シメジシミュレーション | Week 3 Discussion 🍄

Page 35

先きること自体がそうなのか
Is arriving first itself like that?

Arriving where first?

I understand her likening digging a hole to paying for her sins (Sisyphus much?), but what does arriving somewhere first have to do with it…?

1 Like

You’ve misread it, it’s きること自体がそうなのか :slight_smile:

does that make more sense?

2 Likes

Ha, I stared at your message for a good minute before I figured out what part I had misread :sweat_smile: Cheers, makes complete sense now!

1 Like

sorry should have highlighted the kanji!

Hey at least I consistently can’t read 生, that must count for something, right? right?!

The irony of saying a few posts earlier I was so happy to get mileage out of my kanji, lol :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It happens…I had to repeatedly look up 東 every other page recently that was a little bit demoralising

1 Like

Each chapter keeps getting better, I’m really loving the weirdness of it all, and above all I love Majime/fried-egg girl, she’s the absolute best.

Quick question regarding page 31:

Summary

I’m guessing it’s a word play between 吹奏楽 and 水槽学 ?? And that she’s basically saying that the school concert band, since it’s pronounced the same as “the study of water tanks” (hence why no kanji is used) are dedicated to doing activities in water tanks? To which Majime responds “I didn’t know that” or “I’m not so sure about that” (not sure which).

ps. I’m really enjoying this manga but my translator soul is suffering reading all the language-dependent jokes, I’m gonna have nightmares.

4 Likes

I got to the same conclusion regarding the word play :slight_smile:
Also, I think it‘s the wind instrument group - can you imagine them playing in a water tank :joy_cat:

4 Likes

thanks! honestly I’m still confused about that sentence but it’s okay, I’ll just ignore it :laughing:

I think you basically have it though…

I’d translate it as:
Shimeji: “This has nothing to do with what we were talking about, but I think the すいそうがく club is definitely about doing something in a すいそう. For instance an aquarium…
Majime: “I didn’t think that” (basically a tsukkomi)

2 Likes