ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 4 Discussion 🧹

するべ. He omits る sounds in many cases (cf the first or second thread). べ is a sentence ending, pretty much like よ, that is used in the North of Japan, especially in the countryside.

8 Likes

I know this was going to be something really simple like this… haha thank you so much!

1 Like

probably the last one for the day…but made it to page 77 :partying_face:

Page77 p77

Keikun says:
後がもたないぞ

後が = later (treating it as 後で)
もたない = verb is 持つ / to have (negative don’t have)
ぞー = sentence ending more emphasis

BL manga has it as “we have more work later” but with the negative from of the verb and lacking “work” sort of slightly confused. I know in the first bubble he’s telling her to take a break and the English is correct but…

Having trouble getting from “later” and “don’t have” to we have more work later…so clearly somethings wrong :thinking:

2 Likes

From the が you can infer that the thing before it must be a noun. “later” unfortunately is not a noun :slight_smile: I’d rather go for “remainder” or “rest” here.

This verb has many meanings, the most common of which is “to hold”, but here I would rather translate it as “to keep”, I guess.

So that gives me a literal: “We don’t keep the rest” from which one can probably kinda infer the English translation you gave.

2 Likes

Sorry…but still sort of confused…I think I’m not understanding some grammar…

I know we negate things when we say “wouldn’t you like to go to a movie” or whatever…but why is this negated?

1 Like

Because the meaning is negative: “do not keep” - 持つ = to keep; 持たない = do not keep

We don’t keep the rest = We will get rid of the rest; in this case by working on it. Therefore, we will have more work later.

1 Like

Think the issue may be that you’ve disconnected this from its context.

そろそろ休憩しろよ。後がもたないぞー = You should have a break. We won’t have any after.

Meaning, have a rest before break time is over. (Perhaps. Vertical has gone with “You should take a break. Save some energy for later”, but unless there’s a noun being implied in the second sentence that’s frequently implied by that construction, I feel like Vertical is taking some liberties.)

8 Likes

That still isn’t what I’m missing…I get the point of what’s being said what I’m not understanding is the “won’t”… if it’s won’t then I’m thinking a potential verb form but that’s not used…

literally the verb is “don’t have/don’t hold” … so how do you get from don’t to potential form “won’t”

arg I feel lame haha oh well…

1 Like

Won’t (will not) is negative form (no potential form included).
Can’t (can not) is negative potential form.

4 Likes

Here’s the line of thinking that helped me:

後が <= The が marks this noun as the subject doing the action of the verb
もつ <= The verb is “to have”, but it’s a negative (もたない), so “to not have”.

“Later to not have.”

What will later not have?

As @Belthazar mentioned, the prior sentence mentioned taking a “break” soon.

Later will not have a break.

There will be no breaks later.

(I think.)

“You should take a break soon. There won’t be any later.”

(I use “won’t” here because it sounds odd in English otherwise, as we’re talking about “later”.)

@shuly, I probably put half an hour to reach a point where I feel confident with my understanding of this line, so you’re not the only one struggling on it :wink:

5 Likes

Specifically, “won’t” is future tense negative, while “don’t” is present tense negative.

Japanese only has the one non-past tense which covers both future and present, but the use of 後 implies the future tense.

Honestly, I’m certainly not saying that this is for sure what it means, but my gut says that’s the intent, and that works for me.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot you have to specify that difference in English.

5 Likes

@ChristopherFritz Thank you so much! This is what I was struggling with …
My engineering brain …how to get from point A to point B!

Can you tell I’m a native speaker of English? I already had to relearn a bunch of grammar from elementary school because … like I remember this stuff from grade school… that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth. :grin:

7 Likes

Are there any loose rules for the vocab sheet? There were a lot of words added with ??? as translation and words that have all the possible definitions pasted over from jisho, thus making the vocab sheet really confusing and bloated right now.

1 Like

The first sheet should list all the rules. People shouldn’t be adding words if they aren’t pretty confident in the meaning used in context. Mistakes will happen of course, but adding ??? or meanings when you’re not that sure is counterproductive in my opinion.

3 Likes

Is なした like a slurred nani? Bottom of p63.

1 Like

From the Wikipedia article @Naphthalene posted, I believe it is actually どうした?

なんした(なんしたば) →「どうした?」

3 Likes

津軽弁の勉強もしなきゃです
“I also (unfortunately) don’t know Tsugaru dialect”?
“I have to study Tsugaru dialect”?

1 Like

This sentence is using the simplified version of なければならない, that means “must do”, so your second sentence fits better. Since it has a も, I’d go for “I must also study the Tsugaru dialect”

6 Likes

耕してこう (tagaya-shite-kou)
What is this こう here? A dialect version of よう?

1 Like