🐱 にゃんにゃん探偵団 🕵️‍♀ Kitty Detectives 2 Home Thread!

Thank you! And I couldn’t agree more. Though, it’s not always just a matter of motivation. Sometimes life just gets in the way and complicates plans. I do intend to work it out, though, and I appreciate your input. Maybe I’ll see you in a future book club thread. :blush:

3 Likes

Were you reading Yotsuba with a book club? Perhaps a club’s schedule would provide the routine you need :thinking:

2 Likes

I started out that way, yeah.

But I’m also just getting back into studying in general. I had stepped away from studying Japanese for a few months to focus on other priorities in my life and have been working Japanese back in for the past couple weeks. I’m doing really well now but I don’t want to add too much at once.

4 Likes

Ah, fair enough.

Also yeah, definitely don’t want to go overboard all at once.

3 Likes

This looks interesting and a bit intimidating, but I guess it’s due to the different format. I think I might join. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why does it look intimidating? D:

I guess it’s the difference to a manga. Lots of text next to eachother and less pictures to provide context. At least that’s my impression from the first view pages the free preview gives access to. But I doubt it’ll be much harder.

1 Like

The pictures do help with some context (mostly the setting), but not as much as as manga, that is true. However, the art is also gorgeous in my opinion. :star_struck:

3 Likes

I am so happy to see this start up!! =D
I bought all 5! books back when we did the first one! The others are dog detective, but same series and just as beautiful! If this goes well we could always do them next! Possibly after a nice break.

3 Likes

I’d definitely be up for running those in future too if people enjoy this one :blush: sadly I think at least one of the dog ones technically comes ‘first’ in the series :sweat_smile: so to everyone worried about reading this before cat book 1, we’ve technically been out of order since the very beginning!

6 Likes

Just got back from my long holiday and very happy to see this!
I found two pages a day a bit tough, and would certainly do so now (my month away ended up being a month of no study and now I feel like I’ve slipped all the way down the snake to square one again!) but I’ll try my best!

6 Likes

I think I’d wanna join… Gotta find out where I could buy it first though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah, fair enough. Prose is definitely more intimidating. Funnily enough though, when I switched from reading a book back to reading a manga last month, I found I kind of had stylistic whiplash and really struggled with the manga for a bit :sweat_smile: books tend to give you nice complete sentences, and the change back to choppy dialogue was hard.

Most weeks are more in the ~11 range, but do people think I should adjust the schedule to be a bit slower? :thinking: we could perhaps at least spend 4 weeks on the first case, and see how we find it before deciding how long to spend on story three… I was worried we’d be spending too long on story one, but quite a few people have mentioned finding the pace a struggle.

3 Likes

If you go a bit slower still, I may even follow along / semi-participate (without making any sort of formal commitments that would make me feel bad if I can’t finish, of course :crazy_face:).

2 Likes

I don’t mind two pages a day. At least with book 1 I don’t have any troubles reading two or more pages a day. Because of the pictures there’s not too much text. But to attract more beginners, maybe we can start with one page a day and adjust the schedule later on if the majority wants to go faster?

Maybe it is enough to just shuffle in one more week during the first part of the first case. That would even out the first case to be about 7-9 pages per week, and my experience is that after reading that much of a book it always goes faster to read. And it seems to be the same for several people. And with the Christmas break in there, people have a chance to catch up.

2 Likes

I’m going to stop being a wuss - we don’t start for nearly 6 weeks, so if I start now and make notes of stuff I can’t figure out by myself, I should be able to keep up with the group. :grin:

7 Likes

Okay, I’m going to adjust the schedule a bit to follow more of a one-page-per-day pace for the first story (once I get home and can see where to put the story breaks). We’ll keep just a little increase so you end up reading 9 pages per week for the solution.

I want this to be as accessible as possible to beginners, so no point going too fast! I might add in a break week between stories 1 and 2 as well.

Then, while we’re in the midst of story 2 we can vote on whether we want to keep the pace down for story 3 as well. I agree with @MissDagger that everyone will naturally get quicker by that point (and it helps if you have to push yourself).

@Rowena :tada: hooray! Knew we’d wear you down eventually :wink:

7 Likes

I’m going to give this one a try. I think it’s a more appropriate challenge for my current level than 「霧のむこうのふしぎな町」. That said, I ordered 「にゃんにゃん探偵団おひるね―赤いとびらの家事件の巻」 from Amazon JP and the page currently says:

Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks.

3 Likes

It’s still nearly six weeks till we start, so you should be totally fine :slightly_smiling_face: glad to have you with us!

The schedule’s been updated to include an extra week for story one. Let’s see how we go with that :blush: is this going to be anybody’s first attempt at a book?

2 Likes