コンビニ人間 🍱 Repeat Book Club

Week 8 is up!

4 Likes

I’m spending the day moving so the Week 9 post might be a bit late today. I also might not make the live reading for the same reason. Hopefully all goes smoothly and it’s a non-issue!

8 Likes

Week 9 is finally up! Thanks for waiting.

6 Likes

Week 10 is up!

4 Likes

Week 11 has been up for a while but I realize I forgot to post here.

8 Likes

Second to last week!

5 Likes

This link in the OP is broken. @jhol613 Could you replace it with this one?

https://koohi.cafe/#/list?list=book_konbini_ningen

2 Likes

Fixed. Good catch!

1 Like

Soooooo… we’re nearly at the end of this book and I have been really enjoying it. So much so that I am thinking about reading another book by Sayaka Murata. Earthlings has been mentioned before. It’s 50% longer, but we’re used to her style by now, so maybe that isn’t too bad. But another book could also work!

Is anyone else interested? We could start another book club :grin:

More Sayaka Murata?
  • Yes please!
  • No thanks.

0 voters

4 Likes

I still want to read all her books anyway, so if I can read another one with others, count me in.
Already read: 殺人出産, 丸の内魔法少女ミラクリーナ (soon - 85%), Earthlings (in translation, but I don’t want to repeat it so quickly)

If you pick anything else, I’ll participate.

変半身(かわりみ)is the shortest, but it’s also still pricey

3 Likes

I need to cut down the number of novels I’m reading simultaneously. Three is too many. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I would absolutely love to but like Belthazar I probably need a month or two to clear out some of the stuff I’m currently reading. If we started May/June I could probably swing it.

3 Likes

I’d also be down to participate in any Murata book. Earthlings is also excellent, possibly even better than コンビニ, but might we put it up to a poll for our next choice?

1 Like

I will first read 魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) with the help of the [repeat] book club here.

I would definitely join. I haven’t read any of her other novels yet. 地球星人 sounds great.

1 Like

In case anyone’s interested, following Sayaka Murata’s books are now 50% points back for Kindle:

• マウス
  • 星が吸う水
  • 授乳
  • 殺人出産
2 Likes

An excellent suggestion! Thanks to @Aislin we already have a nice list:

I think it would also be good to know which of these works have been translated, because it can make it a bit easier to figure out the trickier passages. There is Earthlings (地球星人) and also a few short stories (A Clean Marriage, 清潔な結婚, which features in 殺人出産; and Lover on the Breeze, which I am having trouble tracking down, and Faith, which I am also having trouble tracking down).

Does anyone know of any other translations?

2 Likes

Her Wikipedia page only lists two short stories, and Earthlings and Konbini as translated works, so maybe there aren’t any others?

Faith isn’t listed on Wikipedia, but it’s available in English for free on Granta’s website:
Faith | Sayaka Murata | Granta

(I linked it in the post with the table, actually :sweat_smile:)

Lover on the Breeze: there is a link to the pdf with a translation on Murata’s wikipedia (under References, 18). It was a charity project and while it was supposed to be a fundraiser for the 2011 earthquake, it seems it’s still fine to share it? :thinking:
From the pdf itself (page 18):

PDF files of all the stories in this collection will be available to download from the website until March 2012. Sending these PDFs to third parties via e-mail, and posting the URLs to third-party sites, is permitted. (though Waseda Bungakuwill take no responsibility for the content of such third-party sites). However, reproduction, in whole or in part, of the data on these PDFs in any printed media by any unauthorized third parties is strictly prohibited. Data alteration is likewise strictly prohibited. We hope that after reading these texts you will choose to make a donation to the Red Cross in Japan (details below) or in your country or to another charity supporting disaster relief.

1 Like

As for the table, I also wanted to mention that pages are from paperback versions up to Konbini, and then from hardcovers, because at the moment of creating the table, there were only hardcovers available for the last 4.

地球星人 got a paperback version just a few days ago (March 27) and while it’s 246 pages for hardcover, it’s 336 in paperback.

Somehow related: from her instagram:

ピュートにも読みやすいサイズになったので記念撮影しました。

2 Likes