🐱 にゃんにゃん探偵団 🕵️‍♀ Kitty Detectives 2 Home Thread!

Hi Radish - so sorry I missed your ping, but I’ve been out of state for a while. Seems I have some catching up to do! At least this time I remembered to put WK on vacation mode before I lit out. :grimacing:

edit: first post-return review was not pretty

2 Likes

Not at all! Glad you’re back :blush:

2 Likes

Did we ever discuss Capone’s book ‘recommendations’ on page 68 besides @ChristopherFritz’s reference to Cool Biz? I thought they were great!

I don’t recall anyone else talking about either of the recommendation pages, but will take this opportunity to say if anyone’s skipped over them, give them a browse. His take on Three Little Pigs is great.

From now on, whenever I hear the expression “don’t judge a book by its cover”, I’ll immediately think of Capone.

2 Likes

To be honest, I’d skipped right over them! Will try to take a look tomorrow ^^

2 Likes

Part Two of the last case:

I’ve put it down as being from page 100 to page 108, but the last page is actually part of a double-page spread with a tiny bit of handwritten text on page 109, so feel free to look at that too :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I was also happy to see Kobutori Jiisan get a look in, although I’m not sure what “ポヨーン” is in Capone’s explanation. There is a cool animated version of this story available on Youtube (from 1929!) The second story on that page is another traditional folk tale - the Tongue Cut Sparrow. I feel the jokes land a little better if you know the original stories. :wink:

You’ll often find onomatopoeia in an adverb-like role, and it’s recognizable by the inclusion of the particle と. For example:

「ほっぺたが ポヨーンと 膨らんでいる」

This と is the quotation marker. His cheek is bulging with a “pyong” sound effect to describe it.

And with that, I now know why I’ve never had any success looking up how と turns certain words into an adverb, no matter how many times I’ve looked it up before. (And I’ve looked it up at least a few times in the past year.) This time I did a web search for “onomatopoeia” and “と” and came across this very informative post that covers it.

3 Likes

Final part of the last case!

Don’t forget to post your theories under a details tag :wink:

7 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m still stuck somewhere in the second story I’m afraid. My cat sadly passed away a little over a week ago :cry: so for now I’m just trying to slow down my wanikani for a bit to not get swamped. I definitely want to finish the book but I’m going to do it at my own pace :).

5 Likes

Oh, no. I’m sorry to hear that.

2 Likes

My dog passed last month, and I also had a weepy week last week because of it and got behind; self care at times like these is important. Please have an empathy hug from a fellow pet parent :hugs:

4 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry to hear that - sending hugs. It was really good of you to check in with us considering.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words @Belthazar @Rowena @Radish8 :slight_smile:

I just found a picture where my cat reminded me of Capone from the story. Look at his scowl haha.

12 Likes

It’s the home stretch, guys… This week we’re starting the final story’s “solution”.

6 Likes

Well that made me do a double take for a bit :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, perhaps not the wisest choice of wording. :stuck_out_tongue:

A right-wing “let’s make Australia white again” type politician over here used the phrase “final solution” in relation to the refugee “problem” here during a speech to parliament a few months ago, and even the politicians more racist than him hissed “shut up! Do you even know what that means?”

2 Likes

Putting the quotation marks around the second word makes it okay though… right?!

Also…

:thinking:

btw, is this the most thoroughly off-topic we’ve gotten on this thread so far?

3 Likes

Aye, indeed.

In this thread, maybe. You started it, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Penultimate week!

5 Likes