Likes

Oh, that’s really interesting! I hadn’t considered that. But if that were the case, wouldn’t she have memories from before she was kidnapped as well? I believe the coffee is how they initially “memory wipe” the kids to turn them into living dolls.

4 Likes

That’s very true! So probably not.

Unless she did have memories, which was why she was so unhappy.

4 Likes

Chapters 49 and 50

Start Date: 2023-01-20T15:00:00Z

With these chapters, we’re reaching the end of another volume!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes
Vocabulary page 159

Does anyone know what the word is right after こどもに? I tried using character recognition, and 開示 came up. But the first kanji looks way different. Is this a handwritten vs typed thing? Or was the character recognition wrong? I tried using radicals in Jisho, but couldn’t find it (looking for lantern + head, in WaniKani radical terms).

Vocabulary page 167

What about the kanji when John is responding while being scolded by Kate? After いや…ほめようと.

Story comments

Woah! We’ve gotten to where the manga and anime differ. The anime made a pretty big change to the order of events. This stuff was in the beginning of the second season. I’ll go into more detail once we get to the part that was at the end of the first season.

4 Likes
Pg. 159

開示 is correct.

Looks to me like the 略字 form of the 門 radical, though obviously in the slightly weird font that this manga likes to use sometimes.

Pg. 167

思って, I’m pretty sure.

心 always looks weird in handwriting.

I have to give thanks to 五等分の花嫁 for all the weird fonts and handwriting. :joy: I got pretty decent at making out what’s intended thanks to that series.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Pg. 167

Based on the context, 思って is what made sense. But I just could not see what was on the page as being that kanji. Handwritten Japanese almost seems like another writing system sometimes!

3 Likes

It almost looks like 鬼 :laughing: but it’s definitely 思. In handwriting, sometimes the 心 part gets bent a bit. Here are some examples.

4 Likes

Exactly! I thought so too. Thanks for the examples. That last one is way out there!

4 Likes
Random story comment

This is probably the easiest-to-understand facial expression we’ll get to see in a shadow…

4 Likes

Finally finished ch46… trying to push through … not quite caught up but getting closer…

though the story is getting

a bit more disturbing and harder to read… feel bad for the kids

5 Likes

So started to watch the anime…haven’t started ch47 yet but watching the anime I noticed something that I remember reading but now I question it…

Find it interesting...

Only got through the first 2 ep of the anime…but had forgotten about some of the maybe side clues Kate is different…

Water is used to quell the soot monsters and what not… but Kate takes baths! hmm… didn’t really pay this much attention before… maybe it’s nothing…maybe it’s something different?

Just some random thoughts

4 Likes