なぜ?どうして?Finished!

hello! i want to participate, too! i am pretty new to wanikani so i don’t know about reading groups. are we doing it all for ourselves and compare what we achieved or didn’t understand? or are we having f.e. a skype-talk or anything similar? i’m sorry for asking if it’s obvious! nevertheless i wanna try to buy the book by next week, it really looks beautifully made and might be a good choise to practice reading! thank you!

1 Like

Great to have you on-board narururu!

Yes, read at home and then post here on this thread any questions you have, or any translations you make that you want to to check, or ask for help with grammar etc. The page numbers we’ll be reading each day will be in the thread title, and please put the page number at the top of your post too.

There are no plans for a skype-talk or anything, but it’s a great idea. It just needs someone to set it up. When we were reading にゃんにゃん, our last book (though more difficult), some members set up a discord channel so they could chat about the book and not clog up the main thread. So yes, anything is possible!

2 Likes

wow thank you for your fast response! sounds good to me! i’m happy this group is organised because it’s pretty hard to read texts as newbie and try to understand them without help! i hope we all can learn something new from this experience!

also regarding to discord! if this might happen i’d love to join, too! especially pronounciation is still a thing i feel embarrassed about because it’s too obvious i’m not used to talk in japanese! so maybe it’s helping to get a little more confident to talk to other learners and help each other! ofc no must-have, but i’m keeping my eyes open when we all gonna start reading. thank you @marcusp!!

3 Likes

Yes, I hope someone can set that up! (Not me though, I’ll be busy with this main thread!)

1 Like

So, I´m going to Japan soon and thought I might pick this book up while I´m there. Should I be able to find it in bookstores?

1 Like

Yes, that’s where I got mine. It only came out recently (I think I remember) and is very popular, so pretty much every bookshop with kids books will stock it.

1 Like

oh, how bothersome :sweat_smile:
well, gotta see if I can get this done before my vacation

nice one, thank you

1 Like

Haha I already noticed that too.
I thought that there was a box to tick if you want these emails or not, but apparently it was something else :sweat_smile:

Hello. Does anyone know if I can get this book in the UK? I’d like to have the physical book rather than eBook. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know of any bookshops that would stock it (there probably are some if you’re in e.g. London), but you should be able to order it from either Amazon.co.jp or CDJapan; links are in the OP.

I’d personally recommend CDJapan because they have economy shipping options so it tends to be cheaper, but either should deliver to the UK with no problem at all :+1:

2 Likes

Great, thank you. We are in London indeed, but I checked on JP Books website and they don’t seem to have it… Will do what you suggested, thanks!

1 Like

Yep. Going through the Japanese website to order it was an adventure on its own. Allows us to pick up a whole bunch of useful phrases and words for next time we have to order something though!

Anyways, I’m in. This sounds exactly on my level.

I hope some WK Level 9 vocab/Kanji shows up, because I’ve super struggled on this level for some reason.

1 Like

Lol, if it’s on level 9 stuff I’m going to have problems. But I signed up knowing I was in for a challenge! :wink:

3 Likes

I’m with you, I have no idea what to expect. I won’t be looking at the digital copy until a bit closer to the start of this.

I just need some real world context with what I’m seeing on here. So even just one word would be enough lol.

1 Like

The kanji will have furigana, and besides we’ll be reading for 4 months so you may well be past lvl 9 by the end! As the OP says, just ask - we’re all here to help each other :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah, @luckyopal, taking a look at the sample pages on Amazon, all the kanji I see has furigana except for 日本. And the only kanji used appear to be those taught in grades 1 and 2.

Just for comparison to WK, level 8 gives you all grade 1 kanji and 81% of grade 2. Level 12 gives you 89% of grade 2, and level 18 100%.

Personally, I’m hoping to learn some new words using familiar kanji :grinning:

3 Likes

Never done a reading group before but it seems like a great idea so I went ahead and bought the book ahaha. Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I actually just got back on WK this week after about a 6-8 month hiatus (/sigh life) and am slowly making my way through 1500+ reviews. So it was cool to see this thread pop up right after I got back.

I’ve ordered the book and hopefully this reading group will help keep me more motivated :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m in Germany and my copy of the book arrived today, shipped from Spain (verasia.de). They should also ship to the UK. Try verasia.com or verasia.eu.

2 Likes