アオハライド (Ao Haru Ride) book club [now reading volume 9]

I read it first time in english too, I think it might be smart before trying the japanese one :smile:

I didn’t know this! maybe they have that for other manga too? :thinking:
I bought mine from Book-off in japan though, and that was really cheap. I wish there was a japanese book-off where I live too, a shame no one else here can see the need xD Amazon will probably be my go-to in the future.

2 Likes

I saw them on bookwalker but not amazon japan. Doesn’t matter though, I’m happy to pay (a reasonable price) for them.

Nice! I recently found a bookoff here, it’s the first place I want to look for them, but it’s a small bookoff so we’ll see.

I’m undecided on whether I want digital or physical… Kindles from amazon japan are so easy to get but having a manga collection looks more fun when you have books :thinking: I’ll probably go for physical because I worry amazon japan will get angry at me for not being in Japan :confused:

2 Likes

Yup, I’ll love to join!

2 Likes

I just ordered a copy on Amazon Japan, it’ll take a few days to arrive. Looking forward to reading it.

3 Likes

Just to make clear for everyone, they are free to read until that date. In this case you will lose access to them after that date, even if you already “purchased” it for free.

2 Likes

fixed it in the first post. thanks!

1 Like

Put be down as a definite maybe. The main series I’m watching right now is completely episodic, so I can set it aside and dive into the first episode or two of アオハライド this week. That’ll help me see if it’s something I’d be interested in reading. Worst case scenario, I spend the next two or three weeks watching the anime (it’s only 12 episodes), then if I feel like I want to see what happens next, I can catch up starting with volume 1.

From there, there’s also the consideration on whether it’s something I’d want to tackle in Japanese or read in English (not that I’ve done much English manga reading these past several months…). I do have a goal of 30 volumes of manga to read in 2020, and I don’t necessarily have enough on my to-read list to meet the goal, so adding another series would help.

If time allows for it for you, one method I like to do is to read something in Japanese (typically one or two pages), then read it in English, then re-read it in Japanese. Usually on the second read-through in Japanese, I’m left thinking, “How did I miss that?” (which probably means I need to do better…)

2 Likes

the volume 1 discussion thread is up! :grin:

tagging the people who showed interest in reading the manga: @kelitt @LittleCheeno @thebiofan @quadban @jprspereira and maybe @ChristopherFritz

and @Moritaro too, if you’re interested in re-reading with the group or just commenting/answering questions :hugs:

and a quick poll about the discussion threads: should the title be in

• english (Ao Haru Ride)
  • japanese (アオハライド)

0 voters

Awesome! You might want to add this to the master list of book clubs if you haven’t already. I’ve started looking at the first volume while it’s free on Amazon, I will comment on the new thread when I have a bit more time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I may after two days already be six episodes into the anime, and I may already be wondering what all content the manga will have beyond the anime’s 12 episodes.

3 Likes

I would reread it but I no longer have my books anymore after moving back to Japan.

1 Like

Fun fact: as far as I can tell, the kindle versions of volumes 1 and 2 were free to buy and not just read until Jan 28. At least, it’s not free in the eshop anymore but I can still read it (might give it a couple days until I’m sure though). And I might buy the physical books anyway :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My “free” copies from Kobo have turned back into pumpkins already. But I have room in my manga budget for some spending later this week.

2 Likes

1 Like

Ah, as I suspected, I spoke too soon. Can’t read the free versions anymore :frowning_face: But that means I have an excuse to make a trip to the japanese bookstore! :star_struck:

What’s confusing is that some of the kindle ebooks have a “無料版” label on the thumbnail, but others don’t. So I’m not sure how people are supposed to know which ones will disappear, and when. I guess if you get a free manga volume and are fluent you just read it in a couple days no problem :thinking:

2 Likes

Aaaand its April so its time for Volume 2!

2 Likes

Yup :smiley:
I kind of forgot our scendule and finished volume 2 evening 31., making sure to be done before April :sweat_smile:

I kind of struggle with some of the conversations, when they talk about less common things, and especially Kou tend to use difficult words sometimes. I have to check Jisho a lot on those xD

But most of the time is easier, I think, because they talk about more everyday or common things. Then I can understand most of it without having to look up words.

What are your experience?

1 Like

Hello, Ohaiyou,
I have been following this book club since February, but really gave up on reading, simply because I had no time. Unfortunately, we all have to stay indoors now… on the plus side, this leaves me much more time for reading. So I would like to join^^. I will try and catch up volume 1 and then enter the volume 2 discussion. Volume 3 starts in May or June?
I am new to reading and I struggle a lot with the spoken language at the moment, but I guess that will improve :smiley:.

4 Likes

Welcome :smile:
Let’s improve together! Think of how good we’ll be at reading when this stay-at-home period is over xD Maybe we can start vol3 in May, if everyone finishes early.

3 Likes

Hi, how is everyone doing?

I’ve spent ~2 months without touching アオハライド, some people seem to have more time with the lockdown, I somehow have less time :frowning_face:

I did a quick look through volume 1 to refresh my memory (I forgot a lot of words and grammar, but I remember the story), and plan to start reading volume 2 (which luckily I bought before the lockdown started) throughout this month :smile:

2 Likes