ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 2 Discussion 🧹

Thanks for including BunPro link! I like it when I can check whether I can correctly apply what I’ve learned on BunPro in the wild (such as in reading like this).

1 Like

Not at all, I was wondering about the English-language term (for English learners of Japanese). Seeing all these different terms, including the one you shared, made me wonder about the Japanese term.

3 Likes

I’m tired again and should sleep, but this is the right thread this time :wink:

Trying to understand how this is used:

Page 32

うわさをすればだ
I interpret this as if the rumors are true…

But breaking it down with grammar and all…I feel like I’m missing something (probably because I should have stopped reading at 10 and gone to sleep) :sleeping:

うわさ = rumor
を = object marker for the expression (which seems strange when it’s not a verb but maybe not?)
すれば = (I guessing this is) “If so…” or “In the case that…”
だ= is

Am I understanding this correctly?

2 Likes
Page 32

I can’t help you with breaking it down to grammar, but I found this

噂をすれば影がさす - ウィクショナリー日本語版

And this

例文・フレーズ [噂] おっと、噂をすれば、だ!|NHK語学講座で学ぶ!ゴガクル英語

In the English version it means: SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!

5 Likes

Thanks! So it’s no crazy concept at all. Like @shuly mentioned, it’s probably the Japanese word order that can make it so confusing. Also I just realized I have the grammar point in the SRS on BunPro for a while now. I just never read anything about it that was as thorough as your post (or the links posted). Much appreciated. =)

Thanks for this! Because of this I was able to find it in Jisho! woo hoo
It’s a proverb… anyway…this is what Jisho says if anyone is curious…

Appears the book is just using a shortened version of the whole thing…

surprised no one asked this before… I guess sometimes my silly questions still turn out to be useful :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So me being the curious one… I know the cat died…went looking into this a little more…

Having the whole phrase with kanji made it possible to decode this thing! would have been possible with out your help @Oshin

It really isn’t a spoiler but I’ll hide this just in case

Page 32

噂をすれば影がさす = “Speak of the Devil” or “Speak Rumors of someone and they shall appear”

I haven’t heard speak of the devil in years…not since my grandma passed away many years ago…but it’s a good way to say this for sure…Anyway, how this breaks down for those that are curious…

噂 (うわさ)= rumor
を = direct object particle
すれば = from verb 為る (する) = “to do”/ “to carry out” in the provisional form (eba) = if you do/carry out
影 = かげ = figure, silhouette, shape
が = particle
さす = verb = to make someone do

Literally
rumor / if you do / figure / make someone appear
hence “Speak rumors of someone and they shall appear!”

Neato eh???!!!
:wink:

Not quite :sweat_smile: You got the meaning though, but
為る is also read as なる. It’s more confusing to use the kanji here.
さす is 差す, “to illuminate” says WK, but it’s more “to project”. So, the shadow is projected (it’s a bit weird to not use the passive for that in English)
https://kotobank.jp/word/影が差す-228343

2 Likes

I swear, というか must have shown up at least five or six times in just the first half of volume 3 of やがて君になる. This phrase seems so common in everyday speech, I don’t really see how it could reasonably be considered N1.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was using this definition for the verb (based on the ichi.moe parse)

In any case it makes sense :slight_smile: I haven’t hit this kanji yet on wk…still slowly working toward death…ugh…dreading what’s ahead…

reading more should help!

1 Like

It definitely will! As you read more, “new” kanji you learn on WK won’t be so new anymore. Having previous experience will make it much easier to remember them and distinguish between similar/abstract concepts. I think you are on the right track.

2 Likes

… then why do I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is attached to a freight train at 90 mph :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s the effect of having knowledge forced into your brain :crazy_face:

6 Likes

This is clearly not the home thread. </faking confusion and prending not to remember that half the thread was moved from elsewhere>

The full saying is “curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back”.

Uh. No other comments.

Love Chinatsu’s face on page 29. “Nope. Not even gonna process this development.”

8 Likes