クレヨンしんちゃん Volume 1 Discussion 💩

i’m still in the prolog chapters, btw XD i have a chronicle lack of time right now :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s お着がえ (おきがえ), so ‘a change of clothes’. Either that or it’s the stem of the verb (着がえる), but that doesn’t make much sense with お.

Yes, I’m guessing it’s でしょう, but I’m just as lost as you are as to the nuance of が :thinking:

Yeah, that’s the sense I got from it as well. For what it’s worth, the anime has it subbed as ‘The bus is here to pick you up’.

In the previous frame you can tell Shin’s got this little sweat drop going, and he’s saying “Ah”. He needs to go poop, and apparently this has happened before, cause the teacher is saying: “So it’s poop again today huh?”. And yes, his mother is offering to drop him off later. 代 (だい) means ‘fare’, so something along the lines of ‘the bus fare wasting kindergartener Shinnosuke’.

Page 12

Ok, probably a basic question but I am getting all mixed up here:

I figured 寝てんじゃない was short for 寝ているじゃない, but then I started wondering what’s the difference between いるじゃない and just いない? Could it be のです, except with じゃない instead of です? But then why is 寝て in the て-form…? As a command?

Page 15

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 20.17.41
I can’t make head nor tail of Misae’s bubble…

3 Likes

I started to try to answer your questions about page 12 but I got jumbled up in my brain as well. But for the simple part, I think it is short for 寝ているのじゃない (with the ん/の being important). I can’t remember the context for this panel–is she saying he isn’t to sleep in such a place, or is it more like, hey, you’re sleeping in such a place (aren’t you)?! I started off leaning toward the former and now am leaning toward the latter. I should really just check the context in my copy but I am lazy…

Page 15

目つきでわかるとはさすが親子 → to understand from the look in my eye (expression of the eyes, expression in general), as expected from parent/child. Their family relationship is such that Shinnosuke can tell just from her expression what’s she’s going to do even though she wasn’t trying to make it obvious (and in fact probably the opposite).

1 Like

It’s when she first discovered he’s sleeping inside the futon. So I agree, the second meaning you mentioned is probably it.

I came across this use of じゃない and I think that might be it, specifically the part where it explains ‘to use じゃない(=janai) in a positive meaning’:

似合うじゃない (ですか)!
= It looks good on you!

歌えるじゃない (ですか)!
= You can sing! You sing very well!

In that case, the ん doesn’t have to be a のです sort of ん, but it could be a contraction of ~ている → 〜てん. And then I guess the meaning is something like “You’re sleeping in such a place?!”.

So I guess there are two different ways to get to the same meaning? Whether the uncontracted sentence is ねているじゃない or ねているじゃない, the general sense remains the same?

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers, @nienque! I was totally off in that last panel haha.

Oh yeah, regarding the schedule, I would like to clarify if we’re reading 4 chapters for 2 Mar or if this is a typo?

Blergh, that’s a typo! Thanks for pointing it out, I’ll fix it :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: turns out I also had ‘week 8’ listed twice :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Page 19
Please help determine what the kanji are in these two panels? :sweat_smile:
Screenshot 2020-03-02 18.44.53
^ the last bubble for this panel (「すぐムキになるxx」? )

Screenshot 2020-03-02 18.45.34

1 Like

Added them to the vocab list. It’s 性格 (disposition), 体 (body) and 洗う or 洗い (not sure if it’s the i-stem of the verb ‘to wash’ or just the noun ‘washing’).

1 Like

It’s 洗う–荒いな is a short/casual form of 洗いなさい.

2 Likes

Would like to ask for help decipher these kanji/words please v

Page 21
Screenshot 2020-03-02 20.18.02
「でも母ちゃんは家にxx中」

Page 22
Screenshot 2020-03-02 20.41.26
What is ゆうとる?

Page 23
Screenshot 2020-03-03 18.26.37
Is ピンボー = pinball?

1 Like
  1. 昼寝(ひるね)
  2. 言っている(いっている/ゆっている)(ているー>とる、関西弁)
  3. 貧乏(びんぼう)

Those are my thoughts, hopefully correct!

2 Likes

They make sense! Thanks much :smiley:

1 Like

Page 18

What’s going on here exactly? いいの makes me think she’s telling him it’s ok, but later on she gets mad he’s still watching television, so probably not. And why the て-form 見なくて? At first I thought it was a negative command (‘don’t watch’), but those go with ~ないで, don’t they?

Page 20

What’s Misae shouting? I figured out that ちきしょう means dammit (and the final vowel is elongated here), but what is るせぇーや supposed to be?

Page 22

I’m guessing it’s: メニューに ゆびさせ という とる んじゃ(ない)

But I am not sure beyond that. What meaning of とる is used here?

1 Like

I think it’s a version (not sure if slang or a dialect) of うるさいよ (shut up!; be quiet!​)

Per valkow’s explanation above, とる is apparently ~ている in Kansai dialect

1 Like

Right, so I think I get it.

[ メニューに ゆびさせ ] と言うっているんじゃない

ゆびさせ is an imperative and I imagine the んじゃない is basically んです, and じゃない needn’t carry a negative meaning. So something like:

“I was telling you: ‘point at the menu’!”

I figured it was ‘bimbo’, based on the Wikipedia page.

Also, if anyone was wondering what the girl is reading in the last frame, it’s とらばーゆ, a magazine with job listings for women. The title is based on the French word ‘travail’, ‘work’.

1 Like

Yup, that’s how I understood it too c:

Interestingly, I think びんぼう and bimbo both make sense. I understand it as Shin-chan saying something along the lines of, “You don’t know what a 1,000 yen bill is? Then, [I guess] you’re poor / [a] bimbo”

2 Likes

Page 29
Screenshot 2020-03-08 20.37.49
What does Misae mean here? I’ve tried inputting what she says on ichi.moe but I still can’t make heads or tails of it.

Regarding the 5th story, I loved how Nakamura-san and the manager can understand each other with just hand signals :laughing:

Page 25

What’s going on here? I get ‘frog face’ for カエルのつら and ‘piss’ for 小便. Is it something idiomatic…?

yup

1 Like

That makes perfect sense in this context, thanks!

Page 26

I can’t make out what the shopkeeper is saying. I guess ガキのくせに means “in spite of the brat” and 手のこんだ means “intricate”, but why does the sentence end in を? What is the verb supposed to be?

Also, does anybody know what the deal is with ポンペコペン and ポンポコペン on page 29? ポンポコ is listed on Jisho as ‘clapping’, but what about ポンペコ and ペン?

She is saying: パパはナイショだからね, so something along the lines of “as for daddy, this is a secret, ok?”. In the comment to the left it says that Shinnosuke and Misae had ochazuke that evening, while dad had his favourite meal, the karaage (that Shin had dropped).

1 Like