ゆるキャン△ Vol. 2 🏕

Oh lord, let’s see if I can handle this and Kiki’s Delivery Service at the same time. よし。行きましょう。!

7 Likes

I assume it’s partly because it’s harder to disguise things, and partly a much bigger production budget - they can afford the the lawyers to deal with it, and someone to go around asking for permission or whatever.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, I just changed it!

My guess would be, because she was driving a long way and the hot spring was closed, it added insult to injury since she also couldn’t see anything because of the clouds.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what I understood too.

Now, if the question is why it means that, the image is that you are already on the ground, but life just has to come and trample you and kick you some more.

6 Likes

Aye, that was the question. I got why she’d be saying “Well that’s just adding insult to injury”. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess I was more wondering if this is a part of a longer sentence that’s rarely spoken aloud any more (like, say, in English we can say “birds of a feather…” to imply “birds of a feather flock together”).

Perhaps an English idiom that matches more closely with the literal meaning might be “kicking me while I’m down”. Wiktionary mentions a possible synonym is 泣きっ面に蜂 = bees to a crying face.

5 Likes

I looked up the origin of this sentence… and it’s not at all what I thought.

戦国時代に、あるモノを、誤って踏んだり蹴ったりしてしまった武士が、織田信長に切腹を命じられるという事件があった。
南蛮渡来のものが好きだった織田信長はその武士に「珍しい紅茶の茶葉の塊を踏み、さらに蹴るとは何事ぞ」と烈火の如く怒鳴りつけたといわれている。
このとき、この武士は「私も紅茶を楽しみにしていたのに踏んだり蹴ったりで切腹とは散々だ」と時世の句を残し、ここから悪いことが重なることを「踏んだり蹴ったり」というようになった。

(Emphasis mine)
So it comes from some actually doing the trampling and kicking (even though it was by accident). It’s so weird.

7 Likes

Ah, feudal Japan, where you could order the death penalty for sneezing in the wrong direction, and then politely ask the offender to do it themselves, and they would.

For the most part…

7 Likes

By the looks of it, I probably won’t have enough time to fill out the vocab sheet after this week, however I’ll try to do as much as I can in this week!

So after this week, someone else would have to continue (if I do have enough spare time I’ll still help a bit but I can’t promise anything)

Sorry! :pray:

2 Likes

I should have enough time to be able to for at least the rest of this volume. I will enjoy the excuse to read ahead as well as opportunity to contribute.

3 Likes

do you know if this rule applies to electric unicycles?Blurplekek

6 Likes

I like your style

2 Likes

Rin-chan makes good pasta :eyes: Would eat, nomnom :chopsticks:

7 Likes

At first I thought the bike’s little つかれた on page 12 was a Kino reference for some reason, but it’s probably just Afro being cute.

Cute! What about it?

I think my favourite page was 18-19. It reminded me of a very good pair of days I had on mountains in Macedonia. I’m always so pleased with how well Afro captures the feeling of looking at pretty things in nature.

3 Likes

I’m wondering about page 27:

What’s up with てだよ? I thought 揚げた was a past tense verb and おんたま揚げ is the direct object, with を dropped. How to explain て?

3 Likes

It is 揚げたて where the たて part means the food is “freshly done.” Additional information here :3

One of the examples from the site I linked is やきたてパン which is ()く (in stem form) + たて, which means “just-baked bread.”

12 Likes

In a nutshell, basically:

*look of desperately summoning willpower*
こんちくしょう!!
おんせん!!
ととっ
おんせん!!
おんせん!!

The double spread is great as well though

and also the 4-koma at the end. that’s also my favourite.

1 Like

おんせん :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Dammit, I thought I’d gotten the hang of typing せ quickly

1 Like

Sure, by leaving out one of the letters…

2 Likes

It depends on how it works. If you have to pedal to go forward and the engine is just helping you (which is called “アシスト” assist in Japanese), the speed limit is 60 kph.
If it is entirely powered by the engine, then it’s 原動機付自転車. Note that I checked and unicycles are not allowed in this category, but assuming they were (so that ランチ from Dragon Ball can have her introductory escape scene), the speed limit for the whole category is 30 kph.

3 Likes