アオハライド book club - Volume 1 (Feb-March 2020)

What I meant was that sometimes I know they’re talking about something, but I can’t tell what they’re saying about it, if it’s nice, mean, etc. For example, in this page:

around the beginning-middle of 'page 1'

I can tell her friends are talking about Futaba and how she’s not girly, but I can’t really tell if they’re saying it as a good thing or if they’re being mean. Usually it’s because I haven’t been stopping to decipher every sentence, since I did not have enough time.

Sorry, I misunderstood :sweat_smile: When I hear “negative” and “grammar” together nowadays, all I associate it with is tenses xD

About the page you mentioned, this is how I interpret it

女子力 = girly
低い = low
から = because
一緒に = together with, doing/being together
だよね = right? don’t you agree/think?
Becomes something like “It’s because Futaba isn’t girly that we can be (friends) with her, don’t you think?”
The other girl says something like “yes, that might be why.”
顔 = face
高かった = tall/high
むかつく = irritating
Becomes ca. " (Because) her face is cute, so if she was very giry she would probably be irritating"

Hope it can help. I can’t really translate all the endings well, I kind of just know approximately what they mean/do to the words from setting and being quite familiar with the story.

2 Likes

Thanks, that helps!

I think I didn’t express my problem very well, rather than positive/negative, it’s more like I don’t always know how words are connected, it’s so much easier to look up vocab than grammar :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Vocabs are definitely easier :sweat_smile: Hopefully interpreting text will get easier with experience (for me as well, since I’m quite new to reading).

Let’s just help each other through this series, we can discuss any tricky or difficult parts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is so good

5 Likes

I love how she keeps a cute face while saying it.

2 Likes

The whole thing was worth reading for just that panel

1 Like

It’s brilliant :smile:

2 Likes

Have you read Strobe Edge? It’s from the same author, and really good. I’m going to read it in japanese for the first time when I finish Ao Haru Ride :smile:

Omoi, Oware etc. is coming now as anime. I haven’t read the manga, but as that’s also from the same author, I imagine it’ll be good :blush:

1 Like

Nah, I haven’t read much manga at all. Does it have more ざまみろ moments?!

1 Like

Not sure xD Been a while since I read it, but I remember really liking the story and characters. The humor should be the same as in Ao Haru Ride though, since it’s the same author :smile:

2 Likes

At @ChristopherFritz 's insistence, I’m here to revive this old thread with a question, haha. I’m honestly finding this volume a little more frustratingly difficult than I expected – there’s something about the way wording works in Japanese that still just isn’t clicking with me. So there’s a lot I could ask about, especially pretty much this whole conversation with Yuri, but I’ll keep it concise with one panel for the moment.

I get that they’re talking about wanting people think positively about them, but then she mentions… vectors? I guess I get the overall sentiment is that it’s bad that it’s only boys (男子だけ) but… アレなんじゃないか doesn’t quite make sense to me either and I’m half pulling that contextually.

1 Like

If I remember right, this is when she’s first(?) talking with Yuri, and Yuri talks about how people dress up to look nice to others, asking then what’s wrong with her dressing in a way that boys think she’s cute.

• 良く = good
  • 思わ = to think
  • れ = うけみ/receptive form
  • たい = want

=> want to receive good thinking (be thought good of)

• って = quoting (possibly indirect quote)
  • ベクトル = vector (essentially meaning “direction” here)
  • が = subject marker

I’m going into speculation mode here, but I think she essentially leaves this sentence unfinished, and starts it over with a different subject.

“The direction of wanting to receive good thoughts…”

• 男子 = boys
  • だけ = only
  • って = quoting
  • の = turns the phrase before it into a noun (so it can be a subject)
  • が = subject marker

This is where I think she switched what she was saying over to a new subject:

“Only boys is…”

• (なん)か = somehow
  • アレ = that (referring to the “only boys” part)
  • な = follows あれ to modify a noun
  • ん = explanatory の
  • じゃないか = isn’t it?

“…isn’t it somehow that it’s that?”

I imagine you more or less made similar headway on breaking it down, but I included that just in case.

I read this all together along the lines of (loosely translated):

“Wanting to be thought good of… Isn’t it that it’s for boys only?” (Meaning, the issue isn’t wanting to be liked, but rather aiming only to boys to like you.)

1 Like

Yeah, it’s that conversation. Thanks, I guess that more or less confirms how I’m thinking about it. A lot of these I kind of work out but feel like I only come away half understanding, and slightly making up my own contextual thoughts, because when phrasing ends up “…isn’t it somehow that it’s that?” it’s really hard to work with. I know not to expect Japanese to phrase things anything like English would, but I’m finding it hard to wrap my head around those sorts of statements, even if I can often sort of insert what seems to be the sensible meaning from what I do get.

My particular hangup with this sentence was just that I’ve never heard vector used casually like that in my life; I dunno if this is a common thing that means the Japanese ベクトル is conceptualized of a little differently or something. I guess in this case it’s basically serving the same function 方 would.

I’m nearing the end of 1, but I’ll probably be back with something else I come across, or skim back through for other panels that bugged me when I was reading away from the computer.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I get the impression she’s kind of fumbling for what exactly she’s trying to say here.

One way you’ll see “the explanatory の” translated as is “because”. That gets us something more like:

“Wanting to be thought good of… Isn’t it because it’s for boys only?”

I know, still a bit awkward in English here.

The anime uses the same line, and here's how the English subtitle handles it.

Just wait until you find out how “juice” and “ice” and “mansion” get used :wink: