キノの旅 Week 12 Discussion

太陽が拳一個分傾いた。
How is 分 pronounced here? ぶん?

Yeah, it’s ぶん. Here it means “in proportion to; just as much as​” (took that from jisho) and that always reads ぶん as far as I know.

1 Like

I was also bothered a bit at some point by the repetitive use of ほんの少し at some points. At least now I have the term internalised to some extent. ^^

2 Likes

I don’t remember any other examples off the top of my head but I noticed this a few times in the book so far within shorter sections of individual chapters. It wouldn’t bother me at all if a word was repeated in one sentence or in several sentences back to back where the repetition is clearly intentional but these are spread out a bit more.

I probably shouldn’t be expecting much from the writing in a light novel or complaining too much about style but this type of thing bothers me in English too.

1 Like

It could also(to some extent) be that certain authors have a bit of a tendency to favour certain words. There tends to be some unintentional bias towards writing things in certain ways, which could lead to stuff seeming a bit more repetitive. That said, it does kind of feel like mentioning it a lot of times in the same chapter really might just be laziness, since it seems like the author should have noticed(and been able to change) it if the appearances of the word are that close. (and an editor should probably also notice something like that if it’s really bad)

It doesn’t really bother me that much in Japanese(yet) though, because it means I have to learn fewer words to understand stuff!

2 Likes

Eh, I don’t think Kino’s writing is all that great either. I’m probably not qualified to judge Japanese writing, so maybe that’s just me not liking it as much compared to other stuff I’ve read.

I guess most light novels probably don’t have the greatest writing, but I know a few exceptions (all subjective to my opinion, of course). Just a heads up in case you felt like not attempting any more light novels because of Kino :wink: not all of them are actually light at all.

3 Likes

I think it’s just an SRS embedded in the novel. New words are repeating with increasing intervals!

9 Likes

I’ve read/am reading some other light novels and the writing was all better from a vocabulary perspective (SAO, VHD, etc. if the second one is even a light novel, I’m not sure) so I’m not planning on stopping anytime soon. :+1: The downside of course being that they’re harder to read when there are more unknown words.

I don’t really have complaints about the content of Kino’s though. This just seemed to stick out because it will be words that don’t appear at the same frequency in other chapters so probably not an overall style thing. I do assume it’s written for a younger audience than the average light novel (at least that I’m used to) since the writing is easier to understand and the vocabulary isn’t very advanced (guns aside) so maybe there was a conscious effort to keep the unique word count down per chapter. It’s just one of those things that’s so easy to fix it makes me wonder why the author/editor didn’t bother changing it.

3 Likes

I like the writing okay, and sometimes the repetitive words are ones I don’t know, which is nice.
Of course, I prefer Haruhi’s writing style… :wink:

3 Likes

… it’s not, though? :thinking: or at least, it’s supposed to be the same as, say, SAO. Both were originally written for the same competition (電撃小説大賞, the 6th and 9th installment respectively, according to Wikipedia) and are published under the same label.
Also, Kino has graphic depictions of violence.

3 Likes

But kids love violence. :joy:

7 Likes

True, in 図書館戦争, a parallel world where censorship is pretty heavy, some junior high students start a lot of bs because Kino was removed from their school library.

6 Likes

That’s awesome.
Anywho, from skimming the threads, other people’s opinions seem mixed, but (now that I’ve caught up) I think I might pick up more volumes after this one. I find it a light, entertaining read.

3 Likes

Ah. I dunno why I assumed that. :thinking: Maybe just because the writing style is much simpler than some of the other light novels I’ve read.

1 Like

I mean, the thing is, no one else has ever expressed that Hermes or anything he does/she does with him was weird at all either, with only one exception. Which was, ironically, Kino herself, and the seemingly very backward town she grew up in. Everyone else seems to take talking machines pretty in stride, and we saw more of them in at least one country, so shrug

I think the fact that everyone just tacitly accepts Hermes kind of charming, as a stylistic choice.

@Myria That ‘king’ in question though was already the last person alive in the country, so I don’t think arguing with him would have had much purpose. Also he didn’t singlehandedly execute everyone, it was ‘democratic,’ which was the point.Similarly, telling the men on the railroad what was going on would arguably have been more cruel than not telling them, after 50 years.

We haven’t seen her reaction to this yet.

Kino snaps and kills everyone to teach them about real peace

(Probably not… but after chapter 4, nothing is off the table)

7 Likes

“I think I prefer one part of the older style of war.”
“Which part?”
“Where the soldiers die.”
cocks gun

6 Likes

Maybe it wouldn’t have had much purpose, but I had so many counter arguments floating around in my head and I just wanted to see how he would react to those! But Kino didn’t do me the favor :smile:

I can see why she wouldn’t do it for the railway men, I didn’t really have strong feelings about that.

1 Like

Oh - do you think this was a real response? I took it to be one of Hermes’ typical snappy-funny ironical responses.

I took it as an actual attempt at worldbuilding, but eh.

2 Likes