That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Lol 千夏ちゃん on page 69 is me every time I try that :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl: Same here…

2 Likes

Had to look up しゃっこい. For anyone wondering on it who didn’t investigate:

「しゃっこい」=冷たい (例:この水しゃっこい)

The page goes on to say that it doesn’t refer to a cold temperature, but rather to describe something solid or liquid, such as snow or water. An example of when it’s used is in early spring, when river water is colder than expected.

5 Likes

Schadenfreude time when it was clear that smug Akane was tricked and wasted her money on that fishing rod :eyes: I was anticipating it from the start, haha. No offense though, she isn’t anwhere near as bad now as she seemed to be when she had her first appearances.

6 Likes

Chapter 28: 一口物に喉が鳴く

2020-07-17T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later (or soon)
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

4 Likes

I’ve done a quick read-through of chapter 26 just now and holy moly, it was painful. I still don’t understand much without look-ups and it seems like it’s gonna be painful to decipher in the next two days when I take it slowly and with look-ups.

1 Like

Chapter 26 definitely has its share of dialogue-heavy pages.

I expect the letter on pages 36 and 37 won’t be much of an issue for you, but here’s a transcript just in case it may be of use:

Letter Transcript

Page 36

まこと
元気にしてる?
まぁこないだ
会ったばかりだから
元気か(笑)
わたしはこの手紙を
書く前に時間が
空いたので
近くにあった宝くじを
買いました
コインで削るやつね
そしたらなんと
三千円が当たりました
なので少しテンションが
高いです(笑)

Page 37

まぁそれはさておき
本題ね

協会の方にまことの
地域での依頼があったので
送っときます

はじめの仕事だよね
いい経験になると
思いから
受けてみるといいよ

いっしょに依頼契約書を
入れておきます
んじャそうゆうことでー

1 Like

Nobody asked for this, but I felt someone had to do it. Translation corrections are most welcome.

Pages 96 and 97

そっくり発症条件2053
く家編>

Number Text Translation
1 玄関で7回まわり5回飛び上がる At the entryway, spin 7 times and jump 5 times.
2 玄関で戸を10秒間に15回開け閉めする At the entryway, open and close the door 15 times in 10 seconds.
3 玄関で靴を4足積み重ね外へなげる At the entryway, toss outside a stack of 4 pairs of shoes.
4 玄関で靴べらで天井をつつく At the entryway, poke the ceiling with a shoehorn.
5 玄関で外から人ってきた鳥を左肩にのせる At the entryway, place on your left shoulder a bird that came in from outside.
6 玄関でダンゴ虫を8匹はなす At the entryway, release 8 pill-bugs.
7 玄関で買ったばかりのコップを割る At the entryway, break a cup you just bought.
8 居間に温めた海水をまく In the living room, scatter warmed seawater.
9 居間にある時計を34分間見つめる In the living room, stare at the clock for 34 minutes.
10 居間で鳥の羽を頭の上にのせてねる In the living room, place a feather on your head and lie down.
11 居間で招き猫を落とし足にあてる In the living room, drop a beckoning cat figure onto your foot.
12 居間で水を1時間28分 口に含み続ける In the living room, hold water in your mouth for 1 hour and 28 minutes.
13 居間に象の写真を飾り3分後に外す In the living room, hang a photograph of an elephant for 3 minutes, and then take it down.
14 居間で57歳6か月の女性とひなあられを食べる In the living room, eat sweetened rice-flour cakes with a 57-year-6-month-old woman.
15 居間で34歳7か月の男性とひなあられを食べる In the living room, eat sweetened rice-flour cakes with a 34-year-7-month-old man.
16 居間で車のエンジンを解体して組み立てる In the living room, disassemble and reassemble a car engine.
17 居間で友人と5時間30分12秒電話して切る In the living room, call your friend on the phone for 5 hours, 30 minutes, and 12 seconds, then hang up.
18 居間の中心に辞書を10冊積み上げる In the living room, stack 10 dictionaries in the center of the room.
19 居間で酢の瓶の周りを時計回りに5回まわる In the living room, go around a vinegar bottle clockwise 5 times.
20 居間で古着をふくらはぎに巻きつける In the living room, wrap old clothes around the calves of your legs.
21 居間でラジオのノイズを流しそのまま寝る In the living room, fall right to sleep to noise from the radio.
22 居間でトマトを絞り 絞り汁で絵を描く In the living room, squeeze juice from a tomato, and paint with the juice.
23 風呂場で鰻を5匹浴槽に放す In the bathroom, release five eels into the bathtub.
24 風呂場から雲を3時間26分間見つめる From the bathroom, gaze at clouds for 3 hours and 26 minutes.
25 風呂場で石鹸を一日で使い切る In the bathroom, use up all the soap in one day.
26 浴槽に冷水を張りお気に入りの服を着たまま入る Fill a bathtub with cold water, and get in wearing your favorite clothes.
27 風呂場でラジコンで遊ぶ In the bathroom, play with radio-control cars.
28 風呂場でスイカを拳で割る In the bathroom, split a watermelon with your fist.
29 風呂場で唐辛子を5本食べる In the bathroom, eat 5 chili peppers.
30 風呂場におがくずを敷きつめる In the bathroom, spread out sawdust.
31 風呂場で文房具を洗う In the bathroom, wash stationery.
32 風呂場で紫陽花の花びらを手の甲にのせる In the bathroom, place hydrangea petals on the back of your hand.
33 風呂場の隅に杉の木炭を置く In the corner of the bathroom, place cedar charcoal.
34 風呂場で酒蒸ししたあさりを食べる In the bathroom, eat steamed clams.
35 台所で巻き寿司を一日で184本作る In the kitchen, make 184 sushi rolls in one day.
36 台所に鯛を置き野良猫に持っていかれる In the kitchen, leave a sea bream, and have it be taken by a stray cat.
37 台所で紫のハンカチでみかんを包む In the kitchen, wrap a mandarin in a purple handkerchief.
38 台所の窓のガラスに日焼け止めを塗る Onto the kitchen window’s glass, apply sunscreen.
39 台所で深呼吸を15回する In the kitchen, take 15 deep breaths.
40 台所で豚肉を5.3kg焦がす In the kitchen, burn 5.3 kg (11.7 lb) of pork.
41 台所でルビーの指輪を排水口に流す In the kitchen, wash a ruby ring down the drain.
42 台所に臼を置き臼の周りを反時計回りに6回まわる In the kitchen, place a mortar, and go around the mortar counter-clockwise 6 times.
43 台所で包丁を両手に持ちまいたけをみじん切りする In the kitchen, hold a knife in both hands and finely chop a hen-of-the-woods mushroom.
44 台所ですり鉢を頭にかぶり3回まわる In the kitchen, place a mortar on your head, and spin 3 times.

P.S. I have lost all faith in magic.

10 Likes

Here’s the fan translation, in case you were wondering:

3 Likes

That was, indeed, very helpful. Thanks! Also, I’ve noticed one mistake, 経驗 instead of 経験。Might be useful for people reading this after myself!

Edit: Found another: 人 instead of 入、in second to last line.

Edit 2: Finished the first half of ch26 with look-ups. That’s enough for today. Wasn’t that bad.

2 Likes

Thanks for catching those. I OCR’d the page, and glanced at the result and page to fix any issues, and I completely missed those two. (I’d already read the page previously, so I was just glancing character shapes.) I’ve updated my prior post.

1 Like

I want to see more of that space battle

5 Likes

ch26, p40 – 汚し汚れて; context:

I think I saw this construction before, but I forgot what it means. Halp?

I took this literally, as being the combination of the transitive and intransitive verb, i.e. to make things dirty and to be dirty, that’s typical for children or something.
If there is more to it, I would also like to know more!

3 Likes

My plan was to read only volume 2 in July, but once I started reading I could’t stop! All caught up now. Looking forward to participating in this book club too!

9 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing! I really love the list :slight_smile:

Your translations 1-18 look good to me, just for 19 I think I disagree. Because of 周り, I rather think of it as walk around a bottle of vinegar in clockwise direction 5 times.
(But I‘m not 100% sure).

Will look at the rest (from 20) tomorrow.

2 Likes

Your version looks more accurate than what I had. Since the verb walk isn’t specifically in it, I’ve updated it to In the living room, go around a vinegar bottle clockwise 5 times. Sounds a bit awkward how I’ve worded it, so feel free to imagine “walk” in there =D

1 Like

Chapter 29: 飛ぶ水たまり

2020-07-24T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later (or soon)
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

4 Likes
The comics I'm reading are overlapping.

i_0107x

i-066x

5 Likes