よつばと!Vol 1 Discussion Thread (Beginner's Book Club)

Perhaps the sentence could be translated as “Appeared very dangerous.”?

Let me know what you think.

1 Like

So it’s 3 years since I asked that question and my Japanese has improved a bunch since. The と used is a conditional particle basically meaning “if”, so what this sentence is saying is “if you stick your head outside (of the car window), it’s dangerous” or basically “let’s say you stick your head out of the window. That’d be dangerous”.

Often in Japanese, this conditional と is used as a command, or to basically explain to someone that what they’re doing will result in something (usually bad). A lot of the time the consequence (which here is 危ない) isn’t even included and is just implied, and it’s expected that the listener is able to pick up on some particular consequence.

Are you possibly mistaking the ぞー for そう? Since 危ないそう would give that feeling. The ぞ here is (if I’m not mistaken) a fairly masculine particle used kind of like よ.

5 Likes

Ah! I see, (I need to start looking at the age of some of these threads lol!), your explanation does make a lot more sense. I thought I was informing you, when clearly I was the one mistaken. Thanks for the grammar lesson! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s okay! The amount of times I go to reply to someone only to realize the comment is months or years old is worrying. And I post wrong answers to things all the time, but that just means we can be corrected and learn!

3 Likes

Welcome to the WK community @Pazispeace and welcome to the Yotsuba Book Club!

It’s always great to see a new question here in this thread, something we have missed, but could you please let me know the page number? If you look through the thread, you’ll see that most people put the page number at the top of their posts. It’s a very helpful and friendly thing to do! Thank you!

And Happy Christmas too! To you, and to everyone reading this thread!

1 Like

Hi all, I picked this book up when this thread came out but I wasn’t really ready to read it yet. It’s then sat on my shelf for ages while I’ve read other stuff with the book clubs. I picked it up again this week and really enjoyed reading through. As others have noted it becomes so much easier after the first half of chapter one.

It was actually a real pleasure having a book I could read through relatively easily. Thanks to everyone who posted questions and answers. The times I wasn’t sure what the text meant someone had generally asked the question here.

8 Likes

I too have finished reading vol. 1 today. I put it off for a while 'cause all the times I first tried, I got discouraged from the beginning, but glad I kept going this time. Definitely did not understand everything (especially when the adults spoke, so I feel pretty juvenile lawl), but got the majority of I think. :smiley:

Probably gonna run through this through thread at some point and go read over all the explanations of things I didn’t understand that I’m sure others have asked about.

Curious if I should get more volumes or not though.

7 Likes

Hi guys - don’t know how many people still look at this thread, but hopefully somebody can help me.

On page 64 and come across ‘ねちまった’. I’m assuming it’s something to do with sleep, because he (Yotsuba’s dad) just got up and because I’m assuming it’s related to ‘寝る’. Also guessing it’s past tense. But I can’t figure out it’s exact meaning, since the past tense for 寝る is 寝た. Got no idea where the ‘ちまった’ has come from. Any help please?

2 Likes

It’s an abbreviation for 寝てしまった. しまう is an auxiliary verb meaning either “to do completely” or that the doing of the verb has resulted in regret.

In this case it’s like “oh no, I fell asleep!”

5 Likes

Hey! I’m also going through this book right now.
I believe it is a more masculine ending of ~てしまう (to finish doing)
So he’s saying I finished sleeping

2 Likes

Thank you @Belthazar and @1Deannab! That really helps a lot

1 Like

I’ve been reading this through bit by bit since January and finally finished it today! Feels really good to get through a whole book and understand 95% of it! Thank you for all the assistance everyone has received in this thread. It’s lovely to see all the joy this wonderful manga got.

7 Likes

Been wanting to read this one since I don’t know even when. Picked up volume 1 from my desk on a whim last weekend and basically started reading the first chapter completely. Have read a chapter per day since to keep the momentum going. Didn’t need to look up anything during reading and felt like I got a good enough understanding. Gave me a pretty good feeling finishing volume 1 as a whole. Of course now I’m checking up on some things before I’ll continue with the next volume.

8 Likes

After going through the book, the vocab list, my notes, and this thread again, I have one question I don’t see here. It’s regarding what’s happening in the beginning of Chapter 4 (this is more of a cultural question, I think).

Pages 118 - 119, 風香 and her mom are discussing the circular they received and that it’s meant for their new neighbor.
Page 124 - 126, 風香 brings よつば and her dad the circular and he’s filling out his name, address, and making a list of things he needs (I’m not sure if the list is simply just a continuation of what he was planning on doing before 風香 arrived or if it’s related to the circular).

What is up with this circular? Why did 風香 and her family have it, and why does よつば’s family need to fill this out? Is the list making related to this or no?

2 Likes

The paper is from the 町内会(ちょうないかい), which is essentially a group of residents in a neighborhood who organize to improve things for residents in the neighborhood. They do things like handle waste management, neighborhood security, help the elderly, organize funerals, and so on.

I figure the reason Fuuka’s mother was given the paper is because she lives right next door to the new neighbor.

My guess is that the paper is for Yotsuba’s father to sign up to join the association. It’s typically not mandatory to join such a neighborhood association, but from what I’ve read, there’s a social pressure to join.

The list of things he’s writing is separate and unrelated. It’s just his shopping list.

5 Likes

Organize funerals?! That’s definitely something I would not have guess. So it’s somewhat like a neighborhood watch with many more responsibilities. Fantastic insight. He’s such a laid back kind of guy, so I wonder how the group as a whole will respond to him? Guess I need to read more to find out!

Thank you, @ChristopherFritz !

My wording may be a bit off (but still close). Imagine if your neighbor loses a family member, and they’re going through emotional difficulties. You might help get the funeral arrangements handled for them. Things like that. (I think rather than “organize”, perhaps I should write “handle arrangements”?)

Maybe kind of somewhat considered a spoiler: Except for one story that focused a bit on the next door neighbors, the mangaka has sort of a rule that the stories center around Yotsuba. So we never see any neighborhood association activities. I don’t think it ever comes up again, unless I’ve forgotten something.

Well, you also sign the circulars to mark that you’ve read it (i.e. so it doesn’t wind up coming back around to you again).

4 Likes

That is something I did not know. I feel I am now finally ready to move to Japan! (Although, I wasn’t planning on doing so…)

3 Likes

Thank you for organising the book club and participating in it. I just finished the first volume, this is my first book in Japanese (graded readers aside), and I am very proud of myself. But I don’t think I would be able to make it through without y’all!

12 Likes