キノの旅 Week 1 Discussion

I believe it’s pretty standard, but the DRM can be removed during conversion with a plugin for calibre or online tools.

Morally speaking, I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to do this for your own use if you legitimately bought the ebook. If all you want to do is read the book in a different app, then it should be okay imo?

I totally agree with you on the moral aspects. I’m just a bit wary of fiddling around with converters and stuff - having seen these things go wrong so often…

2 Likes

I managed to do it for my Kindle version of Kino, but it was a massive pain, took me an entire evening… Had to download a specific version of Kindle for PC (v 1.7 if I remember correctly), then login to Amazon and sync, then install Calibre, install the remove DRM plugin for Calibre and finally convert the book to HTML. The result is amazing though, being able to read with yomichan is such a massive time saver. (I’m just a bit worried that I’m getting yomichan addicted and that it could impaired progress in the long run)

This whole scene was a bit confusing to me. How Kino exactly managed to crash the motorad while stopping ? And then there is a bit saying that Kino failed to put back Hermes standing up, because of lack of energy, but after the short trip in the automated border custom, they cross the bridge without any issue…

1 Like

Kino didn’t crash it; 立ちコケ refers to when yoy don’t put the kick stand down properly and your bike or motorcycle falls over.

In the empty space between sections (which tends to indicate a time skip in novels), presumably Kino managed to get Hermes back up :wink:

1 Like

Ah ! Got it. Because of Kino bad driving on the road a bit before, somehow I was picturing some kind of spectacular crash. :joy: Thanks.

@sigolino gave a link about it up here (but it’s in Japanese)

I think I get through the text quite okay… even if I need a reeeeal bunch of time. But there are several sentances, that do not make that much sense to me.
I think I will post them always in packages of three.
I think i really got used to this Japanese 「とおもう」.

p. 17
たれはゴーグルのバンドで押さえつけられ、あまりが風でバタバタと暴れている。代わりに帽子本体が風圧ですっ飛んでいくのを防いでいた。
I read here something like:
The tare (what is this?) is fixed (pinned down) with a goggle band, the wind is rushing by with “bata bata” (I don’t understand the usage of あまり here).
Instead, the main part (?) of the flying hat is potected against flying away by the air pressure.

p. 19
そうなると、普段はできるとっさの対応ができなくなるんだ。
This way, normally possible answers to moments (?), become not possible.

p. 22
フロントには機械が鎮座し、全ての仕事をテキパキとこなしていく
At the frontside, a machine is doing enshrinement (dubious translation; what is this?), it finishes the whole work quickly (what is the meaning)

Thanks in advance
~T :lion:

垂れ is the drooping down bit, which is held down by goggles, and the ‘rest’ (the part below the band) あまり is flapping in the wind. Though that little bit is getting buffeted around by the wind, the hat itself won’t fly off.
Like this:
giphy
:wink:

I’ll answer the others in a bit if no one else does, I’m being pulled away from my phooooonnneee

8 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough and others

I tried converting Kino and some other ebooks from amazon.co.jp recently and it was a bit of a frustrating trial and error process. They somewhat recently changed some things that break the DeDRM plugin for Calibre. So eventually I ended up installing an old version of the Kindle reader app on a windows virtual machine and converted the books there. As long as you know that, it should work just fine, you might just need an additional regex to remove furigana because it might mess up the text output.

So what I can do know is look up words in japanese.io (such a time saver!). If I wanted, I could also export them to Anki from there but the last thing I need in my live is more SRS cards to review. Since I don’t use Android, this might be as good as it gets because japanese.io is even better than e.g. the Wakaru ebook reader even though it runs in the browser.

(But now I see that @Arzar33 has posted about this already anyway, oops… sorry! :neutral_face: )

And I agree about the legal aspects: I think I should be allowed to read my own legally bought copy as I want to read it. Because the Kindle dictionary is just not great…

1 Like

I’ll take the offer, thank you very much.

See とっさの対応 more as something like “dealing with stuff as they happen”. I guess it is a kind of “answer to moments”: the moment something happens you deal with it. So エルメス’s point is that if you’re tired, you become unable to react to unexpected stuff while you’re driving, which leads to mistakes, which leads to accidents.

I just checked jisho and yeah, that’s a pretty lacking translation. Every time I saw that word being used it didn’t mean actual enshrinement, it was used to express that something or someone is occupying a certain space (giving an idea of bulkiness and heaviness, so usually relatively big stuff):

人や物がどっしりと場所を占めていることを、多少揶揄(やゆ)の気持ちを込めていう語。「大きなテレビが床の間に―している」

As for the work thing, that sentence is just saying that the machines are doing their respective work quickly.. 仕事をこなしていく is more like “doing work” than “finishing work”. The ていく conjugation, as I see it, gives the idea that it’s something that isn’t finished, but happening now and still happening further into the future (don’t trust me, I don’t know most grammar formally).

5 Likes

Just adding that the ゴケ in 立ちゴケ is a rendaku’d こけ from ける. Since the 転 kanji has to do with falling over, 立ちゴケ is roughly equivalent to “falling while standing.” Specifically, you can only use it when your bike, motorcycle, etc. is stopped but you’re still on it, and you’re trying to keep it from falling over but you fail.

It’s not applicable if the bike falls on its own after you get off, which is what I mistakenly thought earlier. So I thought I’d post my thought process in case it helps anyone else.

Edit: Not sure how to get furigana to show without cutting off.

9 Likes

You can put <br> at the very beginning of your post to move it down one line

2 Likes

Anyone else find it weird that 誰 has furigana?

3 Likes

They are! Very atmospheric and evocative.

1 Like

I didn’t notice until you pointed it out, but it is weird, especially since there are words that are probably harder to read and have no furigana, like 銃器, 風圧 and 城壁, to name a few.

3 Likes

Nothing about furigana in Japanese surprises me anymore. It’s entirely possible to have the same word show up 3 times: 1 time in kanji only, 1 time in kana only, and 1 time in kanji+furigana. (I’ve seen it happen.)

1 Like

It’s a coded message! :eyes:

3 Likes

Whatever it is, I hope it’s at least consistent (unlike kanji and furigana usage)!

I’m almost done with the prologue. I’m doing a slow reading and looking up everything I don’t understand, once in a J-J dictionary and then in a J-E-J dictionary, then write it down with the pitch accent and part of speech in a notebook. It’s my way to ease into J-J dictionaries and practicing writing, and it’s actually very nice.

I’m really enjoying the writing so far, something I didn’t expect! I also find the grammar understandable, and the number of unknown words bearable. I expect this will change soon, according to what I read above. :joy:

5 Likes

Oh hey look, 誰か without furigana. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes