なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Page 60;

一日中、おひさまが しずまない 国が ある!

One person translated the 国が as “there is a country” and another translated it as “there are countries.” The following sentences made it clear that the correct was probably “there are countries” since multiple countries are mentioned, but just from that sentence, how would it be possible to tell the difference?

In English pluralization is usually clearly shown however in my limited experience, the pluralization often seems to be left ambiguous in Japanese. I did just learn a “pluralizing suffix” kanji (~達), but I’m not sure how often it’s used.

Could this have been written 国達が or 国たちが? Are there other ways to figure out pluralizations?

Or am I wrong in thinking ambiguous pluralizations could cause somewhat frequent confusion in communication?

EDIT: I guess this answers some of my questions: Japanese/Grammar/Nouns - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

5 Likes

Yes, it’s true that whether it’s plural or not is ambiguous. If you wanted to make it clear, I don’t want to say outright that you couldn’t use 国たち, but to me it sounds strange.

There’s a dedicated plural for countries, which is 国々 (くにぐに), which is like 日々 or 木々.

But generally speaking, Japanese don’t see the ambiguity as a problem. Insisting on pluralizing everything that is actually plural seems strange to them.

4 Likes

Good to know. I guess it’s something I’ll just have to get used to.

Page 62

北極けんでは、六月ごろ、南極けんでは、十二月ごろに 白夜が おとずれます。

The Midnight Sun occurs in the Arctic Circle around June, in the Antarctic Circle it is around December.

白夜と ぎゃくに、日中でも おひさまが のぼらない、「極夜」 も あります。

On the contrary to Midnight Sun, the sun can also not ascend during the day, this is known as “Polar Night”.

Picture Caption
ノルウェーの 白夜の ふうけい。夜でも こんなに 明るい。

The sight of Norway’s Midnight sun. The night is also bright like this.

4 Likes

Page 62:

北極けんでは、六月ごろ、南極けんでは、 十二月ごろに 白夜が おとずれます。

In the Arctic Circle around June and in the Antarctic Circle around December, the Midnight Sun appears

白夜と ぎゃくに、日中でも おひさまが のぼらない、「極夜」 も あります。

The contrary to Midnight Sun, when the sun doesn’t rise during the whole day, it’s know as “Polar Night”

と seems weird here. Like: When Midnight Sun contrary…

Also も. Because the quotation it get the meaning… but it seems to say Polar Night also exists Is there any grammar I’m missing here?

3 Likes

It’s the same と as in 何々と違う (different from something)

3 Likes

I didn’t know that! thank you!

I read it in the context of the previous discussion of 百夜. There also exists Polar Night (in addition to the existence of Midnight Sun that we just talked about)… , with this being the main clause of the sentence.

Yes, that makes sense. It was the quotes, without と or similar that looked weird to me…

There also exists “Polar Night”, the opposite of Midnight Sun, when the sun doesn’t rise during the day.

Interesting coincidence that we hit this chapter bang on winter solstice! Or maybe all carefully planned by marcusp…

4 Likes

LOL! Brilliant! I wish! (We have just had our family Christmas Day here, a couple of days early! The in-laws came over and we cooked up a chicken and all the works, and it really does feel like Christmas Day. WK and Bunpro are both on vacation mode! Happy Christmas everyone!)

3 Likes

Happy Christmas Marcusp. I’m working today but Christmas is in sight! Not sure about putting WK on vacation mode though…

EDIT - corrected first translation

Page 63

ですから、 日の 長い 百夜の じきに、 人びとは 「百夜祭」で 音楽を 楽しんだり、 そのときだけは 子どもも 夜ふかし したります。

Therefore, on the day of the long midnight sun, at “midnight sun festivals” people do things like enjoying music and, as a one off, letting the children stay up late.

(Caption)
ロシアで 行われる 百夜祭。 赤い ほの ふねが まつりの シンボル。

A midnight sun festival is held in Russia. A red sailed ship is the symbol of the festival.

(Side panel)
北極けんの 国を 地図 (2-3ページ) で さがしてみよう。

Let’s try and find the Arctic Circle countries on the map (pages 2-3)

EDIT - updated this sentence after reading this post: なぜ?どうして?Finished! - #934 by microleaf

5 Likes

Page 63:

I don’t have the book here, and I’m going by your transcript. But doesn’t it mean “to enjoy”?

Yes, not sure what I did there. I think I put enjoy and then changed it for some reason. I’ve changed it to enjoy.

Page 64:

「死海」って、いったい どんな 場所?

What the heck is the (place of the) “Death Sea”

あなたは、およぎが とくいですか。

Is swimming your strong point?

およげるように なるには、まず 体の 力を めいて、 うまく 水に うく ことが コツですね。

In order to be become able to swim, the secret to float is, first of all body strength めいて、and be skillful in the water I’m having a lot of problems with this sentence. HELP!!

さいしょは ちょっと 難しいかもしれません。

At first it might be a little difficult

2 Likes

Got pretty much the same as you emucat, also struggling with the same sentence, but this is what I ended up with (noticed you also had a typo, めいて should be ぬいて) :

およげるように なるには = In order to become able to swim
まず 体の 力を ぬいて = first of all your body’s capability is drawn out (?)
うまく 水に うく ことが コツですね = skillfully floating in the water is the trick (?)

Honestly it’s not making much sense right now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Page 64:

Oh!! I had a typo. Thanks. Let me try again!

およげるように なるには、まず 体の 力を ぬいて、 うまく 水に うく ことが コツですね。

In order to be become able to swim, the secret to float is, first of all pull out your body strength and be skillful in the water.

It stills looks a little weird

1 Like

体の力を抜いて

to pull out your body’s strength
to omit your body’s force
to relax your body?

Cartoon
プカプカ - lightly floating

およげる is potential form right? To be able to swim.

およげるようになるには
to be able to swim method of towards to become towards
Translated as - in order to be able to swim

Yes, no mystery there, it’s just an expression.

What is going on there? I don’t know how to get from およげるようになるには to that.

4 Likes