ゆるキャン△ | Week 5 Discussion 🏕

Those are tasty, but not really what I’d picture when I think of the word “dumpling”, regardless of what Google thinks. 団子 is probably more what I’d think of.

2 Likes

Oh, those are made out of rice flour indeed. I guess I just don’t have an image of what a “dumpling” is.

1 Like

I felt this chapter was easier to read than the last one, but I need a bit of help with this:

Page 103, third panel: 目覚ましかけて見よっか ふじさん
The vocab sheet lists目覚まし as “keeping oneself awake”, but Nadeshiko is always talking about waking up early rather than not sleeping, so I was a bit confused. Could it actually be to set an alarm clock taking meaning 7 for かける?

Also, I first read the rest of the sentence as 見ようか, but then realised it’s 見よっか. Can someone explain this and whether the meaning is the same?

3 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly it.

3 Likes

Will change it then ^^

1 Like

It means the same. It’s just the way people talk. (That’s one problem with manga: things are transcribed the way people talk rather than the grammatically correct way)

5 Likes

Page 91

でもテントまだ持ってないから車で寝るんだけどねー

でも - But
テント - tent
まだ - not yet / still
持ってない - don’t have
から - because / after / from
車 - car
で - by / in
寝るん - to sleep
だけど - however
ねー - sentence ending particle / emphasis / right?

“But I don’t yet have a tent so I have to sleep in the car however.”

That doesn’t seem to make sense though because her sister dropped her off. What car would she sleep in? I must have something wrong in my translation.

2 Likes

In the end she really does sleep in the car with her sister. I think the sister is visiting Fujinomiya for the day and then comes back to the camping place.

5 Likes

That conversation is on the next page.

2 Likes

For that matter, so’s the line saying that her sister dropped her off and didn’t hang around. The panel of the sister waving from the car window saying おやすみ is a flashback to the end of chapter 1.

4 Likes

page 98

いやそんな食べえんし

いや - dislike
そんな - such
食べえんし - some gramatical form of to eat I’m not familiar with?

Can anybody point me to the relevant grammar point here plz?

2 Likes

It’s actually いやそんな食えんし; 食 is くう, not たべる. 食えん is 食えない, she’s saying “I can’t eat that much” in response to Nadeshiko’s bringing up the rice.

9 Likes

It’s いや meaning no (from いいえ)
And it’s 食えん read くえん from 食えない (cannot it)
し is an informal way to give reason
→ no, I can’t eat that much anyway.

8 Likes

page 101

Not sure about these translations.

て言っても野クルでキャンプやる日は

て - they said
言って - to say
も - also
野クル - Outdoor Activities Club
で - with
キャンプ - camping
やる - to do
日 - Sunday / sun
は - topic marker?

“They said that the Outdoor Camping Club camping day is on Sunday.”

まだまだ遠そうだけどね

まだまだ - Still some ways to go
遠そう - far away
だけど - however
ね - right

“So there is still some ways to go however (before the next one)”

道具なんにもないから

道具 - Tool
なんにも - Ichi.moe says “(nothing) at all; (not) any”
ない - to not exist
から - from / because

“Because they don’t have any tools (camping supplies).” [explaining why they can’t go camping until Sunday"]?

3 Likes

For starters, 日 is just “day”.

The phrase 野クルでキャンプやる is modifying 日 - in English, we’d translate that as a subordinate clause. “The day that we go camping with the Outclub”

て言っても is something like “well, I say that, but…”

You’ve basically got it for the other two lines.

“Well, I say that, but the day that we go camping with the Outclub is still a long ways off. Because we don’t have any equipment.”

12 Likes

Page 96

Nadeshiko says はいはいたーんとおあがり

• はいはい crawling
  • たんと a great amount
  • あがり return, profit

It sounds almost like she’s quoting some sort of proverb - “Working steadily brings a great return”. Rin comments about being a rural old lady - so maybe the sort of proverb an old person would say?

Page 102

春夏
Is this a kanji combination meaning “spring and summer”? If it is it’s not in Jisho.

The sentence is まあ 霧がよく出るのは春夏だけどね - something like “Well, the coming out of the fog is in spring and summer however”

Page 104

今夜のラストナンバーいかがでしたでしょうか

It took me a while to click this was the radio presenter talking. I think he’s saying, “tonight’s last number, how was it for you?” - referring to the last track he played.

4 Likes

Yes - you can do a similar thing with days of the week. So your bins might be collected 月水金, for example (although that’s a more extreme squishing).

4 Likes

This is just はい twice.

This is 召し上がってください in some kind of rural old-lady dialect, but I’m having trouble pinpointing precisely which.

Yeah. Reading in the anime is just はるなつ

But it’s got that distictive radio voice border on the speech bubbles. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yep, I completely missed that! Thanks for the answers both of you.

The anime is obviously a useful source for clarifying the readings of some of these words. I’d been trying to guess the reading for 春夏 with different onyomi combinations without success.

4 Likes

たーんと might be ちゃんと? (But could equally be the translation you suggested).

2 Likes