キノの旅 Week 1 Discussion

It looks like definition 5 on Jisho may be the one:

to engage (of cogs, zippers, etc.); to mesh; to fit together

That definition usually (only?) apply to teeth-looking things being put tightly against each other (cf the examples from jisho you mentioned).

The hammer and the holster’s string do not feel very “teeth-like”, though…
I’ll have a better look at all that once I finish reading this week’s part :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: asked my local Japanese speaker, and the definition you gave is apparently the correct one. They said that because of the shape of string, it felt fine. (?)

Oh, I found an unanswered question! (Maybe? I’m just randomly scrolling through the thread)

When a hard thing falls on (and kinda in) a soft thing. It feels pretty intuitive to me (as in, that’s exactly the sound I imagine that occurance would make), so it’s hard for me to say more than that :sweat_smile:

Can I just say, all this discussion about Kino’s holster / gun construction has been quite funny interesting to read and then encounter in the book. :smiley:

What’s up with those names, though? Especially 森の人(もりのひと?) sound quite… eh, stupid to me. Anyone else get that feeling? Or does that sound normal to you guys? Maybe I’m reading it wrong, too. :smiley:

So, finally read up to the end point today! :partying_face: While I feel I got the gist (Kino and Hermes begin their travels and reach this closes of land filled with machines, see no people but get the feeling that this place is lived in - finally see some people from afar, but have yet to interact with any. All the while the get cheap food and accommodation at facilities run by the machines. Yeah? And that’s 15 pages (minus the prologue where they (Kino) monologues about why he wants to travel) summarized really vaguely. :woman_shrugging: )

I know I missed like 80 - 90 percent of the nuances because words. Also, please let me know if there are glaring errors in my understanding so far?

Tomorrow is look up day! I’ll probably be done in time for the deadline. That is, the reading out loud meet. :relieved:

And I can read through this thread again including the spoilers. Best part.

Sure did! I was hoping it wouldn’t be lost and forgotten :smiley:
And that makes sense, thank you!

Your understanding is right (it’s what I got from it anyway).

What’s up with those names, though? Especially 森の人 sound quite… eh, stupid to me. Anyone else get that feeling? Or does that sound normal to you guys? Maybe I’m reading it wrong, too. :smiley:

I imagine it as something a little more epic than “woods person,” maybe “The Forest Dweller” (is that still dumb? idk). I’m not one for naming things I own really, but if I were, a gun might be one of them.

With respect to the names:

I actually saw 森の人 later in the story randomly while I was making the schedule for the club, and I didn’t guess it was a gun… It does feel strange, but it seems also more interesting than, say, カノン

With respect to the prologue:

That’s technically not a monologue :sweat_smile: Although I do admit Kino is talking most of the time

I also read up to page 28 in one sitting yesterday and it went pretty smoothly. Some uncommon words here and there, some describtions that clearly showed Sigsawa’s fondness for guns, but were lost on me – the rest was pretty easy.

I don’t really remember the outcome of the story anymore, but so far I can say Kino works on me in book form just as well as in anime form.

The opening post mentions illustrations, but they don’t seem to be in the ebook except for the opening pages of each chapter and the table of contents. I also experienced that with the Majo no Takkyuubbin novels. Kinda sad because those really have beautiful illustrations in physical form.

I feel like カノン at least fits what it is. I shall try to imagine that they sound impressive and epic and all that, though! :smiley:

Sure feels like one though! :joy:

Hi book club!
I’m really enjoying this so far (I hadn’t heard of it before) - good choice, whoever picked it.
I had a question about the last sentence of the first paragraph on page 27, which says:

他の国で見かけるのと同じように、人の住んでいる暖かみが感じられる家だった

To me it seems like this means “Like the other countries, the homes had a warm feeling from the people who lived inside” or something
but that meaning seems weird because the houses have been abandoned for a long time, so they shouldn’t feel warm - they should be in contrast to homes in other places, not 同じように.
Am I missing something?

ETA sorry for a bunch of edits, the html is giving me flashbacks to my high school livejournal, I wasn’t good at it then and I’m not any better now, apparently

That is meant to be weird. Just before this sentence comes:

廃屋には必ず何かうすら寒い雰囲気があるが、ここにはそれがなかった。

That is, deserted houses should have a “cold aura” about them that wasn’t present in those houses (in other words, they’re saying you can tell a house is abandoned just by looking at it). Instead, they felt just like those lived-in houses seen in other countries. Therefore, unlike キノ達 expected, there’s visual evidence that these houses are not actually abandoned. At least, that’s how I understand it.

Ah, makes sense! Thank you.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to what びんぼーしょー means?

It’s 貧乏性

Thanks。

Also whilst I am pleased to know that キノ brought clean underwear; what is the difference between 下着 and 肌着?

I found this link explaining the difference.
When you don’t differentiate between the two you normally just say 下着.

But when stressing the difference:
What you wear for hygiene reasons and to make your body shape prettier is what’s usually called 下着.
肌着 is everything you wear above your 下着 to keep you warm or to preserve your health (if I’m interpreting 衛生を維持する right here).

Additional fun facts: for 下着, you mostly use the verb 着ける, because it only covers a small area of your body, and for 肌着 you say 着る because the area of skin touched is larger.

So I am going to interpret 肌着 as long underwear (long johns and vest). Good idea for a motorbike, it can get cold in the breeze.

Yup, probably something like that. :slight_smile:

I had the same (wrong) understanding, thanks @sigolino for explaining!

Just finished reading this weeks pages, very fun and doable so far. I thought that constantly repeating that there is nobody was a little bit tiring, but I’m glad they at least sighted some people now :laughing:

I did encounter some sentences I couldn’t quite decipher completely and quite some unknown vocab, but nothing a quick search couldn’t help with. Kanji were ezpz thanks to WK :heart:

Some things I didn't quite grasp

自分で服を洗おうとして
“I try to wash the clothes by myself”
Is the おうとして part the “try” part? Why not ため?

きれいなベッドがあると無性に横になりたくなるんだ。
“When you have a clean bed you will want to lie on it.”
無性 being genderless? I really struggle with the last part of the sentence, mainly the part from 無性 onwards. Could someone break it down with me?

キノは二 丁のハンド・パースエイダーの整備を始めた
Why is 二丁 being used here? Is 丁 often used as a counter for guns or just “things” in general?

#2: 無性 here is むしょう, not むせい. 無性に means “very” or “excessively.”

(Late) EDIT: more details about 無性に

I remembered that the Japanese dictionary seems to restrict the use of 無性に to senses or feelings/emotions:
ある感覚感情が理由もなくひどく高まって,抑えきれないさま。
The example usages given are all along those lines: 「〜腹が立つ」(to get angry), 「〜人恋しい」 (wanting company)「〜眠い」 (sleepy).
So presumably using 無性に to say “Hermes is very fast” would be incorrect because it’s not describing a sense or feeling. I can’t confirm because I’m not a native speaker, but we have so many other words for “very” that I don’t think it’s a problem.

I got super confused by the seemingly redundant なる’s at the end. But 横になる means to lie down (lit. to become sideways), so because it’s part of a set phrase it’s not redundant with the second なる.

Altogether it becomes 無性にvery much 横になり lie down たくなるんだ。 become wanting to

Or “Whenever there’s a clean bed I really want to lie down on it”