よつばと!Vol 1 Discussion Thread (Beginner's Book Club)

At page 17 dad says to a girl on bicycle: 君 高校生 だよね? And after that: しっかりしてん なぁーと思って。俺が高校のときは もっとー。あ 今でもしっかり してないんだけど。I am not sure that I can understand meaning of his speech and a goal of this address as well. I tried to look for meanings of しっかりして in russian and english dictionaries but with their explanations these sentences still dont make much sense for me. Can anyone explain this part in details please?

1 Like

Welcome! :smiley:

It’s しっかり+している+ね, being slurred together somewhat casually.

1 Like

I think grammatical part is more or less clear for me, but, as I said, I cant understand what does he want to say. Translations of しっかり are a bit vague for me, my english is bad btw. He is asking about is she senior in high school and then how reliable she is? But it doesnt make any sense…

1 Like

“You’re a high schooler, right?”

Then he’s saying she’s reliable, and that when he was in high school he was a bit more… (implying less reliable). Well, even now he’s not that reliable.

1 Like

Just looked at translations of word “reliable” and realised how bad my english is :expressionless:
These sentenses make much more sense now, thanks for help.

2 Likes

Welcome to the WK forums @Clausewitz!
And welcome to the Yotsuba Reading Club!
We have a live reading every week if you’d like to join us!
This week it is chapter 7 (vol, 1) and chapter 8 (vol, 2).
The time is: 2020-06-27T03:00:00Z
Perhaps see you there!
:smiley: :four_leaf_clover: :+1:

Sorry if I’m late to the game, but on page 36 in the first thought bubble yotsuba thinks, 知らない人についていっちゃだめだ

I am having difficulty parsing the いっちゃ portion of that sentence. I parse the rest of it as, “About the person you don’t know … don’t” Can someone help explain how いっちゃ fits into the sentence?

2 Likes

ちゃ is a contraction of ては
いっちゃ is the same as 言っては

3 Likes

Thank you! These little pointers are often all I need to find other reference material.

1 Like

One resource you may like to use is ichi.moe. Here’s how they handle/display the portion in question:

Screenshot_20200713_131408

4 Likes

It’s interesting how ichi.moe breaks down the sentence. In this particular case though I presume it gets いっては wrong because it picks the wrong kanji.

いって can be a tricky one, and it’s one I make mistakes with from time to time. But I think ichi.moe has it right.

Someone asked about this same line of dialogue in Hi-Native, specifically the いっちゃ:

「知らない人についていっちゃだめだよ。」の「いっちゃ」はどういう意味ですか。

My translation:

What is the meaning of 「いっちゃ」 in 「知らない人についていっちゃだめだよ。」?

Responses include:

The first line translates as “The meaning is 行くこと.” They wrote 「行っては」 and 「行っちゃ」 in their response as well.

As you encounter it more, you’ll find that ついていく is a common combination of ()く (to attach) and ()く (to go), meaning “to accompany; to follow; to keep up with”. You’ll also find it’s most commonly written as 「付いていく」.

Edit: I just noticed 言っては was written in a prior comment. (I didn’t catch it before because I was focused on the ちゃ/ては portion of the comment.) It’s easy to accidentally select 言 or 行 when typing. Either that, or @Kumirei is testing new readers for awareness :wink:

3 Likes

oops

Ah. That clarification makes some sense. I colloquially translated it as, “[My dad] says people you don’t know are bad.” Which when you think about it, disparaging 99.9999999% of the population, I suppose would be a pretty bleak perspective on life. If it’s “Don’t follow people you don’t know.” I presume that fits with the story line better. This is a case where I wish the kanji would be used to help disambiguate. Thanks for clarifying both @Kumirei and @ChristopherFritz. Very helpful.

3 Likes

Considering how many kanji there are out there waiting for you to spend years learning, it can be just a touch bittersweet to think, “I wish they used kanji here”, y’know?

You’ll find that 「[verb]て + いく」 and 「[verb]て + くる」 come up a lot, and in such usage, the kanji 行 and 来 are typically not used.

On the 言 side, you will also see 「(sentence)と + いう」 and 「(sentence)って + いう」 (often without the kanji), but those are used when someone is quoted.

2 Likes

よつば folks,

Page 16.

あそこの電柱の所ネットがあるじゃないですか

This seems like a relatively simple sentence to translate right up until they turn ある into the negative form. At which point it makes no sense to me anymore. I want this to be, “Over there by the utility pole there’s a net?” But the “there is not a net” is confusing. What’s going on with that part of the sentence?

Thanks.

1 Like

It makes more sense if it’s the father talking and he’s asking, “Isn’t there (is there not) a net over there by the utility pole?” But the second sentence in that speech bubble indicates that it’s the girl talking.

1 Like

This is not a negation of the contents, it’s a phrase ending similar to “isn’t it?” in English. “There is a net, isn’t it?” In this context I guess she wants to soften her explanation as she is talking to an older person.

This is the relevant entry in Jisho: https://jisho.org/search/じゃ無いか (she throws in です for politeness)

7 Likes

What a fabulous idea! I’m totally new here and happy to see the thread is still a thing. What a fantastic manga, right?

Sooooo, quite surprisingly, I can’t find any discussion on the most confusing thing I’ve seen in this manga so far. It’s in story 4 “よつばとテレビ” when Jumbo is tossing accusations at the dad because young 美少女 Fuuka is there.

Jumbo: あんた何才?
Fuuka: 16歳です
Jumbo: 未確認飛行物体発見!
Dad: おちつけ!

So, what’s with the UFO thing? Is there some colloquial meaning I’m not getting here? Sounds like the dad is telling him to chill out about it. So what’s up here?

And why am I not finding any other questions on this topic lol? (because I don’t know how to internet?)

1 Like

Hes basically saying because fuuka is such a 美人 and only 16 years old to boot its the same as spotting an ufo (meaning what a rare and exiting encounter). (“I spottet an UFO”).
Just a silly reply from jumbo. He often jokes around like that

4 Likes