キッチン Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Time is flying… We are already onto Week 4:

6 Likes

Week 5 is here! After finishing this, we are already halfway through the main story :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s so short! :smiley:
Not gonna lie, it’s kind of nice after almost 5 months of Haruhi.

5 Likes

And another week has gone by…

Which also means that for some of us JLPT has gotten closer :eyes:

3 Likes

With only 4 weeks left for the main story, I think we should finally decide whether or not to also read the second story, Moonlight Shadow.

I deliberately did not add an “I don’t care” option, because if the majority selects that one, we’re none the wiser :grin: Therefore, please make up your mind and choose one way or the other:

• I want to read Moonlight Shadow with the book club
  • I do not want to read Monlight Shadow with the book club

0 voters

If we decide to read Moonlight Shadow with the group, which speed would you prefer?

• 3 weeks, with 16-17 pages/week, ending Jan 3rd
  • 4 weeks, with 11-14 pages/week, ending Jan 10th
  • I plan to skip Moonlight Shadow

0 voters

Just to clarify my vote here :joy:
Because of life getting extremely busy i decide to read ahead of pretty much everything and already finished the book (including moonlight shadow), so I wasn’t sure what to vote…

I went for not wanting to read with the club since i already finished, but maybe I just should vote in the first place :thinking:

2 Likes

I think it’s fine to vote in favor of choosing another book to read if that’s what you want. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It looks like the large majority is in favour of reading Moonlight Shadow with the book club in 3 weeks. Let’s do it, then! :slight_smile:

Early as always: Here comes Week 7!

2 Likes

Quite late this time, but not too late :sweat_smile: : Week 8!

3 Likes

We’re almost done with the main story! Here is Week 9:

4 Likes

And here is Week 10, which is the last week of the main story :slight_smile:
Congrats to all who have made it this far!

4 Likes

With this best of all introductions: Welcome to Moonlight Shadow week 1!

4 Likes

Almost there… :wink:

3 Likes

Here is the final and ultimate week! Enjoy :smiley:

3 Likes

Now that people are finishing the book, I think it’s a good point to ask everybody to rate it (where 5 is excellent and 1 is terrible):

0 voters

Also, if you’d like to discuss the book as a whole or share your thoughts and impressions, please feel free!

To give a good example, I’ll go first :wink:

I really loved this book and the way the author carefully drew the characters and unfolded the two stories. Also I liked how she unveiled more of them by frequently switching into the past, and I usually found it easy to follow (I remember having more trouble with other authors, but maybe this just shows that I’ve improved my reading skills). What I often struggled with was that although I felt I understood all the words and grammar of a sentence, I still couldn’t get at the true meaning of it - it seemed like there was another (maybe more philosophical?) layer of meaning on top of the sentence that is still out of my reach. I think this is definitely a book that I’d like to reread in a couple of years’ time.

7 Likes

The other day, I bumped into an article about the Joumon period, and I figured I’d leave a link here in case anybody wants to deepen their knowledge in that respect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Isn’t Jomon more related to Konbini than to Kitchen? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh, dang! There you got me :wink:

2 Likes

Aw man, was checking out this thread to see if I might give キッチン a try and that post of @NicoleIsEnough’s was its most glowing recommendation yet in my mind! :wink: