よつばと!Vol 1 Discussion Thread (Beginner's Book Club)

What a brilliant post! Thank you so much @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz! Much appreciated! :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

誰がいないね、多分?

This sentence is killing me. ジャンボが二人分働くしな。What does it mean? I understand the words individually but I’m unsure of the meaning of the sentence. Any help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Page 11

In context, the father and Jumbo had just talked about how a third person, Yanda, isn’t there to help move.

The father says it’s fine, because “Jumbo does the work of two people”.

二人分 = portion for two people

There’s a missing particle that should be after 二人分, but it’s left out as it’s clear from context (for a native Japanese speaker). But I can’t say which particle it would be, as I’m not familiar with 二人分 used in sentences.

I’m not positive about the use of し+な at the end, so I won’t speculate.

4 Likes

It’s the し used when listing reasons for something. な is just the introspective sentence ending particle

4 Likes

That し I’m about 5% familiar with. Looks like I’ll be on the lookout for it showing up more when I read things. Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome to the WK community @zamman and welcome to the Yotsuba Book Club! Great first post! Thank you for posting a really nice question which it seems we missed previously in the thread - and thank you @ChristopherFritz and @Kumirei for answering it!

Could I make a request @zamman? When you post questions, please can you put the page number at the top of the post. Not only does this save everyone heaps of time trying to find the sentence, it also makes it easier to find in the search function (and thus avoids too many duplicate questions). If you take a look at Christopher’s reply, you’ll see he added the page number in bold at the top (probably from sheer unconscious habit by now!).

Anyway, thanks again so much for the question, and hope to see you in the threads again soon! (Plus, we have a live-reading every week. We finish volume 8 and start volume 9 this week if you happen to have those already and would like to join us!).

1 Like

Oh, and I forgot to mention… I spent ages trying to find this sentence in the book. Then it dawned on me, that perhaps this isn’t from the book at all, right? It’s something you’re saying is it? Or have I got the completely wrong end of the stick?

1 Like

Sounds like you need to read the volume several more times to be able to recognize at a glance what isn’t in it =D

Joking aside, I thought the same at first. You won’t find it in the manga (unless you want to write it into a margin near an appropriate-looking panel…)

5 Likes

I tell ya, the amount of times I’ve read volume one (first here, then with youtube videos, then in our live reading, then in the other live reading group, etc) you’d think I’d know every line by now! But nope, still getting tripped up over the smallest things!

2 Likes

Oh, I’m really sorry. I hope I didn’t waste your time! I’m make sure to reference the page number

2 Likes

Yep, that makes perfect sense now! Thank you so much

1 Like

That’s super helpful, thanks!

Welcome to the WK forums @dankov! And welcome to the WK Yotsuba book club!

1 Like

Thanks for bumping this. I forgot all about it and had to rewatch it now, after having read the entire よつばと series a while ago. I really liked that manga, although I think there are some easier options for beginners.

1 Like

Aha no worries. It was definitely a bit too difficult for me at my current level, just with all the unusual language used by よつば and ひっこし (?) as mentioned in Misa’s video. I’ll stick with some easier Tadoku stories for now.

ひっこし means “moving house”. Are you thinking of Yotsuba’s dad?

1 Like

WHOOPS, yes I meant her dad! I assumed it was a name since my translation didn’t give me anything. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

Isn’t that 変なもん持って来なよ instead of

変なもん持ってくれなよ

持って+来る= Bring;持って+来る+ない(command)=Don’t bring

I think 呉れる doesn’t makes much sense (to me)。Can someone confirm if this is correct, and if it isn’t explain me? pls

It says 変なもん持ってくんなよ. You sometimes find that る before an n-sound gets changed to ん, so it’s 変なもん持ってくなよ. な after the dictionary form can be a negative imperative.

5 Likes

thank you!