よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

I think you’re right about all 3. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This was such a cute and enjoyable read =)
That granny was just so cute! And I love the ending of this chapter =^_^=

2 Likes

Page 88

(and page 9)

In the last panel on page 88 Yotsuba says ケーキやさんのほう
Which is ケーキやさんの方
Lit: in the direction of the cake shop, which must simply mean “to the cake shop”
All well and good…

My question is - - on page 9, is she using the same word?
On page 9 her dad says: おみやげ?じゃあどっか行かなきゃな
“You want a souvenir, well then, you’ll have to go somewhere”

Then Yotsuba says: ほほう
The vocab list has this down as “I see” or “wow”, which makes perfect sense.
But I wonder, could it also (despite the extra ほ!) be the same 方 as on page 88.

Or is reading too much よつばと! driving me round the bend?

2 Likes

Hahah! You’re looking too much into it. :stuck_out_tongue:
ほほう is an expression: ほほうとは - コトバンク ; Definition of ほほう - JapanDict: Japanese Dictionary
Of admiration or surprise, like: Oh!

Good to ask that type of question, though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought I might be! Thanks so much @Kazzeon!

1 Like

Page 89

I think this is the funniest page yet out of all volume three!

The actual song is:

咲いた咲いた
チューリップの花が
並んだ並んだ
赤白黄色
どの花見ても
きれいだな

Yotsuba’s version:

さーいーたー
さーいーたー
チューリップーがー
さーいーたー
チューリップーはー
さいてないー
うそでした
はーはー
ふーん

Brilliant!

6 Likes

I think that’s the vocab list for chapter 19 done! :slight_smile:
Looking forward to reading this chapter, since I don’t seem to remember it from before.

3 Likes

Ah, nice, you finished. I started on Friday, but it got too late, then I got distracted today.

3 Likes

Thank you @Kazzeon and @Belthazar! The list is quite thorough even after omitting some of the easier words. I really appreciate you two picking up the slack.

Chapter 19 Vocab List

2 Likes

Feels like a long time since the last chapter. :sweat_smile:

Page 121
Didn’t really get why they send them to hospitals? Is it for kids, or? :cold_sweat:
Since the keeper just says: モルモットですから。

2 Likes

:smiley:

I thought they were used for experiments… :open_mouth: Your comment actually gives me hope that it’s something less morbid.

Hah, I was going to ask the same question - does モルモット mean “test subject” in Japanese the same way that guinea pig does in English? The fact that he says “because they’re guinea pigs” suggests the answer is yes, but I don’t know if I’m just reading into that.

They wouldn’t do the experiments in the hospital, but in labs, right?

There are such things as research hospitals.

Maybe it’s because of all the babies? A joke about having babies in the hospital?

Been pretty quiet this week. Are there no issues with the current chapter, or is everyone just taking a break?

Or are we just overawed by that elephant? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have been pretty busy, unfortunately. I’ve already read the chapter, so I’ll leave you with some questions:

象を乗ったことがある?

Have you ever ridden an elephant?

動物の中でどれが一番好き?

Which animal do you like most?

どうしてモルモットは病院に送られるの?実験とかかな?答えてください。

Why are marmots sent to the hospital? (For) experiments or something, perhaps? Please answer.

1 Like

Yes, life (and WK!) is getting in the way of reading Yotsuba at the moment and I still haven’t finished last week’s chapter. I also have some questions I’ve recently found from previous chapters, but just haven’t had the time to get them down yet, just too busy! But I’ll try to catch up soon!

1 Like

Page 40

Okay, so here’s a question from way back on page 40.

Asagi’s mum has just wondered how come Asagi turned into such a delinquent (!) and Tori is sitting there, overhearing this, and thinks to herself: 親にも問題がある気がする.

I guess she’s thinking “I feel the problem might also be with the parent”.

What I don’t understand is what 気 is doing in the sentence. Any ideas?

1 Like

ぜんぜん

My Japanese doesn’t suffice to express this, but I strongly urge anyone who comes across elephant rides still extant in the modern era to take their business elsewhere. In order to get the elephants docile enough to be ridden, they must first be tortured until their spirits break.

レッサーパンダ

モルモットですから

気がする is an expression meaning “to have a certain mood or feeling; to have a hunch​” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes