なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Hello there!
Well I think it emphasizes the fine that you have to pay for spitting your gum and then it adds the occasions of selling it.

Hmm don’t forget this is a book for second graders. Maybe it’s just because of that? :smile:

1 Like

I get it as a connector to keep talking about the same topic… like: Continuing, or keep going…

1 Like

Page 32

I think that is a good translation, but I was wondering about the そう.

その 金がくは、なんと 日本円で およそ 八十万円も するそうです。

According to Bunpro, a verb followed by そうだ or そうです is a bit of N3 grammar and means “I heard that”, “It is said that”. So, how about:

“Apparently, this amount in Japanese yen is roughly 800,000 yen”.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

That sounds good to me. I might even add an exclamation point since it says 八十万円.

4 Likes

I didn’t know about that and I wasn’t sure how to translate it, but that sounds good to me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Page 32

Oh yes! I never even noticed that! ! A brand new one for me! Brilliant! Thank you!

1 Like

Page 33

シンガポールは、ゴミのない きれいな 町として 有名ですが、こんな きびしい ルールで、それが まもられているのですね。

My poor stab at it:

シンガポールは、- Singapore + は
ゴミのない - no rubbish
きれいな - 1) beautiful 2) clean
町 - town / neighbourhoods / streets
として - for
有名です - famous
が、- but
こんな - such
きびしい - strict
ルール - rules
で、- by
それが - that / it
まもられている - 守る, to protect, in passive ている form
の - explanatory の
ですね - copula + ね

Singapore is famous for its clean streets without rubbish, but this is protected by strict rules.

4 Likes

Page 33

でん車の中で、なにかたべること。

Eating something in the train.

バスやでん車にドリアン(においの強いくだもの)をもちこむこと。

Carrying Dorian fruits in trains and buses (a fruit with a strong scent).

Is the food section going to be finally over???
I think I got 3 kilos just because of the food I ate while I was reading all of this.

2 Likes

Also according to Kenkyuusha dictionary, なんと can mean “believe it or not; to my surprise” (astonishment expression), eg その時部屋に入ってきたのはなんと私の妻であった “The woman who then entered the room was, believe it or not, my own wife!”
So it can be “Apparently, this amount in Japanese yen is roughly 800,000 yen, believe it or not!

p.s. whew, I managed to catch up!

4 Likes

Here it looks like “N1 はもちろん N2 も” pattern which means “not only N1, but also N2”:
mochiron_
So it can mean “You have to pay a fine not only for throwing away gum as it is (without wrapping it in paper like previous sentences suggest?), but also if you are just seen to have or sell chewing gum

5 Likes

Page 33, some repeated items on here for the pictures which I guess makes things a bit easier :stuck_out_tongue:

でん車の 中で、なにか 食べる こと。

Eating something inside the train.

バスや でん車に ドリアン (においの 強い くだもの) を もちこむ こと。

Bringing a durian (a potent smelling fruit) onto a bus or train.

シンガポールは、ゴミの ない きれいな 町として 有名ですが、こんな きびしい ルールで、それがまもられているのですね。

Singapore is famous for its clean streets without rubbish, such strict rules protect this.

でん車の 中で 食べる こと。

Eat on the train.

バスや でん車に ドリアンを もちこむ こと。

Bring a durian onto a bus or train.

水を ながさずに 公しゅうトイレを でる こと。

Leave a public toilet without flushing.

2 Likes

Page 32

Wow, that’s great! Thank you @twktg! And nice work on catching up too!

Page 31

Brilliant! Perfect! Thank you again @twktg!

In the middle of translating page 34 and I’m having a bit of trouble…

アヒルを やいて、かわを ねぎなどと いっしょに つつんで 食べる りょうりです。

So what I’m getting from this is that duck is roasted, and it’s a dish that is served with the skin of the duck (I think?) with “spring onions etc.” together. I’m a bit confused by つつんで which I think is to do with something being wrapped up or covered? I’m not sure what is being covered though :stuck_out_tongue: Or by what.

Then there’s:

中国や 日本の 春まきと ちがい、えびや 野さいを ライスペーパーに つつんで そのまま 食べます。

I really don’t know how to translate 春まき. Jisho is coming up with “sowing in spring” but I can’t see how that fits into this. I think the first part is saying that there’s a difference between the Chinese and Japanese spring roll compared to the Vietnamese one (ちがい)?

Any ideas? :slight_smile:

1 Like

春 + 巻き = 春巻き

spring roll

2 Likes

Ah, lol, I feel pretty dumb now. :sweat_smile:

Yeah つつんで is the て form of 包む, meaning to wrap, so I think this means:

Unlike (differently to) to Chinese and Japanese spring rolls, shrimp and vegetables are wrapped in rice paper and eaten as is (i.e. raw).

Although seeing as や is used and not と, perhaps that should be:

Unlike, for example, Chinese and Japanese spring rolls…

2 Likes

Page 34

えびを つかって 作る、とても からくて すっぱい スープです

えびを - 海老 - prawn + を
つかって - 使う - to use - in て form, linking it with next verb
作る、- to make, to prepare (food)
とても - very
からくて - 辛い - からい - spicy
すっぱい - 酸っぱい - sour
スープ - soup
です - copula, roughly “is”

“[トムヤムクン] is a sour and very spicy soup made using prawns”

Question 1: Why does the verb “to make” end in the dictionary form in the middle of the sentence? Shouldn’t it be in the て form or something?
Question 2: And shouldn’t it be passive?
Question 3: the くて ending links the adjective “spicy” to the adjective “sour”, right? Like an “and”? Can someone confirm?

Thank you!

It’s modifying スープ. Like 走る男 is “a man who runs.” This is “a soup you make using shrimp.” You can stack those up as much as you want with other modifiers in between. They just put a comma after 作る to help with the flow of reading it a bit.

It could be, but it doesn’t have to be. In this case it just has an implied subject doing the making.

Yes.

5 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you so much @Leebo! You’re very kind and your answers help me a lot!

1 Like