イギリス: is Wanikani wrong on purpose?

Yeah both times i’ve been to Japan no one had a clue what I meant when I said I was Welsh. To be fair they didn’t know what Welsh was full stop.

I mean, sure it’s been uttered at some point,
That one instance was me.

5 Likes

How many of you non-English, British peoples like to be referred to as “British” in general?

I had always assumed (based on the attitudes of friends from N. Ireland and Scotland) that most non-English feel more comfortable with identification based on their country.
Then again, all the non-English British people I know chose to move to New York, so that probably says something about their general identity, nationally speaking.

We’re not really talking about self-identification here, though, are we? We’re talking about identification by the Japanese.

2 Likes

This is the issue that gets blown up around イギリス as if it’s a personal sleight against non-English Brits.

These same Brits that would never dream of referring to Kenyans by their correct tribal names, for example.

Every country has terms that aren’t great for other countries. But as long as we recognise there’s no malice then that should be enough.

6 Likes

Some of them even sort all Asians into either “Chinese” or “Pakistani”.

4 Likes

Of course that’s what we were talking about; I was asking a different question that I thought was related to original one.

What do they think about Japanese? Especially if they’re on WK…

I like to think for the most part people who think like that aren’t in our lovely community.

2 Likes
  • I’m a WK lifetime user (or admin), and hereby certify with heart, mind, and soul that this is a very fair POLL, and that WK users are obviously a representative sample of the population at large. This is also a very short POLL option, but long for an essay! :wink:
  • I got lifetime or admin status just to not pick the first option

0 voters

• How dare you take away my voting rights? I’ll have you know… that you did a great job! :wink:
  • This isn’t a valid option, but I don’t care. click

0 voters

Probably why it would be interesting to see someone on WK who signed up for Japanese to not think Japanese is even a thing?

• But I signed up for Javanese, or was it Chinese? But not Japanese, you ***?!
0 voters

Ha, I did that too.

what about Brittany?

but but chinese people say 英国人 all the time :orangutan:

They say えいこくじん? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s in France.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’m just waiting for someone to say “why is it アメリカ人!!! There is more than one America it’s a continent how do Brazilians feel… blah blah blah.” As if every year Americans collectively vote to be called Americans.

2 Likes

It’s not a vote. They fight, every year. Each country fields a champion, last one standing earns the right to be called America for that year.

Trouble is, the US fields Chuck Norris every year, so they’ve never lost.

11 Likes

And Canada just chows down on poutine, saying through mouthfuls of cheese curds and fries, “Don’ lump ush in wi’ doze guys!”

1 Like

Chuck Norris is Mexican

1 Like