キノの旅 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

In situations like this, I generally employ quickmaths first

3 Likes

Hehehehe yeah. I’m being a little tongue in cheek. But there’s some actualy dislike there, because these days an anime being “based on a light novel” is almost a synonym for “effortless cash-in,” and it makes me turn up my nose at the whole medium even though I actually like a lot of them : D

5 Likes

Hmm…that may be your problem. Try employing the set of all fake numbers. Then divide by three. After that, reboot your computer and time the intervals between yesterday and today for two hours. Record it in a flipbook and sell it to your local vintage photomaker. After that, it should work fine. Quickmaths generally has few problems except when it encounters numbers.

4 Likes

Yeah I do remember you! I’m a fan of both Zoro and cats, so you won’t be forgotten.

I’m looking forward to it. I’ve forgotten loads of Japanese though, so will use FloFlo to pre-read.

4 Likes

If it’s any consolation, it’s incomparably easier to remember something than it is to learn it from zero. Trust me, I know everything and am a reliable source.

13 Likes

This is true though. In the… 4? 5? months that I’ve been learning Japansese again, I’ve relearned basically everything I used to know and gotten better than I used to be, I think. So.

1 Like

Sweet, more to put on my list of books that I might read in Japanese someday

FloFlo is now blocked on my work network D:

5 Likes

They’re on to you

4 Likes

I doubt it, I’ve only logged on like twice. Why would they block that over WK? :thinking:

2 Likes

Just a warning, 狼と香辛料 was pretty hard for me to follow for a long time, which isn’t made any easier by all the economics stuff happening (the main character is a trader), but it is quite fun. There’s also 2 season of anime if you want to check it out and see if it’s your thing.

ゴシック is probably easier.

1 Like

I’ve seen a decent amount of both anime actually :grin:

1 Like

In Japanese? :star_struck:

Did light novels even exist in the 60s?

2 Likes

Yes :slightly_smiling_face: It’s my favorite, actually, one of those “just makes me happy inside” kind of thing. By now I’ve finished the first 7 volumes and it still feels fresh.

:thinking: I would guess… probably not…

3 Likes

That’s cool. I’d like to read at least a couple volumes at some point, but the sample kind of fried my brain.

4 Likes

That’s the expected response :sweat_smile: It did take me several months to get comfortable with it, and there are still moments where my brain is fried.

4 Likes

You gotta fry your brain before you can reconstitute it with knowledge!

Does everything else seem easy now? lol

3 Likes

It’s true that a lot of stuff suddenly became easy after a while :joy:
That’s probably the best thing you can do if something is too hard to read, just find something harder, get mad at it and then come back to the first thing.

11 Likes

Just bought the book yeah !!! Btw you can buy a bundle of キノの旅 of 16 or 18 book if you are a fan of the series. They are pretty much 5.50 yen each which is pretty cheap. (But expensive as a lot which is why I only took the first one)

Btw why is book in Japan so cheap.(By that I mean not expensive) if I were to buy the same book here (Canada) it’s will cost 3 to 4 times more even with taxes and delivery. I can’t figure the logic.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s a tax thing :thinking: I know my brother found books in New Zealand super expensive compared to the UK, because we don’t pay VAT on books (like, er, a kind of sales tax?). Perhaps it’s the same in Japan, although I don’t know if they even have that kind of tax to begin with.

Although 3 - 4x more is pretty extreme :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know how it is on the US, but if I try to buy any book from amazon.jp half of it doesn’t deliver here and the other half I pay more than double the price because I can only choose priority shipping.

I wish I could afford to pay that much on every book I want to read, but most times I have to content myself with ebooks :sweat_smile:

3 Likes