ゆるキャン△ | Week 6 Discussion 🏕

I would read that as “Nadeshiko’s cooking”

By herself - She almost ate it all by herself

6 Likes

Nadeshiko dish! めし means “food; meal”, so I agree with Heiopei that it means Nadeshiko’s food, but perhaps the spirit of it is more like “the Nadeshiko special”, with the way it’s merged together (rather than e.g. なでしこのメシ) and presented like a name.

So she is saying that she wanted to try eating Nadeshiko’s hotpot (or whatever it was she made?).

Herself. じぶん is tricksy.

This is the “by way of” meaning.

It’s attached to じぶん, so it’s “by herself”.

Completely ate (with an air of regrettableness, I’m sure).

So altogether we have “she just about ate it completely by herself though”, or in other words “she just about ate the whole thing by herself though”.

Aw, Heiopei got a sneaky edit in :stuck_out_tongue: might as well post this anyway…

8 Likes

This is 食べてみたい (want to try to eat) in past tense, yielding 食べてみたかった (wanted to try to eat).

7 Likes

I saw you writing something so I had to pull a Ninja edit :grin:

But you explained it in more detail.

5 Likes

Since it wasn’t explicitly mentioned by the nice people above, it’s メシ, not メツ by the way :wink:

9 Likes

Page 129

I confess myself a bit confused by もっさり - is the objection to thick padding really largely that it’s unstylish?? I mean, I can totally see that, but isn’t the “real” issue more that it makes things bulky and heavy and difficult to lug about and move in?

Page 130

Ah yes, I was sure I remembered a page which left me with question marks circling my dazed head.

(1) 朝まで焚き火して気温が上がってから寝とったらしいよ

Okay, this is: “[they] would use a fire until morning, and then sleep after the air temperature increased”… right?

(2) 暖をとってやり過ごすのもありだな

…“it’s also possible to warm yourself too much at a fire / overuse a fire (to warm yourself)”…??

(3) 焚き火の他だと暖まる方法はー

So, I know she’s saying “other ways of warming yourself up, besides a fire…”

But I’m confused by the construction. Why 他だと - is this と the quotation particle? So “other than a fire” ways of warming oneself?

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: they’re teenagers?

1. Yes.

2. I thought this 暖 refers to sth like 暖房 etc, so a heating system… Might be wrong though, didn’t check any resources. So my interpretation was, ‘there’s also (the possibility of) bringing a heater and spending time like that/using that.’… Not so sure anymore on this!

3. I believe this is the conditional - ‘if it is something else than a fire ways of warming up are-’

2 Likes

My J-J has this definition that’s not in JMDict, which feels a bit more relevant. Maybe.

毛が厚くはえているようさ。

Another option might be that もっさり just colocates like that…e.g. ‘kaba’ means crude/rough in Turkish but could be used in this situation to indicate that something is bulky.

Isn’t the て form a conjunctive here? I thought she was saying something like “warming yourself and overdoing [the fire] is a thing”. That’s dangerous, so she starts thinking about options other than fire.

4 Likes

Heh, I just ran across that one during my research, and I was literally about to post it. Yen Press has gone with “plump”.

The primary meaning of 過ごす is “to pass the time”, innit?

3 Likes

Page 130 (1) Just to be nitpicky here, I’d like to point out that it ends with ~たらしい so I guess a really precise translation would be “It seems they had a fire going until morning and slept when the air temperature increased”. (unless this is already contained in your choice of “would”, which I’m not sure of :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

Thanks all for the replies on もっさり - that adds a lot. Even if it has a more explicit “plump; well-stuffed” sort of a meaning, I can still imagine saying something like “but it’s kind of chunky-looking, right?”, the main concern implied being more related to aesthetics. It just seemed a bit weird to say “but that looks so unfashionable” from an English point of view!

Ah, I was aware of that, but in posting my translation I was focused on understanding the 寝とった part and the sequence of the verbs / clauses, so I forgot to include that aspect explicitly. Thanks for flagging it :+1:

Ah okay, thank you. Fits that same split of “if we’re talking about things other than X, ways of…” :ok_hand:

:joy: I don’t feel like we have much consensus!

Might be worth mentioning that 暖をとる is a specific phrase meaning “to warm oneself”, which is why I had “to warm oneself… too much”

I thought it was the second meaning of やり過ごす - “to do too much”. I suppose the implied negative could be that they’re spending too much time warming themselves up when they could be engaged in other activities (rather than the danger of overheating), but that seems an unlikely concern (where else are they planning to go?), and is a more nebulous connection than “you have warmed yourself too much so now you are too warm”.

It seems denzo has given a similar interpretation to my first assumption, so… I like it! :grin:

4 Likes

Well, Yen Press has gone with “Drawing warmth from the fire is a fine way to warm up”, but given some of their other translation efforts, feel free to take that with as much salt as you like. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As I said I’m not terribly confident in my take - It certainly looks like やり過ごす as you guys said. I think my brain just didn’t like what it came up with with that, and instead of pausing, as you ery sensibly did, just skipped over it and substituted something for it.

I like mine too, but I’m confident now that it’s wrong. :smiley:

3 Likes

Meanwhile, Deepl’s suggestion is “You might as well just warm up and let it go.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been finding that Deepl is mostly pretty good, but yeah, every once in a while, it over-paraphrases…

2 Likes

So, just to add another 2 yen worth…
My understanding was: Nadeshiko (?) says that the cowboys would keep the fire going all night in order for it to be warm enough for them to sleep, and then the other girl responds that overdoing things in order to stay warm is apparently a thing then (and promptly goes on to suggest something else).

I thought not so much dangerous as just effortful, because someone has to stay up and make sure the fire doesn’t die down too much.

4 Likes

Now that you’ve pointed it out, I think I’d go with this as well

I completely forgot that people who think making a fire is more effort than it’s worth might exist

1 Like

That’s Aoi. The eyebrows are the key.

Nadeshiko is currently being attacked by Yukichis. And is also the audience’s avatar, so they’re explaining stuff to us by explaining it to her.

1 Like

Oh bother, I wrote about that possibility in my initial reply and then deleted it because I thought it didn’t fit :joy: I found myself interpreting it as things like “spending too much time doing X”, and was worried I was adding extra meaning that didn’t exist there.

But given that the base 過ごす means to spend time doing something, I actually don’t think that should have been a concern…

1 Like

page 130

いや無いならムリに出さんでええわ

いや - well / no / disagreeable / reluctant
無い - nothing
なら - in case / if that’s the case / it is true that
ムリ - unreasonable
に - directional particle
出さん - don’t submit
で - particle
ええ - yes / correct ???
わ - indicated strong emotion

Based on context I’d guess she’s saying something like “Don’t submit unreasonable ideas!” But I only get that when I exclude a lot of the words so I’m guessing I’m pretty far off.

2 Likes

I think you got the gist of it, but let’s look at it in more detail:

いや - no, bad
無い - does not exist (negation of ある)
なら - if that is the case
ムリに - unnecessarily / uselessly
出さんで - do not submit (contraction of 出さないで)
ええわ - I guess these are just sentence-ending sounds of enforcement or something

So, something like “Hey, no! If we don’t have the things, please don’t submit them unnecessarily!”

6 Likes