ゆるキャン△ Vol. 14 🏕

Alrighty, been a while. I’ve actually already linked a couple of places they mentioned in this chapter (because Nadeshiko and Sakura went there last volume), but considering how long it’s been, maybe I’ll link them again…

In any case, the Kagamiharas and Rin start at Jiunji, which is about a ten-minute drive from where we last saw them last. The sakura tree they’re admiring is in the first photo of the place, at least when I’m looking at it now. Not completely sure why the name amuses Nadeshiko so much.

The cafe they head to afterwards is all the way back down here agan - the purin is real, though. The places mentioned in passing on page 9 are Tonegawa Park (rather than Nagasawa Park in panel 1), and Nirasaki Central Park (rather than Fujii Park in panel 4).

Been trying to find either an official site or a well-illustrated blog post about the Oigatayaki which features prominently for the remainder of the chapter, but I’m not getting much from Google. I did find this, though.

On page 12, they’re here. The feuding temples mentioned on page 13 are Daizenji and Chokukuji (don’t believe Google’s version of the name - the Japanese Wikipedia confirms that it’s Chokokuji… though it is written with the same kanji as Kanagawa’s Hasedera). Then there’s Yamanashioka Shrine, and I feel like I brought this place up last volume when I was trying to work out the meaning of the torii on the hill. So there you go. Here is the actual Toriiyaki.

Google’s telling me the 大文字焼 Rin mentions on page 20 is here, but the only photo on Google Maps is of the Oigayayaki. You can juuuust make it out on satellite view, though. The place where they stop on page 24 Yatsushiro Furusato Park.

The omake page mentions Oshino Hakkai… and I feel like this place has come up before. Not completely sure of the precise location of the 八文字焼.

Page 12, is the box Ginko carries around with him in Mushishi an 笈, or is that something different?

4 Likes

I’m not late, you are late.

77 - ソロキャンの夜、犬山家の真実

Start date: December 17th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

2 Likes

Not much new to report so far as locations this week.

Surprisingly, the URL Rin sends Aki on page 35 is real, for possibly the first time this series. (It appears to be one camera that points in different directions - the direction it faces is altered by changing the number after the p. Looks like it defaults to p=1 if you don’t interact with it for a while.) Not sure of the precise location of the camera, but it’s in (or near) this park somewhere - probably doesn’t help that I keep forgetting to look at it until local night, so it just looks the same as it does here in the manga - a silhouette of a hill and a single light in the distance. The “Linear” in the camera’s name is because it’s pointing at the Linear Mag-Lev Shinkansen test track (set p=4 for a close-up look) - that’s the thing Rin is facing on page 41. (Unsurprisingly, neither the 追形焼 nor the 大文字焼 are visible right now.)

Can’t find Rin’s precise position in panel 3 of page 41, but here is panel 2.

[Edit]
Finally figured out why I can’t find the benches on Street View - because the Street View was taken in 2014, and they don’t exist yet. You can see them on satellite view, though. And having finally remembered to check out the webcam in daylight, I’m fairly sure it’s located on the roof of the right-hand hut in this view (the one next to the 展望台 marker.)
[/Edit]

But yeah, they spend the rest of the chapter at the campsite where Aki’s been since last volume.

Look at Rin! The first interaction we saw between her and Aki was her going “ugh, I can’t really deal with her”, and here she is initiating a conversation all on her own!

We finally meet the mystery meat, and it turns out Toba-sensei just bought the cheapest stuff on offer.

Not at all sure what these people have against lamb.

And… that was the entirety of the sakura camp? They’ve been foreshadowing this thing for an entire volume, and it lasted for less than half a chapter?

2 Likes

@Naphthalene ? You still in your post-Christmas food coma? :slightly_smiling_face:

No computer and barely any internet :confused:

1 Like

I don’t even know what day we are.

78 - 新入部員獲得作戦会議

Start date: December 24th

0 voters

1 Like

Ah, we have a name for the new character!

Anyway, the chapter spends the first half at school (though while looking places up on Google I happened to notice it’s now labelled as “Old Building Shimobe ES & JHS (Motosu HS)” instead of just “Motosu High School” as it was before, so I dunno if it’s changed hands or closed down (or if it became Motosu High School by changing hands previously) or what.

Moving on, in the second half, we get some new locations. I’m not gonna try to pinpoint Mei’s house without more clues (and experience in this manga suggests that the location is quite possibly an empty site in real life) but the bottom of page 71 is here. Possibly. Or some other LED sign thing. The top of 72 looks to be about here

Not too sure where Aoi is at the bottom of page 72 (here perhaps, though her head is perfectly blocking the tunnel entrance if so) and on page 73, but on page 74 she spots Mei standing by the side of the road here (a little bit further along the road than before).

And then they’re back at school.

Page 61, how on earth did they wind up having to re-do the posters for all of the other clubs?

Page 70, wasn’t Hanpen the illusory dog from the Mizugaki arc?

Page 72, what exactly is ナマプラ an abbrevation for? Google’s not really coming up with anything definitive.

1 Like

My best guess is that all negotiations end up like the one with the Biking club, where the other party says: “そっちでポスター書き直してくれるならいいよ!!”. Basically no one wants to redo their work just for the benefit of 野外活動サークル.

I also tried looking this up with no luck. Maybe a slight name variation on some popular japanese TV show… ?

2 Likes

Ah! I worked it out. With a little nudging from Google’s “did you mean…”.

Because Amazon is Namazo in this universe (or something similar? Can’t find the panel in which it appears), it’s ナマゾ・プライム.

3 Likes

It was supposed to be based on a Youtube dog, wasn’t it? I wonder if that dog is based on the Youtube “star” too, or if it happens to be the real deal.

Thanks for figuring out the ナマプラ thing!

2 Likes

Happy new year and merry camping!

79 - 思い立ったが吉日

Start date: December 31st

0 voters

3 Likes

The newbies start the chapter at Michi-no-Eki Fujikawa (which is adjacent to the Masuho interchange, so I guess that’s where the name for it in the manga comes from). The first panel specifically is drawn standing a few metres to the east of here (if you turn the camera around, you can see the line of bollards that’s in the foreground of the panel). Here is the website of the bicycle rental company that’s located there. Looks like the last rental time is 3pm, though, so they wouldn’t have been able to just drop by after school in the real world.

The bear featured on the title page is a tanuki in real life (and he’s not shouldering a bicycle, though he is named チャリたぬ). Room with bikes. Shimarin dango.

Wait, the title of this chapter literally just came up in another thread. How very Baader-Meinhof…

On page 85, it looks like they do the test ride in Fujikawa Water Park, which is adjacent. Picnic bench (note you can see the Michi-no-Eki peeking over the hill in both this photo and the manga on page 86).

Then we’re back at school on page 88, back here 94, at Mei’s house on 95 (eventually I’ll get enough clues to locate it. Maybe it’s within walking distance of the Michi-no-Eki? Though I feel like she wouldn’t be riding the bike to school if it were) and then back at school again on 97, where they remain.

Page 87, I rather suspect someone is in the wrong gear. When did this manga become ゆるサイクル, though?

Page 93, you can see their firewood collection from a few volumes ago in the background of the second-to-last panel. Nice callback, there.

Page 99, Did they get Toba-sensei’s approval for this pizza party at any point? And the interactions between the new pair and the main characters continue to increase…

Page 104, Rin getting weirdly cartoonish again. Surely there are more manga-ish ways to have Rin express shock than having her eyes bug out of her head. Are we gonna see what shocked Ema so much, though?

4 Likes

Amazing! 思い立ったが吉日 is everywhere!

3 Likes

I guess I’m just going to be consistently late.

80 - 新入部員さんいらっしゃい

Start date: January 7th

0 voters

2 Likes

No new locations this week. It’s all either the school or the Caribou.

That said, on page 126, we finally learn Mei’s family name, and as with the others, it comes from a city in Chubu: Nakatsugawa. If you’re planning to do the Magome-Tsumago Nakasendo walk, Nakatsugawa Station is most likely where you’ll get off the train. And on page 130, we learn Ema’s: Mizunami. (Interestingly, Nakatsugawa-shi and Mizunami-shi perfectly bracket Ena-shi.

While we’re at it: Seki. (Whew, that thing’s definitely been a victim of gerrymandering. Look at that shape! It’s almost worse that Ogaki-shi’s three separated areas.)

Page 108, it’s deja vu all over again. (In fact, I’m pretty sure the 道の駅到着~ bubble is an exact copy of the one on page 81, if not the whole panel.)

Page 116, oh nooooo. Well, maybe it’s for the best. If all those students joined the club, it wouldn’t be ゆる any more. Though I kinda want to see them all packing into that tiny club room at least once…

Page 117, I love how Aoi’s suddenly coming across as a bike expert, when she only just got her own road bike like last week.

Page 121, haha, chair option number 2 is a Helinox ground chair, which is the one I own (and which Rin owns in the drama version).

But yeah, Rin’s chair in the manga (and option number 1 on the previous page) is an Alite Mayfly, and (as the attendant says here) they went out of business about four years ago. Though apparently Grand Trunk acquired their designs in 2021… and here it is. Sans the distictive butterfly logo.

I’ma leave this here…

Page 123, Google’s not coughing up any real-world chair models that resemble this one, but that’s probably because I haven’t figured out the right search terms for it. It looks heavy, though. I feel like it’s also too deep a chair to easily use for doing things like cooking over a camp stove while you’re sitting in it.

3 Likes

With that many students, they would be upgraded to a proper club, so they would have a full classroom.

1 Like

They won’t be upgraded until they sign them up, and before they can sign them up, they gotta pack 'em in the room. Borrow one of those pusher people from a train station.

3 Likes

:wave: Just a gentle reminder

1 Like

*Groan* it’s like time just disappears.

1 Like

At least, I am up to date with the reading
Well, if I’m being completely honest, I finished the current book a few weeks ago already… I wonder when is the next one coming out, especially since this is the last story part. Are they going to get a proper room?

81 - 野クルのサイクリング✖︎キャンプ計画

Start date: January 14th :joy:

0 voters

3 Likes