にゃんにゃん Reading Group - Finished!

Thank you everyone. Enjoyed reading with you guys and reading all the questions and answers that were posted.

Thnak you for starting the group, I was more on the silent side with the reading but greatly appreciated the comments. Learned alot

Hey everyone :smiley:

As you are finished with the book I assume it is okay to ask questions related to the beginning of the book?

I started to read it and your comments are a great help so far! Sometimes it is a real struggle to read the book and without your explanations I would be completely lost. :sweat_smile:

table of contents
There is this sign that explains that the book contains three stories. Do I understand it correctly that the solution is separated from the cases? So that we read the case (story) and after that comes the solution?

appearing people
Capone - likes to make sounds (meow ^^) and take naps
あいそがなくてひるねがすき。
Correct?

p. 10
ポワロ - what book title is this? Holmes was funny, but I don`t know what this could be?

本 - is this the counter for long cylindrical things? Potatoes are counted :wink:

I have finished page 12 today and although it is a struggle for me, it is much fun discovering the story! :smiley:

ポワロ is Poirot (i.e. Hercule Poirot), a fictional detective.

I’m reading that as “He’s not very friendly and likes to take naps” - 愛想.

@Belthazar Thanks! I wasn’t sure about the choices jisho gave me :sweat_smile: Makes much more sense.

@Naphthalene thank you!

In case someone is interested in a breakdown:

愛想 friendliness
が ga-particle
なくて te-form of ない (“does not have”)
ひるね nap
が ga-particle
すき to like (with null-copula, i.e. “dropped だ”)

lit. “he does not have friendliness and he likes naps”

Yes. See the drawing on the left page. Ishiyaki-imo are pretty cylindrical:

Thanks a lot!
Why didn’t I think about looking at a picture? Nice one :grin:

I want to join in on the thanks as well =^_^=
I’ve been reading along side, and without the comments/replies I would have been very lost!
Due to my grammar level being very low (working on it though, just started Genki) I haven’t contributed. My questions would be everything (as in, please explain every sentence for me =P ) and I can’t really answer anything. But just pushing through I get a good gist of things, and by reading the comments here I get a better understanding and start picking up some grammar points =)
The farther I get in my grammar studies, the more I can contribute myself, but I’ll probably be a passive listener rather than active partaker until I’ve gotten better =)
But I do read every comment and learn a lot from it, so a big thanks to everyone!

I bough the full set (both cat and dog sets :wink: ) so hope we’ll continue with the next! =D
I will go back and re-read this one a few times too, see how much more I can catch now that I know the story.

So a BIG thanks to everyone, looking forward to the next one! =D

Hello again :hugs:

I have more questions :wink:

p. 15
上野の上野さんていったら… 。
What does ていったら mean? I couldn’t find anything about it. :thinking:

p. 27
あたしを うたがっているの?

あたし = me
うた = song
がって = te-form of がる - to feel, to think, to want
I have no idea? Something along “Do you want me to sing a song?” <- That came to my mind after I tried google translate ^^’

ペラペラペラ - what is this?
I only found ペラペラ - fluently (speaking a foreign language)

と、すごい早口で おこりだしたので、そうそうに たいさんした。

と - as in “door” ??
すごい - amazing
早口 - fast talking
おこり - from おこる - to occur ?
だした - ta-form (past) of だ ?
ので - given that …; because of …
そうそう - immediately after
たいさん - running away
した - ta-form (past) of する - to do
The amazing fast-talking lady was running to the the door immediatly after singing???

Your help is much appreciated :blush:

たら is if/when but come to think of it I don’t really understand how to parse this sentence either…
Probably “When he said he’s Ueno-san from Ueno…” Wikipedia says that the quotation particle って is often contracted to て after ん sound, which is the case here.

Maybe “Are you suspecting me?” (疑う = to suspect)

I think here it means “blah-blah-blah…”

Then I got mad because of her extremely rapid way of talking and quickly run away.
怒り出す = to get angry, to lose one’s temper

Page 15

The most important thing here is the 。。。.
The question is unfinished.

“when you say Ueno-san of Ueno, 。。。?”
“When you say Ueno-san of Ueno, do you mean that…?”

And so the detective thought process begins!

At least that is how I read it. Back in the main thread, @guillepolito has this:

上野の上野さん - Ueno san’s from Ueno
て - quotation mark
いったら - This looks like いう, to say, in conditional if…

My guess:

If I did hear " Ueno san’s from Ueno"…
It looks like she’s realizing that this is the same name of the story she was reading before?

Page 27

I might be wrong, but these are the notes I have written down in my copy of the book on that page:

おこりだした
怒る - おこる - to get angry
~だす - start to~
怒りだす - start to get angry
怒りだした - started to get angry
怒り出した - started to get angry

See also the first sentence on page 36:
馬来さんは、まっかな顔で おこりだした

Thank you all very much! :smiley:

When a translation makes no sense you should try and go back and see what assumptions you made :slight_smile:
You broke up うたがって but it’s actually from the verb 疑う (うたがう) “to doubt/suspect”.
“Are you suspecting me?”

おこり to get mad/to be irritated (masu stem)
だした -> 出す since it’s used as an auxiliary you should try and look for an auxiliary entry in the dictionary. Jisho says “to begin to” and notes “after masu stem”
“Then, since I was starting to get irritated by her terribly fast talking, I immediately ran away”

I still have 12 pages to go (first story), but I just wanted to share my happiness about being able to read the pages without much difficulty since the solution part of the story began :grin:
This is so much more fun! I don’t have to look up every second word to understand what’s going on. And I really enjoy the story :wink:

I’m so excited at the moment that I had to share, please bear with me :hugs:

And thanks again for all the great help in this thread! :two_hearts:

Phew, it’s getting very difficult again ^^’
Thanks to all your help for page 44 I was able to understand this long and complicated sentence. But I’m not sure about the last one on that page…

p. 44
あたしは こころをきめて、こう、いった。

あたし - I
こころをきめて - to set one’s heart on
こう - that could be anything??
いった - which word does that come from?

p. 45
あたしは ほんとのことを しりたかっただけ なんです。

あたし - I
ほんとのこと - the real thing
しりた - is it the past form of 知る - to know?
かっただけ - ??
なん - is it 難 - difficulty, accident, fault?

あたしは 馬くさんの家を あとにした。

あたし - I
馬くさんの家 - Umaku-san’s house
あとにした - ??

Someone help me please! :sweat_smile:

I still don’t get the whole sentence right.

p. 47
きのうは 警察に つきだされるかと思って どきどきしたけど、うまく妻が 機転をきかせて 病人のふりをしたら、だまされてくれて ありがとう。

きのう - yesterday
警察 - police
つきだされる - to be handed over
かと - ?
思って - to think; to consider; to expect
どきどき - to beat fast (heart); to throb; to pound
した - did
けど - but
うまく妻 - Umaku’s wife (“my” wife ?)
機転 - cleverness
きかせて - to use; to display
病人のふり - the pretense of a sick person
したら - from する, what is the ら doing here?
だまされて - to trick; to cheat; to deceive
くれて - to do for someone
ありがとう - thanks

I don’t get this into a sensible english sentence :thinking:

Aaaaand a last post for today :wink:

p. 49 (almost finished - yay!)
それにしても、この ふてくされた顔の ねこの めんどうみなきゃ いけないわけ?

それにしても - nevertheless; all things considered
この - this
ふてくされた顔 のねこの- sulky face of the cat
めんどう - trouble; bother
みなきゃ - does it come from みる - to look?
いけない - not good; of no use; wrong
わけ - reason; cause; meaning

She’s not bothered by the sulky face of Capone?

I’ll try to help you out as much as I can with your questions but don’t take my answers too seriously as I am learning myself.

p. 44
あたしは こころをきめて、こう、いった。

あたし – I
こころをきめて - to set one’s heart on/ to make up one’s mind
こう - that could be anything?? 斯う= in this way, thus
いった - which word does that come from? Past tense of 言う.

I made up my mind and said thus/in this way. 「あたしは…」

p. 45
あたしは ほんとのことを しりたかっただけ なんです。

あたし - I
ほんとのこと - the real thing/ the truth
しりたかった - is it the past form of 知る - to know? It’s the past tense of 知りたい meaning “want to know” and conjugates like an い-adjective.

だけ - ?? only
なん - is it 難 - difficulty, accident, fault? Explanatory particleん. You can read more about it here.

I only wanted to know the truth.

あたしは 馬くさんの家を あとにした。

あたし - I
馬くさんの家 - Umaku-san’s house
あとにした - ?? past tense of あとにする= to leave behind

I left (behind) Umakusan’s house.

p. 47
きのうは 警察に つきだされるかと思って どきどきしたけど、うまく妻が 機転をきかせて 病人のふりをしたら、だまされてくれて ありがとう。

きのう - yesterday
警察に – to the police
つきだされるか – here か acts as a question marker so there’s a question within the sentence. “shall I be handed over?” or more loosely translated “shall I turn myself in?”
と 思って- - to think; to consider; to expect
どきどき - to beat fast (heart); to throb; to pound. This onomatopoeia word is often associated with romance like feeling one’s heart beat/throb when in love but in this context I think it means feeling your heart pound from fear or nervousness like when watching a scary movie.
した - did
けど - but
うまく妻 - Umaku’s wife (“my” wife ?)
機転 - cleverness
きかせて - to use; to display
病人のふり - the pretense of a sick person
したら - from する, what is the ら doing here? Here ら turns the verb した into a conditional meaning “if” or “when”. In this context, I think the conditional can translated as “when”.

だまされて - to trick; to cheat; to deceive
くれて - to do for someone
ありがとう – thank you

だまされてくれてありがとう- literally, “thank you for doing me the favor of being tricked/deceived”. Now how this fits in with the rest of the sentence, I’m not sure. Maybe someone else could help out with this part.

Yesterday, I considered whether to turn myself in to the police and I got nervous/fearful but (my wife used her cleverness and when she pretended to be a sick person), (?)

p. 49 (almost finished - yay!)
それにしても、この ふてくされた顔の ねこの めんどうみなきゃ いけないわけ?

それにしても - nevertheless; all things considered
この - this
ふてくされた顔 のねこの- sulky face of the cat
めんどう - trouble; bother
みなきゃいけない - does it come from みる - to look? Yes

When combined, it’s めんどうをみる (面倒を見る) = to care for someone; to look after someone.

~なきゃいけない means “must” or “have to”. Tae Kim explains here.

わけ - reason; cause; meaning. As I understand, わけ at the end of a sentence can mean “acceptance of a fact in light of a certain set of circumstances”(kanzen master). The circumstances in this case being Umakusan and his wife skipping town and leaving their cat with Hanae.

Nevertheless, do I have to take care of this sulky face cat?

Hope this helps and like I said before, don’t take my answers too seriously. Good luck with the rest of your reading.