よつばと! Vol 7 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Yes, in this case it’s talking more about にする 1. to decide (on something)​ than about the しとけ part.
So it makes sense.

1 Like

So I’m almost through volume 1. What’s the likeliness that I could eventually catch up? Based on your guys’ schedule I think I could, but what do you guys think? (Also does this happen often?)

Yes, of course you can catch up if you want to! But you know this is the vol.7 thread, right? Best place to ask general questions is in the meta-thread, and from there you can see all the threads for all the volumes so far! Good luck!

1 Like

Very likely, but it depends on your reading speed.
Going full speed, as an example, if you read 7 chapters a day, you’d catch up in a week. :crazy_face:
So if you read half that, in two weeks. And so on. :stuck_out_tongue:
Considering all of the other volumes have been discussed (some more than others), and that you can always ask questions if you’re confused about something.

We’ll be here for around 7 weeks, at least for this volume, so even if you read one volume a week, you’ll catch up eventually. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t happen too often, though, but it seems that some people might be thinking about it this time. :smiley:

2 Likes

I was 1.5 volumes behind last week, and started catching up. Today I still had half a manga left, so sat down and did it all + this chapter =P

Wow, after having a break, and reading other stuff and learning more, when I picked up Yotsuba again it was SO much easier than before O_o
I read the Japanese first, and English after, but I almost consider not even bothering with the English version cause I had understood it well enough not to need it!
And gosh, some of the previous chapters was great fun! =D

I’m so glad I decided to try catch up =^_^=

6 Likes

Probably a dumb question :sweat_smile:, but

Page 13:
こうやって結んでもいけるの?
I get the meaning, “will it still work if we tie it like this?”

My question is, is it this いける? Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

Also, Yotsuba just got a phone and she’s already getting scammed. :joy:

Page 20: I also don’t get the はさんどこう part when she closes the window. :thinking:
Oops, forgot the page :sweat_smile:

Well, that was a quick chapter, now I want to read more. :eyes:

3 Likes

Page 13

Miura: こうやって 結んでもいけるの?

Ena: ここで声が 止まっちゃうかな? やってみよう

こうやって - in this way
結んで - て form of 結ぶ, to tie
も - definition 4, 〜ても, even if
いける - to go well
の? - casual question particle

ここで - here
声が - voice + がparticle
止まっちゃう - 止まる, to stop, with a ちゃう ending (casual version of ~てしまう), to stop unintentionally or regrettably
かな? - I wonder
やってみよう - let’s try (やる, to do, in てform, then 見る, meaning 5, to try, in “let’s” form!)

Miura: “will it still work if we tie it like this?
Ena: Oh dear, the voice might stop here. Let’s try!

1 Like

Page 20

I know we shouldn’t, but Google Translate just gave me “let’s sandwich” for that, which actually makes perfect sense!

(And I reckon that on page 13, the いける must be the one you suggested, again, it just fits doesn’t it?)

2 Likes

:joy: Good enough for me. Maybe that’s the お八つ. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, it’s just that you hear it all the time in anime and such, so I wanted to make sure and commit it to memory. :slight_smile:

Also, great あらあら feeling you gave to the sentence. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you again Kazzeon!

I was thinking it’s the way Yotsuba jams the cup between the window and the frame!

1 Like

Thank you for what now? :laughing:

Oh, that indeed makes more sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I finished off the last two chapters of volume 6 today, and read this chapter too! \o/
Miura was so funny this chapter xD I just imagine her muttering these snarky little comments. すごい理解力だな (I also love how Asagi’s just like *serious tone * Yotsuba…you are email now. and Yotsuba’s just like “…yes”)

Also, can I say how much I love the cover of this volume? xD It looks like she’s leading a sheep rebellion.

3 Likes

This one was great. :joy: She just accepts her fate, really mature of her.

What do you mean “looks like”? :eyes:

3 Likes

Page 14

もういくつねると

What is that? “How many sleeps left till New Year?”

And then, the kids on the other end of the line say:
なんで正月だよ いくつ寝る気だよ

なんで - why
正月 - New Year
だ - copula
よ - sentence ending particle

いくつ - how many
寝る - to sleep
気 - no idea! Funny, of course I’ve seen this kanji a million times, but have no idea what it is doing here…
だ - copula
よ - sentence ending particle

I guess they are saying “Why are you singing about New Year? That’s the song “how many sleeps”!”, but I’m really lost with that 気.

1 Like

Yep.

気 here is “motivation, intention”. “Just how long do you intend to sleep?”

3 Likes

I see! That’s great! I had no idea! Thank you once again Belthazar! You helped me out a minute ago on the other thread, and now here. Really, thank you!

1 Like

Page 19

とーちゃんが けーさつに つかまって

All I understand from this is とーちゃんが (dad) plus がparticle, and つかまって which is 捕まる, to be arrested, in て form. I have no idea what けーさつに might mean. And then Yotsuba asks her dad to make a bank transfer! Sorry to be a pain, but can someone help with the けーさつに?

1 Like

けーさつ is けいさつ
The police!

Dad was arrested by the police, (if we don’t; we have to) transfer them money. :cold_sweat:
that pesky context

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you Kazzeon!

It has to be said, this is a great chapter! (Or have I been away too long and just forgotten how good Yotsuba is!) I love everything about it. Right from the very first panel (the detail and realism of that telephone pole on page 3), the art work is amazing, and the humour is wonderful! The kids’ heads as they watch the trajectory of the toy after they throw it out the window on page 18, and Fuuka’s reactions!

I’m being told here not to hog the conversation, and besides which, I have a ton of things to do, but thank you again Kazzeon for starting up the thread and thank you everyone for participating!

3 Likes

Both. :smiley:

Not to remove merit from あずま先生, but you should watch this video where they explain a lot of the drawing tricks and stuff. :smiley: It’s very interesting!

At this point, you should know not to care about that. :joy:

1 Like