アオのハコ (Blue Box) Book Club Home Thread [reading Vol 2]

Welcome to the アオのハコ (Blue Box) Book Club’s Home Thread! This book was nominated in the Beginner Book Club and is going to be an independent, scheduled book club starting on April 29th - just after Komi vol. 1 is finished.

Genres: Shounen, Sports, Romance, School Life
Volumes: 9 (ongoing)
Nomination Post: here
Natively: Level 24

Summary (from mangaupdates)

Taiki Inomata is on the boys’ badminton team at sports powerhouse Eimei Junior and Senior High. He’s in love with basketball player Chinatsu Kano, the older girl he trains alongside every morning in the gym. One Spring day, their relationship takes a sharp turn … And thus begins this brand-new series of love, sports and youth!

Where to Buy:
Physical: Amazon | CD Japan
Digital: Kindle | Bookwalker

Schedule:
Volume 1

Week Start Date Chapter # of Pages
Week 1 April 29 1 (pg 5 - 30) 23
Week 2 May 6 1 (pg 31 - 59) 29
Week 3 May 13 2 26
Week 4 May 20 3 24
Week 5 May 27 4 20
Week 6 June 3 5 20
Week 7 June 10 6 20
Week 8 June 17 7 20

Polls:

Will you be reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters
Which version will you be reading?
  • eBook
  • Paperback
0 voters
5 Likes

Here’s the page distribution in the first volume:

The first chapter is a heaping 56 pages long, but the next ones are just 20 or a little over. How do we feel about doing 1 chapter/week, but with the first chapter split into 2 or 3 weeks?

And how do we feel about an April 29th starting date? That’ll be just after Komi is finished so that people can comfortably read both.

3 Likes

First chapter actually has quite a bit more text in it than I remembered, so it is definitely worth splitting that one. I’m fine with either 2 or 3 sections, but leaning towards 2, especially since it looks like there might be a nice break about halfway through

3 Likes

Yeah it’s really quite long - I read it without looking at the page numbers and was wondering why it felt longer than the shoujos I usually read haha. I agree, 2 would go with the flow of the chapter better, and if people want to take more time to read it they’re always welcome to start it a little earlier!

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: I’m in.

4 Likes

Isn’t the book club starting today?
Will there be separate threads for each week like for the regular book clubs? Or only this one thread here?

I am really looking forward to finally starting the manga now :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe a separate thread for each volume would be better? I don’t know how many people will end up reading and contributing, but I feel like one thread per week might be unnecessary but everything in one thread could get disorganized, especially once latecomers start coming in. Of course it’s up to OP though and I ultimately don’t mind either way

I’m also looking forward to finally starting this! The books have been calling my name since they arrived lol

4 Likes

Yeah I agree, weekly thread would probably be overkill with how few people are starting. Volume threads might be nice to keep things semi-organized, though. I think that’s how offshoot clubs normally do it (at least from looking at takagi-san threads it seems to work for them)

Excited to start this as well though!

Might be a few days late starting, but I’ll catch up

3 Likes

I read the full first chapter today. Taiki is adorable—when toward the end of this week’s reading he immediately started offering Chinatsu everything he had that would help warm her up after she sneezed was endearing—and Hina’s pretty great too

4 Likes

I must say I completely forgot about this club and that it was starting now. I wasn’t sure if I would join but it seems like a nice story and I was indeed looking for something else since Komi just finished, so I will at least try to join for volume 1 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I ready the part of week 1 (~page 30) and up till now I really like what I’m reading :smiley: Can’t wait for next week!

I just love how cute Taiki is in regards to the girl. And I have to admit, that I wouldn’t have expected a shounen manga to be romance with a tiny bit of sports in it (instead of muuuuch sports and only romance on the side…if any). As you can guess, I haven’t read many shounen manga yet. I am really curious whether my impression after this week’s part will stay this way later on.

Edit: Since there is no thread for week one yet, I just put my thoughts for the week here as well

3 Likes

thank you for your patience everyone, the volume 1 thread is up!

6 Likes

Anyone considering joining, but not ready to commit with a purchase yet?

Guess what’s free to read for the next week.

5 Likes

How are things looking for volume 2?

2 Likes

I am down to continue for volume 2!

Here’s the table of contents for volume 2: looks like the chapters have settled into nice ~20 page chunks, so nothing long like chapter 1. If we wanted to keep the same speed as volume 1 it would be pretty easy to continue just doing 1 chapter per week.

Although, if the people left reading are interested in increasing that speed, I wouldn’t be opposed to that either

4 Likes

I’m mostly unavailable for the next two weeks, but it looks like @rokon may be on a much longer hiatus at the moment.

Depending on interest, perhaps we can reconvene in a couple of weeks? If we don’t hear from rokon by then, I or someone else interested can do a thread for volume two.

Or sooner if someone wants to earlier. The main duties would be creating a single thread for a volume, then posting a weekly reminder of what chapter(s) we’re reading that week. Maybe open with a poll on whether there’s interest in going one or two chapters per week (multiple selection). I like to give a little extra weight to the slower pace if it’s a close vote.

4 Likes

Volume 2 thread is up! let me know if there’s anything I missed, since this is the first time I’ve tried making a book club thread :sweat_smile:.

For the sake of simplicity I left the schedule similar to volume 1 at 1 chapter per week, but included a reading speed poll.

Could a regular please change the title to [reading Vol 2] ?

4 Likes

Had a little spare time tonight so I put the volume 3 thread together; the schedule looks about the same as the last volume at ~20 pages per chapter!

5 Likes

Volume 4 thread is up!

4 Likes

2 weeks late, but an anime adaptation was announced!

4 Likes