キノの旅 Week 13 Discussion

Oh - did anybody mention this yet? There is another typo in the furigana in this chapter:

全て on one occasion has the (wrong) furigana すで, while on a subsequent occasion gets the correct すべ one.

This occurred rather at the start of the chapter, iirc.

1 Like

Does us noticing typos mean we’re getting better at Japanese? :laughing:

4 Likes

We’re at least getting better at SOMETHING :rofl:

(Pretty convinced it’s not enough for passing N3, though…)

3 Likes

I think it’s just the font. One of the fonts in Word has the same look, but it’s the same character as 采.

New%20Note

The font is Yu Mincho Regular.

4 Likes

Is this a thing people actually do? Maybe it’s just because I hate spoilers, but I would never do that. (Also, I often skip or skim the afterward for the books I read in English.)

2 Likes

I also tend to not actually read afterwards either. They’re usually just a bunch of nothing. This one was too, really, but at least it was a little funny :wink:

6 Likes

I don’t know how common it is, but I’ve read a few light novel あとがき where the author says they won’t spoil the contents of the book for those who like reading the あとがき first :man_shrugging:

It seems really weird to me too, I would never do that either.

3 Likes

Just a reminder:
Last chance to officially complain out loud about read aloud from キノの旅, 9:30pm JST tonight.
Be there or be 四角い!
BYO 液体火薬!:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I woke up early and finished this morning! It was a hard read but it was really fun. This was a lot more fun than 時をかける少女, which I found difficult but also didn’t really enjoy it as much.
I want to read more.

10 Likes

I haven’t seen the anime but bust admit that overall the book is a no from me. :no_good_woman:t4:

Anyway I couldn’t really participate in the threads due to my computer being held hostage in the fix it shop, but I here I make my return. I tried to participate in the polling thought just you guys know I didn’t quite on you. I still want to comment on the overall experience.

I only like the chapter about the adult country. I thought I would like the Colosseum chapter but after the first bit it got way to repetitive. I’d rather continue the story with the anime, and I hope Nicole is right in that it’s better than the book.

I’m still glad for the reading experience and everyone else enjoyment. I might pick up the convenience store women book but I’d rather watch the anime for the other one.

2 Likes

I would love to hear your opinion on the anime!

1 Like

Do you happen know a good place to watch it? It’s not available for streaming on Amazon and every-other palace seems to have the new version of it.

I know this is a really old thread, but I just finished the book. This is after really liking the old anime 5 years ago or so, and then deciding 3 years ago that once I’m good enough with Japanese I’ll read the light novels in their original language. So, this was much anticipated by me, and now after finishing sadly my result is the same as @NicoleIsEnough’s:

It’s been too long for me since watching the anime to be sure exactly why I feel like that. Maybe the author wasn’t on the top of their game for the first book yet. Maybe I like it in a more visual form, or the anime is just better.

Maybe it’s because I half-remembered some of the twists, so it wasn’t as exciting, especially with me reading at a glacial pace due to jumping from Natively level 23 (my previous highest) to a Natively level 29 book.

I don’t remember too many details of the anime episode contents, but reading the short blurbs for them I think (and hope) that the reason I liked the anime more might be due to the anime having more varied subject matter. You know, with not almost every episode being sad, and not half of the chapters basically being about “humans kill other humans for basically no good reason at all”.

Considering that I am really fond of the anime, I’ll try out the next volume once I’m better at reading, and I really hope that it’ll be less disappointing for me!

(Nevertheless, pretty proud of finishing my first L29 book!)

'Also, what the heck is up with the logic in this last chapter' rant

I know this book is not trying to be particularly realistic, but there is absolutely no way a country (much less two of them at the same time!) would decide that instead of fighting the enemy that they hated even before over a hundred years of mutual killing, they’d switch to doing some random killing contest together instead. I could’ve seen one country starting some kind vaguely justfied “war” without risk to keep the economy going, or because of political reasons or for entertainment or whatever, but doing it as a replacement for attacking the country who has been killing your people for so long, TOGETHER with that very country?

I can follow the internal logic in the other chapters, but this one lost me.

3 Likes