ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 7 Discussion 🧹

Just finished the chapter. New character, yay! I have no doubts that haven’t been answered already here so all good. Overall enjoyed the volume and I’m looking forward to reading the second one (already ordered it :grin:).

Well, this game is literally called dirty a** in spanish soo… :rofl:

4 Likes
p152

んじゃ まことやってみこれならこれなら簡単でしょ?

I don’t get why it’s やってみ ?

I’m done yay!

1 Like

I feel like this is two sentences.

まことやってみな(い) = Why don’t you give it a try, Makoto?

これなら簡単でしょ = This is pretty easy, right?

4 Likes

Aaaa, I keep forgetting all the negations except the standard ない one. Thanks.

1 Like

Ah, it’s not a negation, it’s a soft imperative.

~~nihongonote.com
Edit: I hadn’t checked the page, and it’s talking about the negative imperative. See my post below for the right one.

2 Likes

That’s みるな, and it’s a negative imperative.

Nope.
見な → have a look
見るな → don’t look
食べな → eat
食べるな → don’t eat
Etc.
Both structures are made with な, but you can differentiate them by the form of the verb :wink:
Root form → imperative (命令)
Dictionary form → negative imperative (禁止)

Edit: ah, but I see my link is about the wrong one. Let me try to find another one.

Edit2: I’m running out of time, but here’s one blog post that talks about it:

(The author says she hates it and corrects her husband/kid whenever they use it :rofl:)

8 Likes

I keep forgetting about the soft imperative.*

lul

I bet she tells them

やるな!or やめるな!

3 Likes

Well I feel silly asking this but meh… whatever… maybe it’s something I should know… but it’s confusing me …

Page 146 / p146

んじゃ
ゆっくり
してってな

All I can get is well then do it slowly…this must be an idiom or something to make sense…? But couldn’t find any reference info for this one.

I think this is する in its connective て form (して), followed by いる いく in its connective て form (いって). Japanese seem to like leaving sentences unfinished, thus rather than attaching something after that て, Kei just gives an ending な and he’s out.

ゆっくりする is the verb form of ゆっくり, so I get: “Well, take your time…”

I think that て at the end gives kind of a sense of “Well, take your time (and do whatever)…”, but I could be wrong.

5 Likes

(Yeah, but, the ~て form of いる is いて. I haven’t got the book on me to check myself…)

4 Likes

(That’s because it’s the て form of いく with the い dropped)

@shuly it is an idiom (or a least a very common sentence). There’s also a vocalolid song called ゆっくりしていってね.
Edit: wow, that song is based on a meme from 2ch, it goes deep.

9 Likes

Ah, I knew I had いて and いって mixed up. I shouldn’t be trying to understand て when I’m falling asleep.

2 Likes

Well, that was interesting to listen to. :smiley:

I should really get around to reading this chapter… I’ve only read like 1000 pages of English books this week instead. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I’m grateful that there is a week between this and the next…this week has been crazy busy and I’m behind!

1 Like

You can’t leave it one chapter unfinished!

3 Likes

So, the envelope which goes into the fire with Chinatsu’s hair in it has writing on it.
I had a very confusing moment when I realised I could read it but it wasn’t katakana! :laughing:
It is actually Hebrew, and it says צפור which means bird. :bird:

Sadly the effect is somewhat ruined by the fact that it shows お姉さん writing the first letter of the word (the rightmost one) last :joy:

15 Likes

Aw, I meant to bring that up. Nice research there.

I confess I’m a little perplexed by how magic works in this manga. They seem to perform complex spells with only basic non-specific incantations. In a later chapter, Makoto (under her sister’s instruction) enchants snacks to make the eater laugh or cry uncontrollably with nothing more than a basic pentagram, geographic placing, and a basic enchantment of “please imbue these snacks with power”. You can’t even say Makoto’s intent was important, because her sister refused to say what the spell would do until after she’d done it.

That said, Makoto is definitely a headology-style witch. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I don’t think it does :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes