なぜ?どうして?Finished!

かたほうの 手に もって
I think this might be mean “hold the bowl with one (of a pair of) hand” if かたほう is “one of a pair” instead of one option.

3 Likes

I think you are right in the sense that the “food” used in this sentence refers to “fermented food” in context, but maybe it’s also like a closing argument and a bit more generic referencing food in general.

I’m still thinking about this sentence, but maybe 大事に is better translated to “seriously”, although it doesn’t translate well in English. So how about “Eating (food) in earnest and “more tastily” is ancient wisdom”?

Page 26 was pretty straight forward, but isn’t it interesting how they talk about how there’s a “correct” way to eat rice in Japan? :joy: As an American it does not normally occur to me that there could be a right or wrong way to eat a food. My American brain works as such: did you get the food successfully into your face and into your stomach? A+. Bonus points if you didn’t make a mess. F if the item wasn’t made for consumption.

7 Likes

That is true. I don’t think most of Western countries learn table manners outside of their home environment. And by table manners I mean to be able to eat your food than make everything else smeared with food.

1 Like

My understanding was “in one hand” with the implication that the hand in question is not the one you use to eat the rice with, so the other hand’s counterpart. So I eat rice holding the bowl in one hand (the counterpart to the hand with which I’m eating).

Page 24:

I just made the same mistake reading つぼ as つば.

And given that we’re talking about the world’s second stinkiest dish, the fish being put in its own saliva sounded totally logical to me. Haha.

3 Likes

Here are my translations for page 26 & 27. They might be a bit rough as I still feel pretty awful, but I think I’ve got the general idea :stuck_out_tongue:

I think sentences 6, 7 and 8 probably have a few mistakes in them.

韓国では、茶わんを 手に もって 食べないの?

So, in South Korea, don’t they hold the rice bowl by hand when eating?

ごはんを 食べるとき、茶わんを かたほうの 手に もって 食べますね。

When rice is eaten, the bowl is held by one hand, right?

日本では、それが 正しい マナーです。

So, in Japan, in fact that is the correct etiquette.

でも、おとなりの 国、韓国では、ちょっと ちがいます。

But, in neighboring countries, like South Korea, there is a slight difference.

韓国では、ちゃわんを 手に もって 食べるのは、マナーいはんに なります。

In South Korea, eating rice bowl by hand can be an offensive manner.

ちゃわんや しるものの おわんは テーブルに おいたまま、 スプーンで すくって 食べるのです。

The rice bowl, soup bowl etc. remains on the table, and is eaten by spoon.

はしを つかうのは、おかずを とって 食べる ときだけです。

To use chopsticks, a side dish handle is only used on occasion.

おわんに ちょくせつ 口を つけて 食べるのも、いけません。

The bowl must not directly be placed near the mouth when eating.

Picture caption 1
韓国の ごはんの 食べ方

South Korean way of eating rice.

Picture caption 2
日本の ごはんの 食べ方

Japanese way of eating rice.

3 Likes

Page 27:

茶わんや しるものの おわんは テーブルに おいたまま、スプーンで すくって 食べるのです。

Bowls and soup bowls, on the table おいたまま, with spoon to save food ??

I cannot find these words. Do I have a typo??

1 Like

I got stuck on these words as well :S So I ended up basing my translation on the context and the pictures… lol Would love to get clarification on what these are, if anyone knows. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure your translation of “to save food” is right. I think the すくって is 掬う which is to scoop; to ladle out​… so I think it is that the food is ladled out with a spoon?

2 Likes

おいた - to put
まま - occasionally
That is what I found. I don’t remember how :smiley:

And I agree with @Luacat.

So, I think it says something like On the table they occasionally put spoons (along with) rice and soup bowls, to scoop the food. (Since Koreans use spoons more than chopsticks?)

(Btw I am level 10 finally! One more level to start the painful levels! :smiley: )

5 Likes

I would translate this more like:

The use of chopsticks is only (when) for handling side dishes

1 Like

I think it’s actually 儘, meaning “as is”. Jisho examples:

So my translation for おいたまま is “to leave “placed/set””.

Whole sentence:
ちゃわんやしるもののおわんはテーブルに置いたまま、スプーンですくって食べるのです。

Things like rice and soup bowls are left set on the table, and a spoon is used to retrieve (the food) and eat.

5 Likes

I like it!! Except the “and eat” part that I don’t know where it comes from

Also translates as “eat with a spoon”, but that would leave the すくって out.
But either way I think the t-form for verbs indicates chain of actions, so すくって食べる = “scoop out” and “eat”.

2 Likes

It’s because it says 食べもの、 and not 食べる

Sorry, are we talking about the same sentence? The one I translated reads (…) すくって食べるのです , not 食べものです.

So, just to confirm 茶わん means bowl of rice and not bowl of tea? Can it also mean bowl of tea?

Arghsss yes, you are right! Well, the の is nominalazing the verb, right? “The eating” or “the act of eating”

I guess. I’m not the best person to explain though. I read about it in Tae Kim a long time ago, so don’t remember exactly what the grammar function is called or used. But I think it’s the same as saying のこと (“thing”) - maybe the same thing you said - apologies for not knowing the grammar name.

Ah yeah that would make more sense. I had trouble with this one and just assumed there were some type of dishes with a handle on them :stuck_out_tongue: